Books You'd Like To See Made Into Film

soundmotor said:
I am indeed among friends. I'll reread this one every 5 years or so. (Crazy Eddie is not a former NY hifi merchant.)

Staying in the Niven/Pournelle theme, I'll add Lucifer's Hammer.

Both great books. Lucifers Hammer is my all time favorite end of civilization book.
For all you sci-fi fans try Barbara Hambly out. Some of her books would have made great swords and sorcery movies. I think one of them Dragonslayer actually did get made.

scolba said:
Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 or pretty much any Clive Cussler book....except its has to be well done...not the crap that has been done in the past...

I would like to see a well done Cussler movie also, but it probably wouldn't be possible to squeeze in all the historical facts and plot set up that makes his books such an interesting read.

any of the Anita Blake - Vampire books written by Laurell Hamilton.

i think Michelle Rodriquez would be great as Anita Blake.

We have really hit the sci-fi shoulda motherload. I will confess that I like simple stories as much as complex ones especially when it is about the underdog triumphing. Jack Vance barely gets mentioned when sci-fi books come up. Neither does Andre Norton. For the most part they wrote simple stories that I still enjoyed immensely along the way. My favorites from Vance are "Emphyrio" followed by "The Blue World". From Norton, "Sargasso of Space" followed by "Star Guard". Both would lend themselves nicely to movie treatment because there is a reasonably complex plot in all of these with multiple surprises and turnarounds.

Getting more complex and deeper into tech is "Inherit the Stars" by James Hogan. The hook is simple, what happens when you find a spacesuited dead body on the moon that is 50,000 years old? It gets into the origins of man on earth that (IMO) blows away the whole von Daniken, God was an astronaut theme. There are several books in the series but the first one trumps all. I read the book first 25+ years ago and it is filled with imagery not unlike 2001 brought to the screen along with lots of interplay between characters. In many ways, it is very like 2001 but completely unique.

Space War and battle has plenty to choose from

Steakley - "Armor"
Haldeman - "The Forever War"
Saberhagen - anything from the "Bezerker" series, the original Borg except they do not assimilate.

All 3 writers have a good feel for action, the stories do not drag, and the characters seem real. Saberhagen doesn't get as deeply into character development for the humans but sure does for the Bezerkers. An unrelenting machine intelligence that is adaptive, resourceful, and totally committed to the extermination of mankind anywhere it can find them in the galaxy. There are 8-10 books in the Bezerker series.

I saw the earlier mention of "Enemy Mine". I could not agree more as to what total crap that was. I recall when it was out one of the director's most proud accomplishments was that they'd integrated a futuristic container of Pepsi into the "story". With so many good works to choose from, it amazes me what gets picked to be made and who is chosen to do it.

electronjohn said:
Interesting article on MSN today on why we, sigh, might be barking up the wrong tree:http://movies.msn.com/movies/sci-fi?GT1=7701

I believe it reinforces the earlier comment that ultimately it comes down to the vision & skill of the director to correctly bring the any book to screen. It also seems to be saying between the lines that too few actually get science fiction for it to be portrayed correctly & therefore needs to be modified for general public consumption.

Being a retired Smoke Jumper,I always thought Norman Mcleans-
"YOUNG MEN & FIRE" would make a good film (man gulch fire tradgedy)
Bob redford did a good job with Mcleans "A river runs through it"
wish he'd take a poke at this one.
Another book I feel would make a good flick is Edward Abbeys"THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG"
Mark!

Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Mostly just to see who would play the part of Ignatious Reilly
If you know this book you know what I mean

I would have liked to have seen Gates of Fire made into a movie before 300 ever was...

I don't know, they already made a lot of my favorite books into movies :D I thought the adaptation of Black Hawk Down was stunning.

MikeyN said:
Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Mostly just to see who would play the part of Ignatious Reilly
If you know this book you know what I mean

They had Will Ferrell all signed up & ready to go.

Thank God the project collapsed.

The King of Paradise gas is not Will Ferrell.

Chris Rock however could play Jones in his sleep.

Confederacy of Dunces..

You are right on...I love Farrel but no can do for Ignatious..Maybe he could pull it off but I don't know if justice would be served.
I didn't know COD was in consideration for the big screen. I would love to see what Hollywood would come up with..

Dusty Chalk said:
Correction -- any of the early ones -- the later ones would basically be rated X.

What's your point:D

Cripes, now I'm reading "Also Sprach Zarathurstra", no, I'm sorry, no movie there....ever....

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to gain control of the masses by evoking their herd instinct. bhahahahahaha!!!!

MikeyN said:
I didn't know COD was in consideration for the big screen.

The only one casted that made even remote sense was Olympia Dukakis which I'd guess was ITR's mom -

CoD Collapses

Can't picture Drew Barrymore as Myrna Minkoff. Janeane Garofalo perhaps, but not Barrymore. Last time I checked Mos Def had not been cast. Maybe he could pull off Jones, maybe.

I'd rather see this unmade than screwed up but after "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" debacle I don't have high hopes that it will be left alone.

Back
Top Bottom