Borrow, loan, try

Ski

what?
Subscriber
I realized the other day (some time ago) that between the bunch of us, we have a bunch of gear that isn't being used. I would rather let somebody try a pair of speakers, jitter reducer, or cables that I have, than to have them collect dust. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

Obviously it would be voluntary and depend on your level of comfort with that person and the gear in question.

I'll start:

AA jitter reducers
AA DAC
Accurian amp
Teac chip amp
Klipsch 5.1 decoder
Magnepan SMGb pair
JBL Lancer 33 pair
DIY interconnects

OK, I'll add

- ESS AMT 1C Econowave hybrid speakers
- American Monitor 8 speakers

I would love to try your speakers.

I can't believe this resource might go to waste.

I think this thread is an excellent idea. I am surprised more folks haven't chimed in.

Folks need to realize that there's no obligation here once you've listed your stuff to lend out. Also it may be nice to include temporary TRADE here too. I'd lend out my phono preamp for example if I was assured of getting something else to replace it in my system for a limited amount of time.

Jeff

Andy - I would love to borrow (or at least spend some time with) your DIY RCM. I recently got back into vinyl and would like to build one myself. I know there are links but they can't compare to actual visual and tactile versions. I'm stupid like that.

I would love to borrow a phono stage from somebody, but something cheap that I might consider buying (not happening right now) or something to give me a taste of what my rig could do.

Hey Mark,
I'm not sure if it's what you're after, but I have a Music Hall mmf phono pack that supports moving magnet & moving coil cartridges if you want to give it a listen. I found it a bit bright compared to the Bugle.
This is a great idea except I would have a hard time returning most of these offerings. :D
The DAC, AMT's & A-25's sound very intriguing. :thmbsp:
Steve

I have a Sansui Tu217 tuner if someone wants to try it out. This came pretty close to my TU717 in terms of sound - it sounds, for lack of a better phrase, a little smaller than the 717. It's a nice tuner...if anybody listens to FM broadcasts anymore:scratch2:

Jeff

It's a nice tuner...if anybody listens to FM broadcasts anymore:scratch2:

Jeff

Jeff: Where's the CBC2 plug??? :lmao:

Mark: You're welcome to come on over sometime and we can mess with the RCM a bit. Bring some vinyl and we'll scrub it up.

Steve: If you're SMAC'ing tomorrow, I can bring the A-25s

Yes...if you live in SE Michigan (or Canada for that matter) and haven't been listening to CBCRadio2, you should.

Check it out here:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/

Available in Detroit metro area at 89.9 FM.

Shameless Radio2 plugger:smoke:
Jeff

Sorry I missed the post and the meet Andy, I hope you didn't drag them around for nothing.
Things are just pretty hectic right now. I'll touch base with you sometime soon.
Steve

I've got a bunch of different tube amps I could loan out, from push pull triode/UL
to single ended triode/UL to paralell single ended pentode to paralell single ended
Triode/UL.

(2) Kenwood 220wpc M2A amps.

Plenty of different tubes as well, if someone wants to roll something in there gear.

SKI I still got your A25's and other things here, we should get together.

----------

Oh yah quite a "few" speakers to, some would be Polk Monitor 10's with the new Polk Tweet.
Polk monitor 7's with the peerless tweeter, polk monitor 11's, ADS 880's, Pioneer HPM 60, my
homemade Mini monitor 6.5" woofer and Bolenger ribbon tweeter, Parts express BR-1, b&w 500
Paradigm medium sized 2-way, Diatone (High end of mitsibushi only available over seas) some
Kef 2.5 way, Realistic minumus seven, a pair of Klipsch RC7's can be used as center or an MTM.
(Yah there is..... well maybe just a couple more, oh yah some different JBL's, OK to many to list) :sigh:

Ski:

I also have a DIY RCM. You can check it out anytime as well. It was easy to build, and I actually did it in stages. I salvaged a platter from an old Dual TT that Squidward had and bought a microwave cart from Target to mount it on. The vac is just a Home Depot 1 gallon shop vac with various PVC plumbing attachments to lead the nozzle up to the top of the platter. At first manual and then...

Later, I added an ice cream motor and popped in a switch. Now fully automatic. It works great. Don't know how I ever got along without it.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59115

Jeff

There be good people in MI - I miss these guys!

We miss you and Gloria as well. Wish we could get together once in awhile and spin some tunes. Still have a Blossom Dearie CD you made for me from one of the SMAC music swaps. Great stuff :D

Hang in there:smoke:

Peace
Jeff

Hi Jeff, Out of curiosity, what is the RPM with your ice ream machine motor?

I built a DIY RCM with a $2 thrift store ice cream maker. However, mine rotates at close to 38RPM and it is not very effective at vacuuming the schmootz off the record at that speed. I have resorted to doing it manually so I can get a better vacuum for each pass. I tried using a variac to slow down the motor, but it didn't work.

Don

Yep, mine is fast as well. How did you measure the speed of yours? I'd say 38rpm is about what mine is doing - faster than a turntable by a bit.

I'd agree it's not as effective at that speed. I submitted a thread here asking for help but other than re-gearing the thing I couldn't figure out how to slow it down.

However, I think that it does work if you simply leave the record on longer. I let mine rotate for a good minute or two to get the record completely dry.

Having said that, I'd still like to get the thing slowed down.

What kind of suction tube are you using and how powerful a vacuum?

Jeff

Would a variac work as a speed control ? About the only way I can think of to slow it down other then re gearing it.

I measured mine the old fashioned way - I set my digital egg timer for 60 seconds and counted the revolutions! :)

I too have resorted to just leaving it on longer, but in my mind I think the suction deeper in the groove is better at a slower speed.

As for suction, I bought the smallest wet/dry "shop" vac that Sears carries (on sale for $29.95). I covered the end of the crevice tool wand and cut a slit along the edge. Then I attached a Nitty-Gritty RCM suction pad over the slit, much like their machine. The is LOTS of suction - the record goes "thoomp" against the wand and the suction holds the record against the brush as it turns underneath.

I'll try to find my camera and take a few pics. Maybe tonight.

Would a variac work as a speed control ? About the only way I can think of to slow it down other then re gearing it.

When I used a variac to try to slow it down, I found that about 0-40% on the dial resulted on no movement and 41%-100% resulted in full speed. The narrow area from 40-41% (roughly) is what allowed the motor to slow, but it was so touchy, and the motor lost so much torque, that it turned out to be not useful at all.

I recall that a friend of a friend of a friend reuilds various motors as part of his job. I have been meaning to try to contact him to see if he can just suggest something.

I should add that re-gearing it is probably outside of my ability, or at least certainly beyond my threshold of patience! :)

Back
Top Bottom