Bose Acoustimass stacked cube speakers into the mix..

Ramseybella

AK Member
I had a pair of black stacked Bose Acusticmass speakers laying in a box i bought at a thrift store a couple years ago.
I decided to pair them up on top my KLH model six speakers as an extra added mid range.
Sort of surprised how it turned out, sound good together.
Anyone play with these cubes?

Likely no one would admit it here even if they did. :) I have a pair of Bose 161's that I have used in various ways. They worked quite well with an old Optimus Pro SW-12 passive sub. I have been tempted to pick up a "factory refreshed" Acoustimass 5 system to play with. That might be some fairly
cheap fun ($250).

Much virtue in small enclosure, one driver (in multiples) and no cross-over. Of course, some challenges, too. I think that for the money, Bose did pretty well.

I have a friend with an Acoustimass surround. It really does not sound bad for movies. It is just that for the same money, you can probably do better.

Intertubes law: no one is allowed to like Bose products. To do so otherwise is to incur the wrath of audio thought police.

Given that I could give 2 schitts what the audio thought police have to say, have tried my old "red-line" dual cubes in parrallel connections with a variety of speakers and they sounded OK to me.

Much virtue in small enclosure, one driver (in multiples) and no cross-over. Of course, some challenges, too. I think that for the money, Bose did pretty well.

I find it odd that the single driver fans seldom defend Bose, a company that did single drivers and bass augmented wide range drivers long before it was cool to do so. Yet they defend chinless 3” Fostexes and Lowthers that sound like Battle of Britain air raid sirens.

Love those little cubes.
I flip them for profit every time I get some.
Even parts units flip.

Bose is not bad gear, it’s just not as good as Bose says it is.

But don’t tell my buyers, OK?

When I was a alarm installer my boss became a Bose distributor. We did both the Acustimass #3 and #5 family room systems controled by a cd/tuner station and the remote worked on radio waves not ir line of sight. Get this, also the 3 room hi-hat ceiling systems. Each amp which looked like a car amplifier was to be mounted in either a closet or hung on a bsmt wall. Each amp controlled 3 rooms of 2 hi-hat speakers and a volume control and one sub woofer per amp. This is when the building boom and condo mania was going on so thousands of these systems were sold. For a family that didn't know any better it sounded great w/ all the H/T effects coming from a controller that had a 6 cd cartridge and tuner. The 3 room systems were mainly for background party music and was audiophile nothing. Fun to install all wires were home run back to the amps and were very expensive for what you got. They made 2 models of hi-hat speakers. 1- only compatible w/ Bose wire and gear and 2-you could use any brand wire,volume controls and and amps so desired. Oh, some people didn't like the look of the cubes so during the pre wire we would build in wall shelves, install on finish up then cut out a grill cover used for regular in wall speakers.

I like the 2 Bose products that I have.
Pay no attention to brand name bashers.
I also like the combination of a large conventional speaker and a smaller pair set up near-field speakers.

I have a friend with an Acoustimass surround. It really does not sound bad for movies. It is just that for the same money, you can probably do better.

I will not argue at all, but... For many, the WAF of the Bose cubes and bone-stupid ease of use can't be beat.

Well hidden inside the TV stand and the wifey who otherwise cant program the coffee pot can operate the remote from another room to quickly switch sources, volume, et al. My Onkyo, Sony, and HK AVRs and remotes require FAA certs to understand all the buttons and features and the patience of Job to await the switch from DVR to BluRay.

Bose is akin to the Apple of audio.

I find it odd that the single driver fans seldom defend Bose, a company that did single drivers and bass augmented wide range drivers long before it was cool to do so. Yet they defend chinless 3” Fostexes and Lowthers that sound like Battle of Britain air raid sirens.
Likewise, I also find it odd that on one hand, some audiophiles criticize Bose for not publishing full specs on their products, while other audiophiles (different audiophiles? - and usually in the defense of tubes, vinyl or horns) tout that all that matters is how a product sounds, not how it measures. :idea:

Likewise, I also find it odd that on one hand, some audiophiles criticize Bose for not publishing full specs on their products, while other audiophiles (different audiophiles? - and usually in the defense of tubes, vinyl or horns) tout that all that matters is how a product sounds, not how it measures. :idea:

If you like it. It it sounds good to your ears, then that's good enough.
Who cares if others don't like it.
They are not there with you. Thank goodness.
So screw 'em.

They sound good as an addition to another pair of larger speakers. Took them out for now, back to the SPICA's still breaking in the new surrounds.

Back
Top Bottom