Boston Acoustics A-400 worth it?

Great speakers, good score. :tresbon: I'm listen to just about everything, but right now I have on some Bach written for pipe-organ and recorded in a cathedral. Pipe organs can get hit some low base and this sounds fantastic.

On another note, I believe my surrounds are original. They are not blown, but really soft. Would changing the surrounds change the sound of the speakers?

Best,
Doug

Sweet. I noticed the original foam on these are flatter than what I have seen with re-foam kits. Is it just because of age or are they made that way?

They are made that way. That being said, I've re-foamed A-70's and my A-100s with the generic foam kits from Parts Express, and they sound fine to me. There are sources for the correct replacement foam for these, that have the less rounded profile, but I wasn't aware of them at the time I did my other BA speakers. The A-400 will surprise you with how deep the bass goes. They are rated down to 38Hz +- 3dB. No sub needed with these speakers. :no:

Attachments

• A-400brochure1a.jpg
    A-400brochure1a.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,973
  • A-400brochure2a.jpg
    A-400brochure2a.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 2,267
To tide me over...

Picked up a pair of original Klipsch Heresys for $7 to listen to until the re-foam kit arrives.

Attachments

• PA130043.jpg
    PA130043.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I have one pair of A400s upstairs in walnut and another pair in the basement in oak. I paid $125 for Oak and got Walnut for free. Very nice speakers. Congratulations.

They are made that way. That being said, I've re-foamed A-70's and my A-100s with the generic foam kits from Parts Express, and they sound fine to me. There are sources for the correct replacement foam for these, that have the less rounded profile, but I wasn't aware of them at the time I did my other BA speakers. The A-400 will surprise you with how deep the bass goes. They are rated down to 38Hz +- 3dB. No sub needed with these speakers. :no:

Thanks for posting the A400 brochures! I've been looking for these for a long time.

I always get excited when I find stuff that's in the original box...my wife thinks it's stupid to keep the boxes..but I've shown her that..at least in my experience in this hobby, people who save the boxes seem to take better care of their stuff and are cleaner. The also usually have the literature as well so if you get bored with it and want to sell, it's an easy sell w/ the boxes......what size are the drivers in these a400's? are they 8's or 10's? is one passive? Do they come with the stands like the one in the pic?

I always get excited when I find stuff that's in the original box...my wife thinks it's stupid to keep the boxes..but I've shown her that..at least in my experience in this hobby, people who save the boxes seem to take better care of their stuff and are cleaner. The also usually have the literature as well so if you get bored with it and want to sell, it's an easy sell w/ the boxes......what size are the drivers in these a400's? are they 8's or 10's? is one passive? Do they come with the stands like the one in the pic?

There two active 8 inch woofers wired in a series (If I remember right).... To the poster... Great score by the way, as of now my A400's are my main speakers. What year are these B.A's anyways?

They were made between 83-87, according to my Orion BB. I have still to refoam these. I hope to get to them by the next mount. I keep getting side tracked by other projects. Right now I'm using ESS AMT1D's as my main stereo speakers. Don't know why angry face is in heading

Last edited:
Finally re-foamed A400's

Well, here it is nearly four years later & finally refoamed my A-400. :D This is the first time I pulled them all the way out of the box. Yes they do sound sweet. Just had other projects & speakers that distracted me. Now trying to take care of some other speaker projects to free up room in the garage. The bodys were in very good shape, however the grills has cat scratch fever in spots, one small spot in paticular, but hard to notice with them set in the corners. Wish I had done them sooner. :music:

Attachments

• P8220047.jpg
    P8220047.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 178
  • P8220048.jpg
    P8220048.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
There two active 8 inch woofers wired in a series (If I remember right).... To the poster... Great score by the way, as of now my A400's are my main speakers. What year are these B.A's anyways?

The drivers are dated 1985.

Anyone have a list of the capacitors? Mine are in storage and I have been meaning to order the caps from PE someday.

If I recall when I refoamed mine, the crossover components were not easy to see, therefore it would be nice to have a list of the caps before deciding to undertake the project.

If I recall when I refoamed mine, the crossover components were not easy to see, therefore it would be nice to have a list of the caps before deciding to undertake the project.
Well since you mentioned it.... I have a whole thread with lots of pictures about recapping my A400s. I have gotten side tracked and not finished the second one, but check out here

Well since you mentioned it.... I have a whole thread with lots of pictures about recapping my A400s. I have gotten side tracked and not finished the second one, but check out here

So your the fellow that got the free A400's. I saw the link to them yesterday doing a search on them. Cool. I am in Huntsville. :thmbsp: Mine did not need a total rebuild. LOL

Boston A400 how do I know if caps are failing

Hi Tromba
Thanks for all the info and pics on replacing caps. Pleasantly surprised to see that. I bought a pair of BA400's today. Long trip to pack them back but was so impressed by the A70's I bought 4 months ago I had to try the 400's.
How do I know if the caps are in need of replacement? These do sound a little muddy to me. I should note the bases (home made) are rubbish and aren't on...that might be affecting the sound?
Lastly....these have acoustic foam around the mid and tweeter (applied like a frame about 2" from the drivers and 3 to 4 inches wide). I've never seen anyone else do this and am wondering if these would alter things to the negative?

Well, here it is nearly four years later & finally refoamed my A-400. :D This is the first time I pulled them all the way out of the box. Yes they do sound sweet. Just had other projects & speakers that distracted me. Mowtrying to take care of some speaker projects to free up room in the garage. The bodys were in very good shape, however the grills has cat scratch fever in spots, one small spot in paticular, but hard to notice with them set in the corners. Wish I had done them sooner. :music:

Nice!
BTW, how do the new surrounds with higher roll sound?
I got a pair that needs surrounds.
Where did you get the surrounds from?
Thanks

Me loVE it ! Great buy brother ! Now you get to do some kraftwerk 2 !! best regards ! Bump for images !! (vsat88)

Back
Top Bottom