Bought a Technics SU-8099 (aka 99A)

Berre

The amp costs me 100 € (130 $). Can't wait to pick it up next tuesday. I read it happens to be a rather rare model; with a solid reputation.

The current owner says it's working just fine, only a few small scratches on the front panel :(

So, I guess it's a good catch. It will need a bit of cleaning, obviously, probably a recap as well. Le'ts hope it turns out to be a "bull's eye".

Now, my main problem is how to tell my wife - she has no clue - I just bought number five...

My second problem is finding a service manual.

I picked up the su-8099 amp three days ago.

It shows clearly that is has been mistreated and neglected for a long time. I spent two days repairing serious defects. Tone control was out of order. I also have to replace a burned output relay (10A!), which was not available at the local shop. Obviously, the amp has suffered a shorted output channel.

Inside, the amp is one hell of a disgusting rat's nest! All parts and cables are covered with a sticky layer of tar, nicotine and dust. Prints and componants are not readable anymore. I have to take the amp apart completely and clean it bit by bit, piece by piece.

The restauration will take time and effort, but it will be worthwile! Today it already sounds great and the only way is up!

The front panel shows a few serious scratches. The only way to take care of this is to cover the face plate with a laser engraved new stainless steel plate which will cost me 200$.

Some parts, like the cap covering the transformator, the case and the base plate, are seriously corroded; so the amp has suffered condensation in a cold environment (bar, cafe, disco? It clearly needs a fine paint job.

Maybe I shouldn't have bought it, but I just could not resist the charm of this old beast. ;)

Congratulations! Extra-rare item for Europe, a little more common in the U.S. One of the best integrated amps ever made by Matsushita (in my opinion only exceeded by the models SU-V100D [Japan only], SU-V900 and SU-MA10).

Oh, and:
:worthless

Just a few pics illustrating how bad this amp looks. BTW, I did not find it on the bottom of a local river ;)

Maybe I will replace the faceplate by a stainless steel one, since the original one displays a nasty scratch. Nowadays it's perfectly possible to have a new one cut and engraved by a CO2 laser. One can send a layout (dwg file) by E-mail, two days later the finished plate arrives by snail mail.

I asked for an estimate at a local company that provides this kind of service. They make all kinds of metal signs and info-boards. They also laser engrave wooden panels; impressive.

The new faceplate for my amp would cost me 200 $; which, I guess, is not too much for one single piece.

Attachments

• DSC03978.jpg
    DSC03978.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC03981.jpg
    DSC03981.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC03983.jpg
    DSC03983.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC03984.jpg
    DSC03984.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC03996.jpg
    DSC03996.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC03990.jpg
    DSC03990.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 154
After five days of scrubbing, cleaning and sanding & polishing it looks like this:

Attachments

• DSC04017.jpg
    DSC04017.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC04015.jpg
    DSC04015.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC04011.jpg
    DSC04011.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC04008.jpg
    DSC04008.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC04016.jpg
    DSC04016.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 252
Wow! That's a pretty amazing transformation on that 8099! That is one integrated that's been on my mental list of integrated amps to buy for years. Great job! Looks like the top cover has been sanded to metal. Is that aluminum or a ferrous metal? I would think some sort of coating would be in order for that bare metal. :scratch2:

Polished metal knobs?! I can't believe it…:drool:
Congrats! Awesome refurbishment work you've done there!

I didn't know there existed transistors having the label "Technics" printed to their enclosures.

Looks like the top cover has been sanded to metal. Is that aluminum or a ferrous metal? I would think some sort of coating would be in order for that bare metal. :scratch2:
I sanded the top cover completely, including the side panels. It is a ferrous metal; it had nasty corrosion "spiders" all over the surface proliferating under the original paint. One of these days I'll spray it with a clear coat.

Polished metal knobs?! I can't believe it…:drool:
Congrats! Awesome refurbishment work you've done there!

I didn't know there existed transistors having the label "Technics" printed to their enclosures.

Polishing those knobs is not really that difficult. I removed the original anodised layer, which is extremely hard, using 100 grain sanding paper. Then I removed the scratches with grain 600; which is lot easier, since the bare aluminium is much a softer material. Next I polished the knob with a "vintage" metal polish paste and a soft cloth.

It takes about one hour to get one knob shine like a christmas ball.

Is it a Steinway ? No, it's a Technics... ;)
Make no mistake, this is a multi hour job. Sanding, painting (x15), over and over again. The main ingredients are ... patience and endurance.

Attachments

• DSC04023.jpg
    DSC04023.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 126
And another one ... (fortunately, it didn't "bite the dust...")

Attachments

• DSC04022.jpg
    DSC04022.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 125
nice restoration..i have the same model like yours here in the Philippines... i'll try to post pics when time will allow me to do so..... mine is black though.... whats your impression with your amp(sound)? did you recap it?

Wow, that looks great, though I'm kind of on the fence about the polished knobs. I too have an SU-8099 that my father bought new in '79. It's a great sounding amp, but it has finally come to the time of needing a recap. When time and money permits, I'll recap it.

i'll have mine recap as well... will just ask how much will it cost..... at the moment my amp still working ok...currently driving DYNAUDIO Audience 42...
which is 4ohms

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom