Braun L 810 originals

I got some cloth grills for cheap off the 'Bay, for the badges, and decided to have the whole grills shipped here, in case anyone wanted them. Funny thing, however- they fit my L630s perfectly.

BuckNaked said:
I don't recall a 710 with foam surrounds...

All the earliest 710's had them, whether Braun, aDs, & ADS. Sometime during the latter cloth grille era they switched to rubber and all the metal grille versions were rubber as well. The change could have coincided w/ the ADS name change but that is conjecture.

BuckNaked said:
There is another thread that goes into more detail about the history of Braun and A/D/S. The short of it is that an engineer from Braun relocated in the US and was to import Brauns. It was eventually decided that it would be more economical to import the drivers only, and build the cabinets stateside. A/D/S was born from this and thus you will find that the 810 series is the same driver compliment, yet there were 2 distinct cabinet styles. The metal grills and rounded corners would be the early version one would assume, and the cloth grills with the square corners were the latter version.

Godehard Guenther was not a Braun engineer, he was a NASA engineer living in the US. (However, he did work w/ Werner "I make the rockets go up" von Braun the ex-Nazi rocket scientist while with NASA.) Guenther was a hifi enthusiast and began importing Braun speakers for sale into the US market while still w/ NASA which later fully evolved into the company ADS. In 1981, Gillette aproached ADS and ADS bought Braun's hifi division from them and owned it for ~10 years. Tail wags dog.

The early speakers you are referring to were Brauns and did indeed have metal grilles and round shouldered cabinets but those are not ADS. First production ADS had cloth grilles and square corners. Metal grilles for ADS were a ways down the road.

thedelihaus said:
Did any of the 810s come with foam surrounds?

I know of 3 pair of 710s with foam instead of rubber, yet, to my bemusement, the L630s I got, in square boxes with sharp-edged corners and cloth grills are rubber.

My guess is, until ADs got up to speed with the project, the square-boxed, cloth-grilled cabs were easier to produce here in the states, than the very distinctive beveled-edge, metal grill units, of which you'd need a custom supplier for those grills, and a firm agreement with whomever to manufacture those distinctive Braun-style cabinets.

Not 100% sure on the 810 woofers but it is a possibility on the Braun ones.

Your guess is probably accurate on the cabinet production. ADS used 2 vendors early on. One was Jasper (Kimball Pianos) out of Indiana and the other was Pine & Baker in Massachusetts. The later bevel cornered cabinets were made by Hados from Germany. Pine & Baker built for Aerial too early on and may still. Advanced students of ADS will know the significance of that.

:thmbsp:

Aerial now gets their cabinets from Denmark... apparently, nobody in the US could hold the quality control standards they needed.

Regards,
Gordon.

The earliest models of the L-710 and L-810 can be identified by the use of the letter "A" following the model number. I have a much beloved pair of L-710A's that I bought around 1973. They have the square corners and cloth grilles. They are labeled as ADS/Braun L-710a. I recently replaced the woofers ( not bad for foam surrounds to last 30+ years :thmbsp: ) and found that the drivers were labeled as Braun. :smoke:

AlleyKat said:
The earliest models of the L-710 and L-810 can be identified by the use of the letter "A" following the model number. I have a much beloved pair of L-710A's that I bought around 1973. They have the square corners and cloth grilles. They are labeled as ADS/Braun L-710a. I recently replaced the woofers ( not bad for foam surrounds to last 30+ years :thmbsp: ) and found that the drivers were labeled as Braun. :smoke:
The L-810 was the first that was out in 1973 that is labeled Braun with no ADS marked on it, the L-810A was started after that in 1974 and I'm not sure if they had the ADS name on them then. Mine have rounded corners with metal grills and "Braun" is labeled in the rubber of the surrounds
I can't say for sure about the L-710's.

This is a pic of the inside of my Braun L810's, the frames are cast on the woofers...are the early ADS the same as this?
Also, is the crossover the same?

Attachments

• BRAUN 1 AK.JPG
    BRAUN 1 AK.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 142
  • BRAUN MIDS TWEETS AK.JPG
    BRAUN MIDS TWEETS AK.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 113
  • BRAUN XOVER AK.JPG
    BRAUN XOVER AK.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 113
The woofers in my two pair of L810s don't look like those (I have an early series II and a later series II). The basket in mine are stamped steel I would guess. Also, the inside of the cabinets would show seperate chambers for each woofer.

I always thought the series IIs were easy to spot due to the smaller tweeter size, but maybe that is not a reliable identifier.

Mike

sherin said:
This is a pic of the inside of my Braun L810's, the frames are cast on the woofers...are the early ADS the same as this?
Also, is the crossover the same?

hawkeye mike said:
The woofers in my two pair of L810s don't look like those (I have an early series II and a later series II). The basket in mine are stamped steel I would guess. Also, the inside of the cabinets would show seperate chambers for each woofer.

I always thought the series IIs were easy to spot due to the smaller tweeter size, but maybe that is not a reliable identifier.

Mike
I have only seen the woofers with the stamped basket other than mine with the cast baskets, they don't have speaker connectors either....just a wire coming through a slot on the rear of the cabinet.

ReEdger said:
They have the exact same drivers as the ADS L810. The drivers have a slightly different look, but they are the same.
I would imagine that any specs on the ADS L810's would be the same for the Braun.
These are not the same as any ADS L810 that I have seen.

I'm a newbie here but I thought I'd mention that I was just given, by my father-in-law a set of ADS L810s. They have the radiused corners, rubber surrounds, and metal grill. He just asked me if I wanted them, thinking they were outdated. I'm driving them with a modern 70 watt per channel Yamaha receiver (...I know) I'd like to find a good Marantz, etc that matches up with these great speakers. They are so much more detailed and rich sounding than my JBL L1s.

Any suggestions on vintage amplifiers?

vintage amps

I'm a newbie here but I thought I'd mention that I was just given, by my father-in-law a set of ADS L810s. They have the radiused corners, rubber surrounds, and metal grill. He just asked me if I wanted them, thinking they were outdated. I'm driving them with a modern 70 watt per channel Yamaha receiver (...I know) I'd like to find a good Marantz, etc that matches up with these great speakers. They are so much more detailed and rich sounding than my JBL L1s.

Any suggestions on vintage amplifiers?

i have a mcintosh 6100 and its powered my braun 810's for 35yrs Franklin

Yes yes shoot me dead like this thread was.
So the Braun L810 is made out of walnut and the back plate is made of plastic?

Bought a pair a while ago and would like to restore the cabinets. I just couldn't figure out what the hell it was made out of or the back plate.

Last edited:
Even though the thread is old I still enjoyed reading it! Having a pair of ADS L810 with the raidiused corners and metal grills, any info about these speakers and any ADS speakers is entertaining and informative. Great vintage brand, that looks and sounds great!

I acquired a few pair of L700 and L710 cabinets with grills that have never had a driver or crossover screwed into them
if anyones interested -?

Yes yes shoot me dead like this thread was.
So the Braun L810 is made out of walnut and the back plate is made of plastic?

Bought a pair a while ago and would like to restore the cabinets. I just couldn't figure out what the hell it was made out of or the back plate.

I have been working on a pair of Braun L810's. Still have to finish up the cab's but that back, from what I can tell, is three 1/4" thick pieces of Masonite glued together and then coated with something like an automotive filler product used before painting.

Hi,

I’m looking to audition a pair of Braun 810.

Anyone ever came across grills on 810’s such as in the attached picture?

Also, aren’t the woofers supposed to look identical? Bigger cones on lower pair caught my eye...

Many thanks
Boris

Attachments

• 30EACF53-2614-43C4-B10B-06C145E64099.png
    30EACF53-2614-43C4-B10B-06C145E64099.png
    299.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 92C7E9B2-534B-44F6-9A93-F3B185775721.png
    92C7E9B2-534B-44F6-9A93-F3B185775721.png
    312.5 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom