brewing

Just went out and picked the scrawny little crop. About a half pound of Centennial and a pound of Cascade. Drying them out in lower room. Spread out on a tray and have a De-humidifier running. Takes about six hours.

Should be good for a 10g batch or a couple 5s by using a neutral bittering hop then those for flavor and aroma. Long as not looking for a super hop bomb, anyway.

Yup, it does look good, :thumbsup: but ain't you 2 weeks early? Might wanna save some for October.

Wanna say like 5.9% on the ABV, but I'm not for sure.
Yea that was a test. I have several beer snobs in my Beer club who always ask what is missed in a description. I always try to take a gravity reading a few times when brewing but with charts at a certain temperature and having to calculate ABV at the temp of the wort calculating can be tough. I just recently went to a refractor and love it. Compared it to what I thought was the result of the specific gravity and was satisfied it was better and easier to use.
The fact you lagered your beer is a accomplishment to hold on to. It's a lot tougher than Ales.

Yea that was a test. I have several beer snobs in my Beer club who always ask what is missed in a description. I always try to take a gravity reading a few times when brewing ...

Oh, I take my gravity readings of the pre boil, post boil, and after fermentation. I just don't keep very good notes if it's about right. LOL.

Mystery Pale Ale went into the keg today, but it cost me a fermenter. Still had been using a 6.5 gal glass carboy and while it was filling for PBW soak I heard a slight "pop". Didn't think much of it as I was washing some other stuff but then noticed my sock was getting wet. What the???

Lifted the carboy (in a plastic milk crate, btw) and sure enough it's dripping so into the wash tub the whole thing went. It's still going down...slowly. Bummer.

Mystery Pale Ale went into the keg today, but it cost me a fermenter. Still had been using a 6.5 gal glass carboy and while it was filling for PBW soak I heard a slight "pop". Didn't think much of it as I was washing some other stuff but then noticed my sock was getting wet. What the???

Lifted the carboy (in a plastic milk crate, btw) and sure enough it's dripping so into the wash tub the whole thing went. It's still going down...slowly. Bummer.
True tragedy. I always fear tapping mine together just once the wrong way. been lucky so far.
I usually wash with Dawn & Brush where needed and rinse well. Sanitize with both one-step and a squirt of San-Star.
Siphon some into anything and ferment it???

Bavarian Double Boc with Goats on it. damn!!

My last beer for the night cause the volume goes up too much and it's late. Got out the ole standby Stout. Can sip on it for a while.
IMG_4920.JPG

You are a good influence. I am going to clean the keg fridge. See something growing on the bottom in a spill. Have enough grain for at least two batches of mystery beer. Hops in the freezer need cooking. Yeast?.. Well I will check em out. Been in the fridge a while. A quick trip can fix whatever needs I have.
You want pics??

Just checked FG on a sample of the Mystery ale. 1.008. Wow, that went way down there. That gives 6.4 - 6.5% ABV; about 1% higher than forecast. :confused:

Should have fizzy samples this weekend.

Ordered a 7 gal Fermonster to try for a carboy. It will be the first plastic fermenter I've used since the bucket I started with (and abandoned) years ago.

To get the "free" delivery I also ordered an all-grain Pliny the Elder DIPA clone kit too. :)

Presenting the Mystery Ale...

Not a very good picture, looks a little darker than it actually is but probably due to the light table and background. For 4oz hops it's not very hoppy. Not really an APA nor IPA. More like just a standard ale beer. It's quite drinkable, nice body, just sorta good all-around beer.

20170930_112620.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom