Bring Back The Old Format

Cylontymany

I used to be able to put any subject in the search engine and a ton of great info always came up! Not Anymore! Did you guys delete all that info...

Long as we're on the topic though. One thing that would help is to make the standard search NOT case sensitive.

qrx 9001
No Results Found

Qrx 9001
No Results Found

QRX 9001
No Results Found

QRX-9001
465 Results Found

Aha!

The search engine should also be smart enough to ignore "special characters" like the dash and such.

Not sure if Xenforo allows checkboxes for case and special characters. That in advanced search (checked off by default) would be killer.

Gotta agree with the writer.
New design sucks just like every other blog site. Real crap.

So, like, you're saying ... the old site sucked too? ;-}

Okay, I'll try that next time - thanks. But it was nice when that option was right here at the top of the page.

Going back is not an option -
The old site was badly broken with security issues you could drive a truck through. Really.

Okay, I'll try that next time - thanks. But it was nice when that option was right here at the top of the page.

A change HAD to happen - best make the most of what is here now.
Sam's option is Real good!

How about using Google.com with the following: "site:audiokarma.org" (don't use the quotation marks for the actual search) added to your search string?

It's like saying you liked the radio on your '73 Pontiac. Well, that car's dead and gone, and this is what the new ones look like. Maybe.

One thing about Search though...I wish I didn't have to uncheck "Search Child Forums" every time. I guess I don't HAVE to..but do we HAVE child forums? WTH is that? :p

In any case I would recommend to anyone and everyone to be gentle with your terms when criticizing this wonderful place. AK is as much a family as a business, more so I would say, and I have always felt as though I was a guest in someone else's home. As such I would probably not say "Your home sucks just like all the others in this neighborhood!" :hug:

Long as we're on the topic though. One thing that would help is to make the standard search NOT case sensitive.

qrx 9001
No Results Found

Qrx 9001
No Results Found

QRX 9001
No Results Found

QRX-9001
465 Results Found

Aha!

The search engine should also be smart enough to ignore "special characters" like the dash and such.

Interesting, I don't seem to have that result. Not case sensitive.
upload_2016-8-16_17-31-46.png

think it sort of depends on how it was written originally .. example sx-1250 or sx1250 .. or even sx 1250 .. the results will be very different .. google doesn't seem to mind too much but forums seem to mind about it .
google is just a search engine ...search engines in forums are not the same .
like i was looking for a manual on hfe .. i had to add the - to find it .

Going back is not an option -
The old site was badly broken with security issues you could drive a truck through. Really.
And the new version of the old vB system is widely known as a piece of crap. Can't tell you how many horror stories I've read of admins who have attempted converting to it and had given up, or attempted it and the new version ran so poorly, they switched software anyway. Not to mention the company behind that one is rather skeevy. It's not the same since the big corp bought them out...

Can't tell you how many horror stories I've read of admins who have attempted converting to it and had given up, or attempted it and the new version ran so poorly, they switched software anyway.

Wasn't exactly an easy transition here either. I'm sure them what did the dirty would rather slam their (insert body part here) in a drawer - repeatedly - than go through that again ...

I converted a large-ish forum to this same system a few years ago, and had one aborted attempt before the second one worked. (My fault--a mis-configuration.) It went smoother for us, but mainly because we did not have any large add-ons (like the gallery system). I've done a few smaller forums, and still have to bounce it over to vB before moving it to XenForo since there is no direct converter. It's a little extra work, but it went really well, considering the extra step.

Every conversion is different...

Hiya,

IMHO this forum has outlived its usefulness.

It needs to be locked and maybe start a new forum for forum feedback and don't allow posts wishing to turn back things to a year ago as if that even could happen.

Frannie

PS: Bringing back the old format would upset the majority of happy folks who have learned to adjust to the new forum. Kinda silly if you ask me and selfish/self centered to even suggest it. Like other people who are not complaining and happy with the new system don't matter.

PS: Bringing back the old format would upset the majority of happy folks who have learned to adjust to the new forum. Kinda silly if you ask me and selfish/self centered to even suggest it. Like other people who are not complaining and happy with the new system don't matter.

THIS^^^

And don't let the door hit you in your arss

Back
Top Bottom