Broken amp. Need new one.

m1dnight

Hey guys, first timer here.

I inherited my father's old stereo setup.
Amp: Technics SU-V65A
Speakers: Technics SB-X300A

At the time of writing I have a broken channel on the amplifier and I was looking to perhaps buy a second-hand (vintage) amp to replace the current one. I also have a broken Marantz 1090. That one has the seem issue: one channel is broken, or only works sporadically. I've been scouring the interwebs and I'm completely lost. When I read some threads on this forum I stumbled upon Sansui amplifiers. I think they look great, and people seems to be of the opinion that they don't make bad amps. In my vicinity I have found a Sansui AU-D9 for 270$. Would this be a good buy?

On the other hand, I don't have that much money to spare at the moment so maybe a bit cheaper would be okay. But as I said, im completely lost on what's a decent affordable vintage amp.

What would be the best way to go here?

Extremely vague question.
A couple of thoughts to try and help.
If you were happy with either one before, they could be fixed.
I have no beef with Suis, I've owned several and still have one.
EBay is a crapshoot . Anything 25 years old or more likely needs or soon will need some kind of service or maintenance.
I'd recommend becoming a subscriber here and perusing the Barter Town Forum.
First your dealing with the AK collective not Ebay ( I don't think I'm overstating when I say we are like family (perhaps somewhat dysfunctional (but what family isn t :D)?
Second, stuff is better taken care of (often restored) and it tends to be way cheaper than ebay .
Good luck and welcome to AK

Sansui made wonderful equipment but anything old will need some kind of service. Get the Marantz fixed.

I'm on the other side of the fence. I'd go for the Sansui. Try to get them down a bit and have a listen before you buy and no Sansui didn't make many bad amps. The Sansui has got twice the power (90 vs 45 wpc) of the Marantz and it's worth fixing if it needs a recap. You'll probably spend more than the Marantz is worth fixing it. Plus IMHO the Sansui has got it all over the Marantz on looks. Twice the power, better looking and probably better sounding and worth more. Sounds like a recipe for success.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom