budget power cables - what to look for?

marqueemoon

Gimme indie rock!
I've never messed with upgraded power cables and want to experiment. I have a modest tube integrated and Bifrost Uber.

I've definitely been looking at the Quail Electronics "jellyfish" option, but I'm wondering if there are other options in the $50-$60 range I should be looking at. I'd like to find something that will be appropriate for both pieces. Long term I want to move to monoblocks at which point these would move over to those.

A 1.5 meter length would really be ideal.

DIY sketches me out a little, but if there are affordable connectors that are simple to terminate and reliable I'm open to that option.

I really like the Quails, great value for the buck there.
Just recently got a 10' 14 gauge Quail from MCM and I cannot see spending more for anything else personally speaking.
There are very affordable connectors I've purchase thru Amazon that have been fantastic too. They're shipped from China but my last order arrived in less than 2 weeks.

Awesome. What kind of cable did you use for your DIY and how did it compare to the Quails? Belden 83803 seems to be a popular choice.

Hello there
I've just built a couple of power cables using Aucharm audio power cable that's a mixture of solid core and multi strand with one of these iec connectors. All in they cost me about £30 uk each. I already have power cables that are good quality but these are better and a fraction of the cost. So I would say diy would be the better value for money option.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_aucharm-top-four-square-hifi-fe.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_aucharm-top-four-square-hifi-fe.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 92
  • C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_m_c-079.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_m_c-079.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 2015_08_03_14_57_13_OneShot.jpg
    2015_08_03_14_57_13_OneShot.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 92
So, I ended up ordering 2 Asylum cords from Take Five Audio. With the current state of the Canadian dollar they seemed like a good bet, plus I was able to order the exact length I needed.

Hello there
I've just built a couple of power cables using Aucharm audio power cable that's a mixture of solid core and multi strand with one of these iec connectors. Hope this helps

Interesting.. but the choice of a Chinese cable does give pause.

It's actually quite a nice bit of wire I've got 5 other power cables a QED 2 Russ Andrews yellow power cables a R.A Classic power cable and a solid core cable. The Aucharm has bye far made the biggest improvement. I put one together just out of curiosity and was really quite shocked that it did more than hold it's own so I did another one for my cd player. They turned out really nice.

Cables are here. I'm playing a few albums I know well. So far so good sonically. Vocals on The Stone Roses S/T are a little easier to pick out. Bass seems a little better controlled, which with full ranges is really helpful. Listening to Perlman playing Mozart now. Definitely seems a bit more lively and layered.

On the bad side the IEC end is not a great fit with my Bifrost. It stays in, but sags, so I tucked some Post-It notes under it to keep it fully engaged.

There's also a little bit of grain which I'm hoping will lessen in time.

Update time. I did some recording with my band yesterday and brought the Asylum cords. Used one on my guitar amp and the other for a mic preamp.

It made an immediate and significant difference with the guitar amp. Like really significant. The treble smoothed out considerably, and I was able to use settings that previously would have been too harsh, and parts that were too muddy in the middle pickup setting before were clean and articulate.

Now that I've experienced this I'm probably going to pick up a few of these.

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/catalog/other/powercord/AC-cord-01.htm

Irregardless of make or model to include how much your paying.....

Shielded Oxygen Free Copper ! The ends should be soldered on and not be some alloyed compositite that acts like a resister !!!

Back
Top Bottom