Building 1973 System

Vashnar

Might sound strange, but I'd like to build a system with gear from 1973 specifically (not 'early 70s').

I have a line on a set of AR-7s built in 1973, but am wondering what receiver from 1973 would go well with them.

Any suggestions? Not looking for ultra high end, just good gear from 1973.

Thanks!

Personally, I find the sound of the AR-7 to be a great match with the Pioneer SX-838. However, the period-correct Pioneer series would the the SX-n2n models (626,727,828, etc). But these have the proprietary Pioneer speaker connectors and the integrated power/speaker selectors switches...neither of which is a good thing, in my book.

The n3n series followed the n2n series, and was produced - I think - in 1974/75.

In any case, there are a multitude of options...many of which would probably sound just as good. Assuming a receiver of decent quality, the speakers will play by far the greater role in sound quality.
Other personal favorites from the 1973 timeframe would be the Kenwood KR-6200 or KR-7200...both very well built, and with lots of nice bells and whistles (I've owned both, still have a 7200, and am nearly done with a full restoration of a 6200). Also worth serious consideration would be the Sansui 661/771/881 models...I have owned several of these, but am not sure if they went into production in 1973 (vs 1974).

Keep in mind that just about any receiver you buy from that era will probably need some work to sound its best and operate reliably.

Last edited:
The Pioneer SX-990 would do nicely.

SX990bro.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

The proprietary speaker connectors on the old Pioneers are easy to improvise from off-the-shelf hardware available in Home Depot, etc.
There are a couple of threads on the Pioneer forum that describe the construction of speaker plugs for just a few dollars.
I would not be dissuaded from buying on just for that issue.

Lots of the old Realistic receivers and speakers are terrific, and widely available.
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1973/

Maybe, but still in production in '73.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Interesting. I did not think that was the case. Long production run.

The proprietary speaker connectors on the old Pioneers are easy to improvise from off-the-shelf hardware available in Home Depot, etc.
There are a couple of threads on the Pioneer forum that describe the construction of speaker plugs for just a few dollars.
I would not be dissuaded from buying on just for that issue.

Lots of the old Realistic receivers and speakers are terrific, and widely available.
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1973/

I was not suggesting that the OP be dissuaded by them...just pointing out this somewhat annoying nuance. There are at least three options for constructing alternative connectors that I know of...and probably more.

The combined power/selector is another design "flaw", at least in my book. But like just about everything else, there are solutions if it goes bad.

In any case, it certainly is a beautiful thing. However, I find the SX-6000 and SX-9000 to be the most attractive of the earlier Pioneers...and I am fairly certain that they meet the OP's criteria as regards years of production (1971-1973).

Thanks to everyone for the valuable information!

To give a bit more context, I was born in '73 and have very fond memories of my dad's hifi equipment. I'm almost positive he had a Pioneer receiver, but it may have been a Yamaha. I have a message out to him to see if he remembers (or even better, still has it). I love the silver faces with heavy switches and dials.

I'm not looking for perfection in sound, just a system that will sound good in our living room and - don't hate me - look cool.

Thanks,
Brian

Last year of production was 1973. I have 2. One built in Jul 1970, and one built in Jan of 1972.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I have seen serial numbers indicating 1972 production, but not 1973. The 1972 Pioneer catalog does not show it as an available model. This suggests to me that production ended in 1972. Some years ago I used to visit a website that had a comprehensive history of Pioneer receivers, but it is not longer in service. Too bad, as my curiosity is now seriously piqued!

Thanks to everyone for the valuable information!

To give a bit more context, I was born in '73 and have very fond memories of my dad's hifi equipment. I'm almost positive he had a Pioneer receiver, but it may have been a Yamaha. I have a message out to him to see if he remembers (or even better, still has it). I love the silver faces with heavy switches and dials.

I'm not looking for perfection in sound, just a system that will sound good in our living room and - don't hate me - look cool.

Thanks,
Brian

The HiFiEngine website has Pioneer product catalogs for the years 1972-1982. You have to be a member to dowload them, but membership is free and sign-up is easy.

The late 60s/early 70s receivers were perhaps not quite as good from the standpoint of sound quality - the state of the art made tremendous progress from the early 70s to the early 80s - but for your needs, as you described them, just about anything you choose will be quite serviceable.

I would, however, suggest a receiver rated at 40-45 watts (RMS/continuous) or more. That should be enough to drive those little speakers to a nice volume without distortion...they aren't made to play at extreme levels anyway.

I would also remind you to be aware that unless already restored by a competent tech or hobbyist, it's likely that whatever you buy will need some amount of work.

Last edited:
I have seen serial numbers indicating 1972 production, but not 1973. The 1972 Pioneer catalog does not show it as an available model. This suggests to me that production ended in 1972. Some years ago I used to visit a website that had a comprehensive history of Pioneer receivers, but it is not longer in service. Too bad, as my curiosity is now seriously piqued!
scan_0001.jpg

scan_0002.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Again, interesting. Odd that the the Pioneer catalog from 1972 does not show it.

Regardless, it is certainly a nice unit, and either very close to or within the timeline in which the OP is looking.

I think the Sony STR 6065 from 71/74 would do well with the AR7's. Damping 60, watts 50, rated 4 to 16 ohm speaker load. Generally $175 to the door plug and play.
The AR7 has an effective bottom roll off at 45hz. On the top it's about 12khz. The curve is very flat from 45 to 12. The measured sensitivity is about 86/87, not much better than the 4 ohm AR3a. It uses a lot of power.
The Sony exceeds the capabilities of the AR7.

P2210018.JPG

Sanui 881 would be a great one from that era and will blow most things in its price range away. Look in the sanui threads and read some reviews. 65w plus warm rich sound. I've sold or given away all but my sanui's and never looked back. Lol. (Granted I cannot afford "high end" components but I can surprise most anyone with my 881 through any of my Norman labs.

Just my opinion
Eric

I got the AR7s and love them. A question: the posts are very loose in one of the speakers, can I just loosen the screws holding the woofer in to get inside the cabinet and tighten the posts?

Still on the hunt for a receiver and turntable, I'll keep this thread updated on progress there, and thanks to all for the great input and advice so far!

Have you tried tightening the nut on the post?

If that doesnt work, you will have to remove the woofer so you can hold the post bolt tight while tightening the external nut.

Back
Top Bottom