Building a Custom Record Cabinet - Process Pics!

Teej

It's time for an upgrade, and no one makes what I want, so I'm building one. I have very little woodworking skill apart from that time I cut some molding with a miter box. This should be interesting.

My old cabinet is an early-90's Sony stereo cabinet that is just beautiful, but it just doesn't have the space I need for a burgeoning collection.

As an avid Lego nerd, I've drawn up thorough plans and have a hefty list of everything I need to buy. I believe I can make the whole thing happen with a single sheet of plywood and a few strips of molding (It must have doors - I have an 11 month old boy who would love to get his grubby mitts on my prized copy of Grandaddy's "The Sophtware Slump.").

I'll be including process pics as it comes together. I'm interested in custom jobs you guys have put together if you have any to share. The bulk of this project goes down on Saturday, so show me what you got so I can steal your ideas!

IMG_4316.JPG

Get at least four of these:

a05db7c6-f3ac-4aaf-b183-f19b32936644_1000.jpg

They will help you get the main cabinet square while you glue it up.

Measure twice and cut once! Good luck!

It wouldn't require much to add doors that lock, on this style of cabinet.

View attachment 883192
So I was weighing the pluses and minuses of this strategy, and I decided building would be better for me for the following reasons:

- all hardwood, no MDF/particle board
- my Turntable and preamp sit on top of my stereo cabinet, so it cannot be super tall.
- I'd still have to build the doors anyway
- I can customize my cabinet to the exact specs I want instead of working around what I started with
- While not as easy, it's still far cheaper to build my own
- I want something solid that will last forever that (and I think it's because I'm a new Dad now that I feel this way) I can pass on someday to my son. I can all but guarantee he is going to be a music nerd like his old man.

I shopped for hours to try and find something even close to what I want that I could simply make a few changes to, but nothing was even close. If something was close I might be convinced to settle, but this way is just a lot more fun. Plus still having to build custom doors is a big factor as that is the hardest part of this whole project.

So I was weighing the pluses and minuses of this strategy, and I decided building would be better for me for the following reasons:

- all hardwood, no MDF/particle board
- my Turntable and preamp sit on top of my stereo cabinet, so it cannot be super tall.
- I'd still have to build the doors anyway
- I can customize my cabinet to the exact specs I want instead of working around what I started with
- While not as easy, it's still far cheaper to build my own
- I want something solid that will last forever that (and I think it's because I'm a new Dad now that I feel this way) I can pass on someday to my son. I can all but guarantee he is going to be a music nerd like his old man.

I shopped for hours to try and find something even close to what I want that I could simply make a few changes to, but nothing was even close. If something was close I might be convinced to settle, but this way is just a lot more fun. Plus still having to build custom doors is a big factor as that is the hardest part of this whole project.

That is a custom cabinet I designed, and built. It is solid three-quarter plywood, 5mm backer board plywood for the back, one 2x6 for an elevated base, couple of 1x4 to face edge the plywood ends. It could be modified to incorporate shorter height, wider shelves, doors, or what ever you could design. The cabinet in my avatar is another one I built with 3 rows face view (20" depth) on top, with a single side view storage below that's lighted.

That is a custom cabinet I designed, and built. It is solid three-quarter plywood, 5mm backer board plywood for the back, one 2x6 for an elevated base, couple of 1x4 to face edge the plywood ends. It could be modified to incorporate shorter height, wider shelves, doors, or what ever you could design. The cabinet in my avatar is another one I built with 3 rows face view (20" depth) on top, with a single side view storage below that's lighted.
It is gorgeous.

IMG_4335.JPG Went and picked up all the stuff last night including one gigantic and very heavy sheet of plywood. Measured out all the cut lines which I'll try and get done today. Still a long way off...

Woodworking question: How should I make the edges of the plywood look nice and finished? I'll be priming and painting this thing, but they will probably still be at least a little rough. Will simple sanding do? Like, maybe a lot of sanding? A friend mentioned to me that I would have to attach veneer to the edges to make them appear finished, but I'd rather not have to do that.

I will be making something similar soon, for both records and cds. I plan on building it out of walnut plywood.

I was going to make a fairly large cd case, 5' tall x 4' wide, out of the most beautiful quartersawn oak I have ever seen. The wood would have been >$1,500, though. So, walnut plywood it is.

Your friend is correct. There's edge banding veneer in most species of wood. The easiest is the iron on type. They are a little bit over sized, so a veneer edge trimmer is a tool to use.
Here's an example of one.
https://www.toolstoday.com/p-5661-d...B59AD3A3C802&gclid=CKXq9KfdydICFYm6wAod0MQG3w

One can very carefully use a single edged razor blade to do the same thing. Trim just proud, then final trim with fine sandpaper on a block. Or just use a block plane if one is laying about.

I will be making something similar soon, for both records and cds. I plan on building it out of walnut plywood.

I was going to make a fairly large cd case, 5' tall x 4' wide, out of the most beautiful quartersawn oak I have ever seen. The wood would have been >$1,500, though. So, walnut plywood it is.

Good walnut ply isn't cheap either. And if you still wish to have 1/4 sawn oak, there is always the option of veneer sheets.

Good walnut ply isn't cheap either. And if you still wish to have 1/4 sawn oak, there is always the option of veneer sheets.

Yep. I expect to pay between ~$130-140 per 4x8 sheet. I haven't finished the design yet, but I expect I will need 3 sheets. The rest is my time.

These are going to be furniture quality pieces. My wife is not real happy with the wooden crates the records are in. Even though they are "vintage"!

Yeah, mine is maple. Fifty bucks.

I'd love to see a finished piece that requires three whole sheets. I was able to engineer mine to use only one with wood to spare.

One can very carefully use a single edged razor blade to do the same thing. Trim just proud, then final trim with fine sandpaper on a block. Or just use a block plane if one is laying about.
That one way to trim. The double sided edge trimmer makes simple, quick work. Edge banded lots of cabinets many years ago. One is going to need to sand anyway.

That one way to trim. The double sided edge trimmer makes simple, quick work. Edge banded lots of cabinets many years ago. One is going to need to sand anyway.

I bring it up because most people will only do this a couple times. And a GOOD edge trimmer...one that actually works well... is not inexpensive. I've used several that aren't worth the paper to print an advertisement for the thing upon. Myself, I use a block plane since there is always one within reach.

Back
Top Bottom