Building a Custom Record Cabinet - Process Pics!

Interesting... this bar table and what appears to be a toilet in the living room? Quite the decor you have going on... :)
All the amenities!

It's our old, broken toilet from the guest bathroom that we've since replaced. We were having a party and didn't want an old toilet hanging out on in front the house waiting for the garbage men to pick it up, so I cleaned it up and stuck it in the man cave as a goof. It's a lot more appropriate in there as the garage is already a den of irreverence. It was supposed to be temporary, but we've just been using it as a chair ever since. I'll probably throw it out someday when I need the space. Until then it's quite the conversation piece.

The irony is that there's a giant, beautiful $3500 Brunswick pool table in the center of that room; yet everybody wants to talk about the worthless, broken toilet.

The irony is that there's a giant, beautiful $3500 Brunswick pool table in the center of that room; yet everybody wants to talk about the worthless, broken toilet.

It must be everyone's crappy attitude... :D

Cool cabinet!
FWIW, back in the ?80s, when I was enthralled by Burt Rutan's plastic airplanes, I made a record cabinet similar to yours (but horizontal, 48" wide) out of Blue Foam, thin acrylic and latex contact cement, sandwiched together (no doors).
I just butt jointed the corners and overlapped the acrylic over them.
Was darned cheap to make (the point of it) - I think, one 4x8 sheet of 1" blue foam, two 4x8 sheets of acrylic, quart of contact cement.
Looked exactly like clear plastic laminated blue foam...ugly as sin.
I intended it to be just an experiment, and never bothered with edge trim(!) or paint, but the silly thing was strong as all get out (the shelves bent a tad under full load, like Burts composite wings), and weighed all of about 5-10lbs empty!
I think the LP count in it fully loaded was 800-1000?

It was so durable I dragged that silly thing around with me for nearly 20 years before finally dumping it on the curb during the last house move, along with a bunch of other junk.
Interestingly, it was the first (and only) thing snatched up by 'pickers'.
(Don't think I have any pics, unfortunately.)
Composite structures still fascinate me to this day.....

I later made a replacement 'cabinet' composed simply of two 2x4 "H" shaped frames that the records rested on, front and back.
The weight of the records provided most of the 'strength', and since the 2x4 frames were recessed from the front edges of the records, they appeared to be just 'floating' in air.
Even cheaper and simpler than composite foam!

PS. Nice 'throne'!

Staining tabletop and visible wood pieces tonight, assembling table on Thursday. Actual assembly should only take a few minutes. Very excited about the finished product.

I've already started planning my next project which will be a combination bar/media center/cabinet/record bin. It's kind of pie-in-the-sky for me in that there are a lot of pieces that will require a lot of precise cuts, but the concept is solid.

The whole thing will be 48"W x 44"H x 30"D. On the left will be a single-door, 25x40" cabinet with three shelves, two of which will be tall enough to accommodate records but which will probably hold video game peripherals. On the right will be a built-in 30"-deep record bin. The top above the record bin will be fitted with a piano hinge so you'll be able to lift it and peruse the records in the bin. The top will also feature decorative railing along the sides and across the back. The whole cabinet will sit on eight 2" casters so it will be moveable. My favorite part is that it will also have two secret compartments built-in for fancy scotches and, um, "music enhancers."

I've got a new Dewalt 20V drill plus new titanium screwdriver and drill bits and a new random orbital sander en route now to help.

Confidence is high! Maybe a little too much so...

Back
Top Bottom