We be awful slow. Tonight I have the antenna hooked up to the Sony XDR-F1HD tuner on the main rig. Wow. I was getting only three adequately quiet stations - and even they had noise - but now I'm hearing lots of clean locals. Not sure how many yet, but will have to add to presets, most likely. Right now, in deference to my hard-working wife, we're listening to country - which I also enjoy - which is her favorite. The hits from the 70s and 80s, her era.

Twenty-five feet of 3/8" soft copper tubing is cheap - ten bucks to the door. I've used five feet. I need another for the bedroom. Have enough tubing for three more beyond that. Sure is nice to spend so little for such an improvement. The vertical alignment works well in my situation.

28.7" Long, 3/8" copper tubing x 2 pieces
12" dowel to fit inside
RG59 or RG6 cable, length as needed (20' in my case)
soldering tools and supplies - or, if that is a no - small screw-type hose clamps
tube-cutter and other common tools, knives, strippers, etc.

Cut the tubing to 28 & 3/4" 'cause that's close enough for a mid-dial tuning. Shortening the element by an inch would change it from 98 Mhz to about 101 Mhz. Lengthen by an inch tunes it from the 98 center to about 94 Mhz. Longer then, changes to lower on the dial. Shorter goes higher up the dial. (Most of you guys are laughing at that, but not all of us have that firmly implanted in our minds.)

Slide one element over one end of the dowel, the other element onto the other end, leaving about a 2.5" gap between the elements. Use whatever method is handiest to fit them snugly, whether glue, or tape, or clamps, or finding perfect dowels (ha!). The two ends close together on the dowel is where you attach your cable.

Do yourself a favor and order some good quad-shield 75-ohm coax cable. The cheapest cable can sometimes offer little more than the film foil with maybe a few strands of aluminum. Quad-shield cable has some thick stranded ground wire aluminum braid that is much easier to work with than the cheap stuff for attaching to feedpoints

No balun required. Order a few snap-on ferrite chokes when you order the tubing and cable - they are inexpensive and useful.

This is for inside use, but will work even better outside, though you'd need to beef up the dowel, and attach the feeder points with weather in mind.

Works well. Read all I Like Sound's posts in this thread for more detail, and several other contributors, too. It's an easy, quick (well, not so much for me) and satisfying little project.

Thanks to all who made this a better thread.

Last edited:
How about a pic :)
I have a roll of copper that I would like to use for a FM antenna, probably make a yagi for my fav FM station at 92.3MHz

Do yourself a favor and order some good quad-shield 75-ohm coax cable. The cheapest cable can sometimes offer little more than the film foil with maybe a few strands of aluminum. Quad-shield cable has some thick stranded ground wire aluminum that is much easier to work with than the cheap stuff.

Agree. I used some good quality but standard shield cable while I was trying to best locate an external omni antenna. Once I found the best location (23' from the house on top of a 23' mast), I replaced the cable with some quad shield and the signal strength and stability improved even further.

Agree. I used some good quality but standard shield cable while I was trying to best locate an external omni antenna. Once I found the best location (23' from the house on top of a 23' mast), I replaced the cable with some quad shield and the signal strength and stability improved even further.

What style Omni? A vertical?

How about a pic :)
I have a roll of copper that I would like to use for a FM antenna, probably make a yagi for my fav FM station at 92.3MHz

A pic of my simple dipole would be of no help for a Yagi. A dipole with the two elements each 30 7/16" long would have a center tuning of 92.3Mhz.

Last edited:
For me it is more personal, and introspective. And it's true; it is getting harder and harder to just like something (without any thumbs up), without being forced to seek some sort of validation from other individuals or groups. Does anyone really believe that I have a reel to reel deck because I think it is the absolute best way to make a recording today? I know a lot of outsiders look at the interest in old audio as nostalgia, but I believe there is more intimate and even emotional element to the hobby.

What style Omni? A vertical?

Yes, a vertical magnum dynalab

Update:

After experiencing such improvement with the Sony tuner on the main rig, I assembled another antenna for the Pro-Ject tuner in the bedroom. Again using the copper tubing and mounting the antenna vertically behind a tall cabinet. This one is only about 6" from it's upper end to the ceiling. So not much height, but it certainly improved signal strength, as that is the worst location in my home for reception, I've found, by trying several different tuners there. The modest Pro-Ject S Box tuner does the best job there (though I did not try the Sony there, as it stays with the big rig).

Last night I ordered a Yamaha T-S500 tuner, as I posted elsewhere, just so I can use the Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp's remote control, thus consolidating that function to fewer remotes in bed. I feel confident that the antenna will suffice for it, too. Thanks again to I LIKE MUSIC and others who participated in schooling me for this easy project. Tubing, ten dollars. Cable, fifteen bucks. AK, priceless.

Last edited:
Antenna building is a rabbit hole, and simple dipoles are the gateway drug to get you in. ;)

For me it all started with a simple folded dipole with a reflector, nobody even noticed.

Now, i'm pouring a concrete base to erect 40 feet of Rohn 25G tower with 10 feet of mast on top of that.

I LIKE MUSIC :)

From one end to the other for sure. Now you have to decide what you are putting on top of that mast. Start your own thread so we can follow along with your progress and decisions.
Still in the planning stages, but when things start rolling i will very likely start a dedicated thread. This is an off grid installation at our cabin in the hills. So, it's likely that the erection(all pun intended) won't happen until spring. The goal is to source everything needed to complete the installation over the winter such that when the project leaves the gate it can finish the race with no hiccups.

I'm modifying the base to "tilt up" as the tower will support 100 watts of PV collection, DTV antenna, probably 1 or 2 communications antennas, and at the top, a small DIY FM antenna and 12 VDC powered rotor for hot summer night FM DXing.

I'm currently in the process of repairing and painting the tower. With due diligence and patience i was able to buy 2 towers complete with bases and top sections for a very low entry fee, but a 12 hour round trip to get them home. The reward was 40 feet of Rohn 25G, and 30 feet of American Tower from the series they also call "25". Both towers had been stored outdoors, disassembled allowing water to get into the curved part of one tube on each top section such that it froze and formed about a 1-1/2 inch split, some JBWeld and hammer tone Rustoleum should make it good for another 20 years.

I'm gifting the American Tower to a good friend who is a HAM, retired construction worker, and loves to get his hands on any kind of radio/antenna project. His help will be priceless, and certainly worth more than the 75 bux plus gas that i paid for both towers.

I LIKE MUSIC :)

From one end to the other for sure. Now you have to decide what you are putting on top of that mast. Start your own thread so we can follow along with your progress and decisions.

Thanks, rcs16. Fixed it. Sorry, I LIKE MUSIC.

Here we are only about eight months after this antenna build that I got my buddy, Kyle, to mount it in the closet with one-half the dipole inserted into the attic through a hole in the ceiling (vertical dipole made of 3/8" copper tubing you may recall). Until he did this, it was simply propped upright in a corner, and made a big difference. However, the added height once mounted has allowed clean reception of even more stations.

It's nice to have the project culminate in improvement of my listening pleasure for so little outlay. We installed it with the feeder at ninety degrees to the antenna, with ferrite chokes and a coiled section of feeder. The cable and antenna are all out of sight now, but all in sonic improvement.

Few things satisfy like a successful antenna project. Noisy to full quieting. S5 to peg the meter. Nothing like it.

Back
Top Bottom