Building A Tuba 18 Subwoofer

Still Working On This!

Still assembling but here are some pics!

JB Wood Weld, 1 Kit to fill these holes, too much money
attachment.php

Installed the driver now and sealed as I did not want to fight trying to line up once cabinet is done. I made a gasket out of cork and sealed ito place. Now, it is wrapped in plastic to protect from sanding dust.
attachment.php

A little trim with knife and sanding after adhesive dries is needed.
attachment.php

Epoxied in the T-Nuts. Not the best circle cut as my router circle guide does not go that small. Tried using construction adhesive to fill the pocket screw holes, did not work to well, sanding wise!
attachment.php

Had some dowel sticks laying around, split them and glued into place, tomorrow will cut, sand and see how they come out.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 159
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 152
  • Build 4.jpg
    Build 4.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
That is the driver out of my KLH Subwoofer cabinet. It's a 10". Not very impressive is it? I was going to use lightweight bondo but thought the JB Wood Weld would go further. I have quite a few dowels sticks on hand and if they don't hold well, I'll get bondo. Thank you for the advise.

I guess it doesn't matter what the driver looks like, as long as it sounds good! I just knew I didn't recognize it.

I might be missing something, but wouldn't it be easier to screw coming from the other direction? At least on the inner tuba joints? I can see how you wouldn't want screws showing from the outside, since you're going for a natural wood finish.

Bondo is the biznass for filling holes in wood. I built my kitchen island and used body filler. Stuff is very easy to work with and sands like a dream! I am watching this project! Good luck, you're looking good so far.

I guess it doesn't matter what the driver looks like, as long as it sounds good! I just knew I didn't recognize it.

I might be missing something, but wouldn't it be easier to screw coming from the other direction? At least on the inner tuba joints? I can see how you wouldn't want screws showing from the outside, since you're going for a natural wood finish.

Well, I could have but the pocket screw tool is pretty new and I had to play a bit. Also, my luck, I would have had a lot of spilt wood, even with a pilot hole. I could have just used my pin nailer or brad nailer, but like I said, new toy.

Thanks 240. I've used bondo when I was in the painting trade and I agree, great stuff. The dowels are working great though.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Almost Done!

I cut a piece of plexiglass for a access panel template and tucked inside for the night. I will be making that in the morning and giving a test run on it. Any particular tones I should run? A sweep?

After the test run, I will finish sanding and set it in place to use for the time being. Tomorrow is the last day that I have to work on this for a while so no veneer at this time.

This thing is solid.

attachment.php

I will post how I feel it sounds tomorrow. Then when I am able to veneer it, new pictures will arise.

Thanks everyone!

David

Attachments

• Tuba Build 001.jpg
    Tuba Build 001.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 106
Initial Thoughts! Please Forgive My Non-Tech Slang!

WOW! What a difference a cabinet makes. Let me see if I can discribe this properly. Before, the KLH left more to be desired. It seemed like just boomy bass that did not seem to have any depth, life, it was just there, if that makes sense. Now, using the same driver and plate amp, the cabinet seemed to have added life to the old thing. You can feel the bass in your chest but it's not boomy. Don't get me wrong, it does go deep just no rattling or bottoming out. Just nice, tight deep bass with more depth. I don't know if depth is the proper word I am looking for so I will put it a different way. Before, you could tell exactly where the bass was coming from, now, you can't. I am very happy with this so far.

I still have to do the veneer and finish on it so no pics for a while. I am heading into surgery in the morning so I will be out for a bit.

take care and thank you all for watching this thread.

David:thmbsp:

I am still curious how this came out. I am about to purchase a used tuba sub and would love to see how it ended up.

Sorry, I thought I finished posting about this, wow, 5 years ago....man time flies.
Anyways, I took an ordinary subwoofer KLH, I believe it was, and turned it into a lot better sounding and louder, tighter hitting subwoofer. I would take pictures but I actually have this tucked into my fire place with a ported baffle in front. I don't have the specs on it but it was a definite improvement.

Back
Top Bottom