building an old pickup

countryAF

hello,

I have a single cab chevy that I'm trying to put together an affordable system for. I'll be building from scratch, nothing in the truck now. I don't need it LOUD. I prioritize sound quality and full range over volume. I don't know crap about this stuff, other than knowing when stuff sounds bad. when searching on google, most of the "review" websites seem more like an advertisement, so I figure I'd turn to this community for help.

since I'm already elbow deep cash-wise in this restoration, I didn't want to spend more than $350. I'm thinking I'd want a head unit, two tweets and two mids for this price. I'll want to add a self contained, small woofer behind the seat at some point, so I'd like the head unit to have that capability. I may be way off base in this thinking though...maybe full range would be the way to go these days, I'm not sure. I remember people used to put 6x9s in back in the day for cheap with the understanding that your sacrificing sound quality for an all-in-one type speaker. I'd rather buy something that has good sq and build upon it, if that's what the budget allows. i.e. getting just a head unit and two of the five speakers I'm looking to get. in other words, I'd rather buy a couple quality pieces and expand later rather than fill the truck up with crap. I can fabricate well, so no need to worry about existing speaker openings.

If it matters, I listen to many genres of music, but as stated earlier, at a normal volume level.

thanks for your time,
Jeremy

edit: sorry I just saw a sticky that says not to ask questions here, but I didn't see an applicable category before I posted this. my apologies.

Welcome.
Not that there aren't folks here that know car audio, but you do realize that this forum is dedicated to HOME audio, right?

Welcome here! :)
thanks! although I guess this isn't for car audio so much, lol. I am also in the market for a turntable console (preferably with reel to reel as well). I've yet to truly dive into the tube vs solid state arguments though. that will come after the truck is squared away..

As somebody already mentioned - we also got a car stereo forum. However - enjoy your stay in our forum! :)

Hi Jeremy and welcome to AK! Best of luck with your truck, I feel you have the right idea with the system you want. Enjoy your audio journey!

Back
Top Bottom