Bullet Proof JVC CD Players circa 1989/90

Picked up one of their late 80's 1-bit 5 disc players on the cheap, everything "operates" however when I insert a disk (I've tried many) it cycles thru the trays and gives me the message "Disk Not Read" :( Any ideas on that one?

Interesting you get an error message. Most CD players don't give messages when something is wrong. In any case, it's more than likely the spindle motor (unless you hear the disc spinning) or the motor moving the laser. I doubt it's the actual laser. You might also check if there is more than one fuse in the player.

Last edited:
Interesting you get an error message. Most CD players don't give messages when something is wrong. In any case, it's more than likely the spindle motor (unless you hear the disc spinning) or the motor moving the laser. I doubt it's the actual laser. You might also check if there is more than one fuse in the player.

Thank you for the post! I will open her up this weekend and have a look :)

Picked up one of their late 80's 1-bit 5 disc players on the cheap, everything "operates" however when I insert a disk (I've tried many) it cycles thru the trays and gives me the message "Disk Not Read" :( Any ideas on that one?

I have a really sturdy Philips changer that I bought awhile back. Trying it in the thrift, it gave me either Error or 'No Disc' messages, but I bought it anyway.

Took it home, took it apart and burrowed down to the laser, and saw a bit of pet fur had accumulated around the pickup. Got rid of that and everything works great.

I can slap the front of this one while it's playing, no skips.

Yes, I should have mentioned try cleaning the laser. When I said I doubt it's the laser, I meant the life of it. I use a cotton swab and a little 70% rubbing alcohol. Then I use a compressed air can.

I've never seen a reason why one would need a remote with a CD player, especially a single disc player.

Easier to skip over a few songs you don't like with a remote at your seat than having to program in every track you want to hear.

Jvc xl-v2

Found an JVC XL-V2 at the SA for $7.77.....made in 1984 and it weighs about 20lbs.....I cannot find much about it on the net but it does sound really nice....
here are a few pictures. I figure the is one of the earliest JVCs in the Xl line...maybe there is a XL-V1. It plays CD-Rs too. Sorry about the blurry pic of the inside

Attachments

• DSCF0655.jpg
    DSCF0655.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCF0656.jpg
    DSCF0656.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF0657.jpg
    DSCF0657.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF0659.jpg
    DSCF0659.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 141
Wow, I didn't know people liked these JVC players this much, I'm using an XL-M401 as my player. Got it for $5 in great condition, no dust or scratches or anything. Love it for it's the best sounding player I've ever heard.

The JVC XL-Z555 is an awesome old school CD player, and I do own one, along with an XL-Z444. I included a couple of pics of the 555.. they are not too great since its so dark its hard to get a good pic.. but here it is playing. Sounds great , I listen to it all the time. It has wood side pannels which are not on it currently as it wont fit in the cabinet with them installed.The old JVC amps are good too.. and thats what this unit is connected to. :thmbsp:

Attachments

• xlz5551.jpg
    xlz5551.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 131
  • xlz5552.jpg
    xlz5552.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 150
  • xlz5553.jpg
    xlz5553.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 124
Thought I would revive this thread. I just picked up an XL-Z555 at Salvation Army in very nice condition with the remote, for $13 . It loads any CD i put in it super fast and sounds INCREDIBLE for the price. I love this thing! Tray opens fast and has a nice deep well. It has an toslink and a coax digital out as well. The thing really is built like a tank. I highly recommend if anyone finds one at a reasonable price BUY IT!

Thread revival. I have a JVC XL-V151 that I got off of the Bay for about $20 shipped. As everyone else says, these things are bulletproof. Plays everything you throw at it and sounds very good. Never misses a beat.

heard the same about jvc vhs players. I had forgotten about the greatness of a jog dial. If your cd players continue to perform flawlessly and even end up outlasting you, they would then go beyond bulletproof to the invisable status.

XL-V211 case study (easy repair):

I've got an XL-F108 and XL-V211. Both came from the same friends who were moving and had a stack of crap in their basement that they offered to me, for free if I took "all of it" (my pleasure!)

Anyway, I first started using the F108 (5-disc) and it was fine. Sounded good. Finally today I decided to plug in the V211 for the first time. I was a little worried about all of these as they were dusty (understatement) and sat in an unfinished section of a basement for who-knows-how-long. Wiped the V211 down plugged it in, it powered up fine, started playing a disc without any trouble at all... except I had no output! Totally silent. Checked all my cables, put them back on the F108 and it was still fine... fiddled with everything.. Nothin' coming out of that V211!
So I cracked it open, and as you might expect the insides were cleaner than a hospital operating room. Couldn't see anything out of place or blown... Crap. That means it is going to be impossible for me to fix?

NOPE! I re-seated all the cables running to the pickup/mech, especially the logic cable (10-pin) (wasn't concerned with the rest, since the mech and everything else operated perfect).
Whaddya know? Now it works. And it sounds fantastic! I absolutely love it. I poked that cable in question (pictured) and the pickup freaked out a little, and cut the sound (if I held that pressure)... so I freshened up the solder under the board and used a bit of contact cleaner and now it is rock solid. Abbey Road sounds even better than usual!
Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20140804_144829.jpg
    IMG_20140804_144829.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 100
My first new system was all Sony gear ($300 receiver, $250 5-disc changer) and Yamaha speakers. A couple years later, I sold that to a college buddy and we bought a JVC receiver and single disc player. I forget the model number, but it might have been a 441 or 411 or something like that. It was the titanium/copper look. I specifically bought it as the owner of one of the high end shops in town said that in his opinion, the JVC digital stuff was decidedly better than the Sony gear. They didn't carry either brand so I took it for what it was worth.

The receiver was lowered powered than the Sony, but in the same ballpark. The Sony was Dolby Pro Logic whereas the JVC was stereo. The same series, just before they started including their built in digital 7-band EQs. We had just bought a pair of Apogee Centaur Majors and the Sony would go into Protection mode after about 10 minutes of play time or even more quickly at a certain volume level. The JVC stuff worked perfectly well though obviously was still far from ideal.

I bought a JVC receiver and CD player locally on eBay a few years ago for $9.99 total for both pieces. Guy even met me close to my place. They were similar to what I used to have but the receiver is a step or two down from my old one. Both pieces still work great and are currently powering a pair of Paradigms in the garage.

I'm a fan.

Sometime ago I bought this little JVC player. Made copies of my favorite albums, put them in without bothering to note the numbers, and I've been using it as my random music source ever since. Whenever I don't know what to listen to, I turn it on, play a random disc.
And it doesn't sound half bad :)

12439454.jpg

Jvc xl-z431

$4.99 find at GW last year with the remote (along with a Teac RW-CD22 dual CD-R deck for $9.99). Any idea where it lies in the line-up for its model year?

front_1_50.jpg

back_1_50.jpg

Last edited:
Great find! Great price!
I'd really like to "stumble" upon a couple at that price....
I've become very familiar with the series, having "refurbished" 3 in the last couple of months.
They sound pretty nice to start, but a few hours and $20 or so in parts will be very rewarding....

JVC XL-V1100 Anyone?

WOW.

I just acquired a JVC XL-V1100 single disc cd player that weighs a TON.

It is black in color except for the last 20% or so of the back of the unit that is a polished aluminum finish that almost looks as if it serves as some type of heat sink.
All the rear connections are gold plated.

The sticker on the back is dated 1986.

I'll clean it up and post some pics soon.

Anyone know anything good (or bad) about this unit?

Back
Top Bottom