Bullet Proof JVC CD Players circa 1989/90

I don't know about the OP's CD player. I worked at a JVC warranty station until about '85 and we say tons of the XL-V400 Royal POS. We drew a big dog turd picture on the manual, complete with flies.
Based on your experience, which JVC CD unit is the one to have? Both reliable and with excellent sonics.
Glenn

image.jpeg My JVC CD player read on the back December 1989. It's a XL-Z1010 which was a higher end model. The sonics on it is pretty good but the receiver has a built in equalizer which helps the sound a lot. Bought of the bay for a good price couldn't pass it up. I've had it a about a year and a half. Still running great.

I am the original owner of a JVC XL-V112 single CD player. I bought it for my son and he has subjected this thing to enormous abuse.

It's like a Timex... takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

It's hard to believe anything mechanical that old and that abused would still work, but ... it does!

Regards,
Jerry

I just bought an older JVC model at a peddlers mall for $10 and it has brought me here.

I spent most of last night scouring the internet for info or reviews on my model but came up empty; finding only a pdf of the owner's manual. So I turn to you guys.

The model in question is a XL-V282. I was hoping to find a little info on how it performs and where it rates as far as quality amongst other XL models.

Last edited:
Picked up an XL-Z555 a couple months ago. I couldn't pass up a wood paneled CDP with the original remote for 5 bucks. Today I decided to try it out to see if the belts were worth replacing. It sounds amazing! My main units are a Technics SL-P770 and a Sony 508ESD and in my opinion it sounds a little bit better. It may be down to the yamaha oversampling chip compared to the technics and personal taste. Whatever it is, this is going in my main stack and replacing the Technics.

Picked up an XL-Z555 a couple months ago. I couldn't pass up a wood paneled CDP with the original remote for 5 bucks. Today I decided to try it out to see if the belts were worth replacing. It sounds amazing! My main units are a Technics SL-P770 and a Sony 508ESD and in my opinion it sounds a little bit better. It may be down to the yamaha oversampling chip compared to the technics and personal taste. Whatever it is, this is going in my main stack and replacing the Technics.
That is one beautiful player. Reminds me of the luxman d 109 with the square block buttons

That is one beautiful player. Reminds me of the luxman d 109 with the square block buttons
Definitely! It was the aesthetics that drew me to it in the first place. Now the more research I do shows a lot of yamaha influence in the design of it electronically. I haven't even put new belts in and i'm thinking about getting another. I have an addiction to 80s CD players. Probably won't stop until I own one from every brand.

Definitely! It was the aesthetics that drew me to it in the first place. Now the more research I do shows a lot of yamaha influence in the design of it electronically. I haven't even put new belts in and i'm thinking about getting another. I have an addiction to 80s CD players. Probably won't stop until I own one from every brand.
We share the same interest of 80's cd players. Love them untill they break down.

I also got a used XL-V311, all black, left tray.Compared to my other JVC XL-V251TN, grey, center tray. The V311 in terms of sound quality is superior because the overall detail, clarity, and soundstage are better. Background or multiple layered music tones are noticed/heard with the V311 and barely noticeable on the V251.

I have gathered the matching components all from various second hand shops with a total cost of less than $150. System includes a TD-J66J & TD-W660 cassette decks, XL-V311 CD player, and RX-903V receiver or RX-803V receiver (both digital receivers with dynamic Super-A). To my surprise, this whole system sounds super good with any speaker combination. To me, its sound is cleaner than past systems of Yamaha and Sony, although the Sony's spontaneous twin drive sound nice too. But the JVC sounds more balanced and just better.

As far as "bullet proof" CD players of that time, Yes I agree. I'll up that and say of most used audio equipment I've seen at thrift stores, purchased untested or tested, and used at home, the JVC stuff has lasted the longest and without a loss of sound quality. Strange how JVC has a reputation seen as junk. If that's the case, they made some good junk during that time. I have nothing 'bad' to say about the XL-311 CD player or the rest.

I picked up a JVC XL-V311 at Goodwill today for $3.99. Bought it to flip, but may have to keep it. Works perfectly and sounds great. Not a scratch on her.

That was my plan too at some point. That plan got thwarted after hearing the v311 and receiver. I kept them.

I probably paid too much for it on Cr*pBay but here in OZ, a JVC XL-V221 for $150 including 6 month's warranty and delivery sounded better than hundreds more for other alternatives. It should go nicely with the Sansui AU217 II and a lovely old pair of Micro Acoustic speakers, plus a Dual 505 disk unit. Here's hoping!

Original owner of the JVC XL-M301 6 disc changer. Must have been 1989. Felt like I was a millionaire with a top of the line audio system at the time. Never ever has failed to perform and just moved again for the 9th time since then. Unpacking today and I never knew some CD players sounded different than others? This one always seems to play a well-recorded CD with clarity and can absolutely sound amazing. Have two different Mozart CDs and the "Mozart in the Morning" sounds fantastic, the other sounds like I'm using the AM radio in a 1967 Chrysler convertible. No, I have to give the 67 Chrysler the edge on that vs the poorly made CD. I always attribute that to the way the CD was recorded and not so much the player itself? Am I wrong on this point?

Besides that, the JVC M301 is a workhorse. Don't know what all the 18 bit and dual DAC converter means. I really can't seem to tell if it's better than another CD player. A well made CD seems to sound great and a poor one sounds terrible. Never had one problem with it. Still going to use it for the living room as my random music player when I need a few hours of random music and don't want to fool with vinyl changes. Example is when I'm painting the whole house, installing flooring or cabinets, or as I build a block wall for the backyard.

I have to agree with this old thread that the JVC XL- series from late 89 is a total workhorse. Going on 30 years here without a hitch.

Agree completely about the reliability of the early 90/ JVC CD players. I had two el cheapo players go to the big audio lab in the sky - replaced one with a lovely ONKYO and the other with a JVC XL-V221. I must say though that the ONKYO is more forgiving with dodgy disks.

Regarding sound quality, there are of course so many factors involved, like the room itself, as well as the amp and speakers so without some serious comparison tests, it is hard to decide which is the better unit. However, I'm perfectly content with both. I'm currently playing a Mahler 7th on the JVC - via a Sansui AU217-ll and my treasured MIcro Acoustic speakers - wouldn't change it regardless of price

I got an xl 200 that reacted great to my snipping the output caps. It has a leaking power supply cap though, seems to not affect it just yet. Maybe it would get worse.
I love the old silver face big JVC cassette decks. Have 2 and easily my favorites. Especially the KD85. Massive deck with electronic touch buttons, gorgeous.
Cool.
Srinath.
I picked up that deck the kd-85.Tired it is.Worse part is the original owners SSN carved on the face.

I know some here scoff at the idea of an older cd player, although depending of the brand, I will often pick up a used one if the price is right. I have noticed out of all of the cd players I have found used, the JVC units around 1988-91 have always worked perfectly and continue to do so, not to mention that they are always dirt cheap. I have a XL-V 231, XL-V311 as well as a XL-Z 331, all of which work great and pretty much look alike to the untrained eye (although really from the front the only real aesthetic difference is the XL-V311 being from 1989 is black on black while the others from 1990 use the exact layout, but it is gray on black).

I have had old Technics, Pioneer and Sony machines and they have all been quite trouble prone when they get up there in age. I would say that the only other units I have used that have equaled the JVC's reliability is my ancient Luxman D-404 and my three Belgian made Magnavox (Philips) units (this is not including my Belgian made Philips CD recorder which is at times temperamental).

Anybody else have JVC units from the same era and noticed that not only will they not die, they will never get sick. This is certainly something they did not stick with on their later generations (starting with the all gray, tray in the center units which were junky in comparison).

yes, will always get one when I run across it

Back
Top Bottom