Butcher Block Flexy Rack Build - Finished

It's scientifically proven that hockey pucks increase fidelity. In fact, the more the stronger the effect.
I place them under the speaker outriggers or speaker stands, under amps. Sometimes also just near the speakers on the hardwood floor, seems to tighten up the bass and improve imaging.
Your kilometers may vary.
Scientifically proven huh? What is the natural resonance frequency of the hockey puck? Please PM me the white papers I would love to read them.

If you want to save a few bucks on parts, try using some of this:

truck floor.jpg

This is piece of truck van flooring. It's 1 1/4" thick, and comes in various widths. If you have a truck repair supplier nearby, they may have scraps that you can buy cheaper than butcher block. This a scrap piece that I lightly sanded, then hit with Liquid Gold.

If you 't want to save a few bucks on parts, try using some of this:

View attachment 1199563

This is piece of truck van flooring. It's 1 1/4" thick, and comes in various widths. If you have a truck repair supplier nearby, they may have scraps that you can buy cheaper than butcher block. This a scrap piece that I lightly sanded, then hit with Liquid Gold.

Maybe red oak? That's a nice option. Could save some money with it.
Thanks for contributing a good idea to this thread.
In my case, I don't have a good table saw to do any resizing. The butcher blocks were as is useable.

Maybe red oak? That's a nice option. Could save some money with it.
Thanks for contributing a good idea to this thread.
In my case, I don't have a good table saw to do any resizing. The butcher blocks were as is useable.
There's a truck repair shop next to mine, and they used to do spot repairs of van trailers. I picked up their leftovers, and have used them for a few projects. Here's a shot of a small lamp I made from some surplus parts and a chunk of that flooring:

lamp1a.jpg

The Butcher Blocks are again on sale at Menards. Same price $49 after $10 rebate, through June 10th.
Not Affiliated.

There's a truck repair shop next to mine, and they used to do spot repairs of van trailers. I picked up their leftovers, and have used them for a few projects. Here's a shot of a small lamp I made from some surplus parts and a chunk of that flooring:

View attachment 1199905

What is that thing? A filter canister of some sort? It is very cool looking.

What is that thing? A filter canister of some sort? It is very cool looking.

It's a sight gauge/flow gauge. It goes in a pipeline so you can visually see if material is flowing through it. Used alot in hydraulics and brewing. Most are stainless. These (government surplus) are brass. They polish up nicely.

View attachment 1239269 Thanks.
This is a Climax brand machine from garage sale.
Ah, the good old treadle sewing machines - great for TV stands, etc. We have one in the bedroom for a nightstand.

Here's another neat stand if you can find one. I have one out in the warehouse that I got in the 70s, but it's buried now, so here's a photo off the internet. It's a KARLO typewriter stand, circa 1930s, made in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

karlo-vintage-typewriter-side-end-table-main.jpg

FWIW, the half inch threaded rod, and half inch plywood held a Sony STR-V7 AND a half dozen other pieces of equipment, on 16" x 25" shelves for several years.

It's a shame miles prevent you from dropping by my shop. Otherwise I'd be happy to help with the woodworking projects.

Post some pics when you're finished.
Do you think 3/4" x 16" x 36" plywood would work with a total of four 1/2" threaded rods? Really would like to get away with that, if I could haha

Do you think 3/4" x 16" x 36" plywood would work with a total of four 1/2" threaded rods? Really would like to get away with that, if I could haha
You didn't ask me. But, I think 16" depth might be too narrow to be stable.

Years ago, I built a dual Flexy after reading about them on the TNT Audio website. A local lumber yard supplied a 4' x 8' x 3/4" MDF which they obligingly cut into 12 16" x 24" pieces. I used 5/8" all thread for the rods.

The 1/2" all thread your thinking of is IMO too small. Also, using only four rods far a three-foot-long shelf may result in sagging in the middle if you place a power amplifier or a large receiver on it. I would use at least one more rod in the middle.

A 16" depth is enough for either of my TT's (Micro Seiki DQ-43, VPI HW-19) to fit nicely on a single shelf. I used five rods, two on each end and one in the middle

The whole shebang was quite reasonable cost wise. The most expensive items were the nuts for the rods. They were >$60 for a box of fifty. The metal and neoprene washers were so inexpensive I don't remember their cost.

Salamander audio racks also use 5/8" all thread rods. I bought some of their screw on spikes for my Flexy. It is extremely stable. It sits on a suspended wood floor and normal traffic has no effect on the TT.

Years ago, I built a dual Flexy after reading about them on the TNT Audio website. A local lumber yard supplied a 4' x 8' x 3/4" MDF which they obligingly cut into 12 16" x 24" pieces. I used 5/8" all thread for the rods.

The 1/2" all thread your thinking of is IMO too small. Also, using only four rods far a three-foot-long shelf may result in sagging in the middle if you place a power amplifier or a large receiver on it. I would use at least one more rod in the middle.

A 16" depth is enough for either of my TT's (Micro Seiki DQ-43, VPI HW-19) to fit nicely on a single shelf. I used five rods, two on each end and one in the middle

The whole shebang was quite reasonable cost wise. The most expensive items were the nuts for the rods. They were >$60 for a box of fifty. The metal and neoprene washers were so inexpensive I don't remember their cost.

Salamander audio racks also use 5/8" all thread rods. I bought some of their screw on spikes for my Flexy. It is extremely stable. It sits on a suspended wood floor and normal traffic has no effect on the TT.
Thanks for the info! I decided to go with 5/8” and seems fine with 4 rods… its a welcome addition to my little photo studio rental space…

Attachments

• IMG_2035.jpeg
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom