C47 vs C52 ... Features aside, is ultimate performance the same ?

I just picked up a used C48 and am selling a C39 and MC7106 on Craigslist. Looking to get a used MC152 since my listening room is only 12'x15'. Very happy with the C48 and like the equalization controls. Recording engineers use equalization in the mastering process so it only makes sense to have equalization control on a preamp.
The C48 sounds great with the MC152, thats what my setup is. It should be perfect for that size room.

I'd figured the difference between the C47 and C52 amounted to cosmetics and inputs. I'm not sure how the human brain actually perceives a SNR 100 vs. 110, but if that figure is different I'd say the differences go deeper then I thought.

Note having gone from a D100 (said to be the same as the D150 save for DSD) to a C47 that's night and day. The digital preamps are great but don't compare to the "real preamps".

The specs on C47 and C52 are identical, they are both -100db S/N ratio. The digital section is only used with digital inputs all others are pure analog including the volume control.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Very interesting Bob. For me, I feel the C200 unlocks the full capability of my system. My XRT22s are obviously very different animals than your 802s. Given that your MC501s are quad balanced, it's fair to assume that you are using XLR cables to feed them. I wonder if any of your sources were also fully balanced. Regardless, this would prove that no single component is right for every system.

Do you intend to keep the C200?
Will be selling the C200 soon as I can determine a value. Not many of them around to compare..

The specs on C47 and C52 are identical, they are both -100db S/N ratio. The digital section is only used with digital inputs all others are pure analog including the volume control.

Thanks,
Ron-C

i just bought a new MC302 amp and wondering what would be the better choice of a preamp. I've been tossing the idea around of the C47 or C52. I'm not sure if the C52 would be a little of an overkill with the MC302. I already have an EQ (BSR EQ-3000) hooked up to current preamp (NAD C160).

Some people don't like the minimal look of the C47 because of the lack of controls. Personally, I really like the look of the 47 - clean and simple. I'm a purist and keep tone settings flat. Because of that, the 8 band Eq on the 52 doesn't make sense for me. Both are fantastic with a great DAC section.

I'm running my now "ancient" C2200 with a 302 and could not be happier. If you like the look of the 47 go with that. I had one in-house for a tryout and thought it was a great unit. I like the 52 better due to the EQ flexibility. But if you don't use tone controls and won't miss the meters than it's a wash. Plus you'll save some decent bucks! In either case check with Audio Classics for a B1 "used" one. B1 means it's basically brand new and you save even more that way. As for the 52 being overkill. Um, no. And you might find the stellar EQ system bests your current BSR. Just my 2c's, YMMV. :)
i went to a dealer today and he had me listen to the D1100 preamp. Not sure if i want to limit myself to just digital.

There have been many studies about masking by louder sounds of quieter sounds. There are many different answers depending on if we are talking about single tones or narrow bands of frequencies, or broad bands. Whether the bands are close together or spread far a part. In the days of tubes and R2R tape it was easy to hear tape hiss when the dynamic range was only 45 to 60 db. When High output tape came along and the dynamic range went from 50 or so db to over 75 db tape hiss was very difficult with music playing. When DBX and Dolby A came along with high output tape with over 85 db signal to noise the system had to be turned up and with no music playing to hear the noise. When amps started approaching 100 db signal to noise unless the speakers were very efficient like big Klipsch, Prof, JBL and Altec there just wasn't any noise to hear. What we hear and what we sense can be two different things how ever. But I would think your pretty safe with a 100 db pre-amp. But you want the amp to be at least 6 to 10 db quieter, because the two can add together to raise the noise level by as much as 6 db if they are both rated the same with the noise in the same spectrum. Listen to a full string or wind symphony some times with music of a broad spectrum being played. Ask your self if you can separate the first and second violas and the first and second cellos. Or what are the baritones and alto horns doing when being covered by the Trombones. Some times it only takes 10to 15 db difference in levels to mask important sounds or extraneous noises.

I hate that the C48 preamp has been discontinued. From time to time I have considered the possibility of a C48+MC302 system. For me the C48 had the perfect feature set with 5 band EQ and no meters.

Back
Top Bottom