CA-1010 v A-S1000

The Fez

....History repeating.....

I've had a bit of a play with these two amps today. I'll write up a brief review shortly...Both 90w a side into 8ohms..Interesting that is.....That's my fully re-capped / restored CA-1010 there going at it with the A-S1000...

Picture024_zpsa6df56ba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My money is on the CA-1010

The Fez:
With the same speakers, I'll bet the CA-1010 will sound better than the A-S1000, especially with some complex music, e.g., symphony. I'm biased as I have a recently recapped CA-1010 but I make the bet based on the difference in amp power measurement (then vs. now) and the better slew rate of the CA-1010. I have to admit however that I haven't heard the A-S1000, so I'm glad you've got both and are willing to tell us about your perceptions. 8^) They both look great!
Mike

EXCELLENT. I have been waiting for exactly this kind of review for a long, long time!

I'm glad your C-1010 is refurbished, so it's a fair fight.

:lurk:

Well what a fun time was had with these two amplifiers. It’s not often you have a chance to listen to two amplifiers made by the same company separated by some thirty odd years. What follows is a brief description of my listening impressions of both amplifiers. I’m no “audiophile” professional reviewer of gear. These are just my ramblings on how I think they sound to me.

So we have the Yamaha Natural Sound CA-1010 (CA) integrated amplifier (1978) and the Yamaha Natural Sound A-S1000 (AS) integrated amplifier (2010).

The retro styling of the AS is attractive to my eye obviously. It’s interesting to directly compare the AS to the amp that influenced its design.

Technically, both amps are rated at 90w per channel driven at 8 ohms. The CA also has a switchable Class A function that is rated at 18w. Both amps have tone controls bass and treble. There is no loudness controls on either amps.

The AS employs a “floating balanced” design in the power amp and some innovative engineering and design in the tone section. I’m no tech guru but I believe Yamaha’s objective was to create a symmetrical operation, thus resulting in superior sound quality. There is also a parallel electronic tone and volume controls that is claimed to be of superior design also.

Certainly in terms of technology, the CA is of the “analogue era” and the AS the “digital age”. Ultimately however, none of that matters, rather how do they sound?

The A-S1000
The first thing you notice about the AS is it’s weight. This is one heavy integrated amplifier, heavier than the CA by some 2kgs. It weighs in at an impressive 22kg. I know heavy amps, most of my vintage collection is of a weighty disposition. The AS is in the same weight category as the Yamaha CA-2010 and Rotel 1412 integrated.

No question, the current model Yamaha’s tank like build is as good as, if not better than the CA series of amps. Very impressive.

On first listen, the first thing I noticed about the AS were the highs and mids. It’s interesting, as when I listen to different amps, the first thing I generally hear is the bass rendition. But that didn’t happen with AS. The AS has a very detailed top end. Some may find the treble verging on too “bright”, but not for me.

Mids are also good, with voices reproduced naturally and nicely. It’s not the fastest amp I’ve heard, but it’s good. Bass – plenty of it, gowing way down, plenty of slam. But it’s a good bass, nicely reproduced and controlled.

This is one very composed and powerful amplifier. It has effortless power and sounds big. I think it will drive any speaker down to 4 ohms - LOUD without even breaking a sweat. My notes read “powerful, yet articulate”, “neutral” and “composed” Certainly that’s what it is and then some.
Its an amplifier that you just want to keep turning up. And it delivers a precise, composed sound at high volumes. It is a non-fatiguing, linear, neutral delivery. If you like your music on the louder side, this amp is for you.

The CA-1010

The immediate impression - the CA is not as detailed in its delivery as the AS. It can’t match the AS in the articulation stakes, treble not as sharp, mids not as defined.

Where the AS appears to extract every nuance of detail from the track, the CA seemed a little veiled in its rendition compared to the AS. The difference in sound is not as big as one would imagine. In terms of bass, the CA matches the AS in bottom end. Its not as tight, but there is plenty of bass, extension is good, very nice bass from the CA.

Just like the AS, the CA has plenty of effortless power. It’s a definite vintage Yamaha sound and its very good. Neutral and revealing, and it just keeps giving. As you turn up the CA it continues to deliver a very composed sound. Not as rock solid as the AS however.

Pete Mac did a very nice re-capping on this amp, and it sounds like it. Very sweet indeed. This CA has not had a lot of hours on it since its restore. Minimal actually, and I think it may getter better as it is used.

Switching to Class A, we turn up the heat, literally! Everything tightens up and there is more detail, the gap narrows and it’s a very enjoyable smooth listen.

Summary
Both amps are designed in the “natural sound” ethic, its not night and day between them. But the CA is not as refined it does not have the composure of the AS at higher volumes. However it’s a great amp and I really like its sound.

The tonal neutrality of these amps, makes it easy to match source and speakers. A wide range would be available to you.

If we use the car as an analogy. The AS is a current model Mercedes. Using the latest technology, beautifully engineered, and built to a very high standard. It stops, and steers with ultimate precision and can cruise for long periods at high speeds without the driver getting tired. The CA is simply a 1978 Mercedes. Aged gracefully, still looks stunning, does everything right, can stay with the AS to a point. But ultimately can’t match the new car on the Autobahn.

Both amps are a joy to listen to. I’m keeping both of em! And look forward to many hours of enjoyable listening.

Associated Equipment
Squeezebox Touch
Rega DAC
Grave Science -10db Interconnects
Rogers LS2a Monitors (8ohms)
Quad 12L2 Monitors (6ohms)

Music
Talking Heads – Best Of
Angus & Julia Stone – A Book Like This
Acoustic Alchemy - Aart
Dire Straits – Brothers In Arms
k.d. Lang – All You Can Eat
Dave’s True Story – Unauthorised (Hi Res)
Donald Fagen – Sunken Condos (Hi Res)
Amy Winehouse - Frank

Great review. A year ago I would have put my money on the CA...that is until I purchased my A-S2000. Your conclusions are very similar to mine. I have a couple vintage Yamaha's and while they are fantastically enjoyable, the A-S2000 exists in a different sonic hemisphere. I know you will enjoy both.

Thanks Fez, very interesting!

Your findings are actually what I was hoping to find when I did my CA-1000 vs. A-S700 review. As I've continued to listen to the A-S700 I'm actually liking it less and less. I desperately miss the "real" feeling that my CA-1000 provides to a greater degree (with acoustic classical and older "rock" recordings), and the A-S700 is proving to sometimes be too bright on some recordings, but still smooth. My CA-1000 is out of commission right now.

I'm actually the in process of fixing up a Kenwood KA-7100 and I'm anxious to hear how it compares to the A-S700. From what I recall when I had a 7100 previously, I thought the CA-1000 sounded "sweeter" but still very similar.

Last edited:
Yes I can understand the brightness issue. I haven't heard the 700 however. I would tend to agree, that on older rock records the 1010 may be a better listen. I don't think the A-S1000 would suit heavy metal or heavy rock fans...

I'll be interested next time in using the phono stages of each amp. I just didn't get the time to set up the table with this listen...

Hopefully when they start break'n parts will be available as well as a service manual..LOL
Dandy looking amplifier.

Last edited:
Interesting review. I guess the results are as expected.

Now, how does that AS-1000 compare to Yamaha vintage separates?? I still need to be convinced that I won't eventually buy one. :D

Thanks for the detailed comparison. Wish we had more like this around here. I wish I had the dough to make a similar comparison with my Accuphase E303x and its modern counterpart. The A-S series of amps has had my eye since they came out...would love to hear any one of them but I haven't had a chance yet.

Thank you for your listening impressions. I agree, not enough of this kind of review around.

Interesting that they use a 'floating balanced' design - I think it must share similarities with the 'Super GF' designs that Sansui was an exponent of. The terms you use to describe the sound of the A-S1000 strike a chord with my own thoughts on the sound qualities of the Sansui AU-D11 II I have.

And I notice they used the same idea on the rear panel, that I used for my upgraded speaker terminals on the AU-D11 II, with clear perspex behind the speaker terminals. Yamaha's reason for doing this I am thinking, would be two-fold, A). to reduce the possibility of shorting either speaker terminal to the rear panel (as both speaker terminals are 'hot'). And B). possibly to protect the rear panel from scratch damage caused during attachment of those speaker cables.

Thanks again.

Funny you should bring up the AU-D11 II. I compared My A-S2000 to the AU-D11 II and they sound pretty close! The A-S2000 does have a more detailed upper range which at first I wasn't used to but now enjoy.

Has anyone done a Yamaha Ca-2010 and A-S2000 comparison?

I'm also interested in the phono playback of the Ca-1010 vs A-S1000, is one significantly better?

Hopefully when they start break'n parts will be available as well as a service manual..LOL
Dandy looking amplifier.

I already have the SM for my A-S2000. Soldering works on a double sided pcb with some SMD-parts could be challenging.

All so subjective, saw a review that said A-S1000 lacks in detail :scratch2:
How much is a second hand A-S1000 worth? I don't see many available to compare. I saw one available for £400.

I've read many reviews suggesting that the A-S2000 was much better sounding than the A-S1000 (haven't heard myself). The prices are high, indeed. If money wasn't an issue (and local availlability) I'd go with the new A-S2100, which seems to be a step further in design and construction. Why Yamaha only offer their cheapest offerings in my area?

Back
Top Bottom