Cable - audible differences?

Plating and wire materials are very interesting. In my system I use two 75 Ohm RCA cables; one on my universal player and the other on my streamer.

I had been using WireWorld UltraViolet cables, which consist of a 24AWG silver-plated wire and has gold over silver RCAs. I replaced those with the Cullen Nitin Coax that uses an 18AWG solid copper wire with Belden 75 Ohm RCAs with nickel/tin plating over brass.

I much prefer the Cullen. It has a smoother, fuller and a more quite sound. I was surprised because I wasn't sure what to expect from connectors the nickel/tin plating over brass.

A new power cable I have has Rhodium plated plugs and uses silver-plated copper wire and my new speaker cable also uses silver-plated wire as well. I was apprehensive about trying them, because I have read so many negative experiences of people not liking Rhodium or silver plating and nickel/tin plating; but after a bit more than 50 hours in with them my system has never sounded better.

All that to say that cables can be very frustrating. I'm glad I'm nearing the point that I won't have to think about them (much).;-)

Cheers,

Scott

You might find this interesting samac as it supports your position. Reds and greens "do not mix" if possible.
Second list rectification voltages between materials.

Materials Mating Corrosion 4.png Materials Mating Corrosion 5.jpg

I always use bare wire — the most direct connection is the best. Unless I'm experimenting with different amps/speakers; then I use bananas for convenience. I always tin the bare wire to prevent stray strands, and stiffen it (easier to work with that way) — then scrape the solder off the outside with a blade, so only copper is exposed, and only shiny copper makes the contact.
Bare wire is not an option for me unless I go to smaller wire or change the binding posts on my amps and speakers. I use ridiculously expensive (to me anyway) Furutech and Neotech bananas in two of my systems. If nothing else they look pretty badass.

Bare wire is not an option for me unless I go to smaller wire or change the binding posts on my amps and speakers.
It doesn't matter, Roadrash. The sonic difference between bare wire and bananas (or spades et al) isn't even audible... to me at least. I try to use the best type of connection at every point in my system in the hope that the cumulative benefit will be audible. I use bare wire when possible — but I wouldn't discard high-quality cables or modify my amps and speakers simply to use bare wire. If I caused any concern about this, I apologize, not my intent — Neotech and Furutech are great — and look great.

It doesn't matter, Roadrash. The sonic difference between bare wire and bananas (or spades et al) isn't even audible... to me at least. I try to use the best type of connection at every point in my system in the hope that the cumulative benefit will be audible. I use bare wire when possible — but I wouldn't discard high-quality cables or modify my amps and speakers simply to use bare wire. If I caused any concern about this, I apologize, not my intent — Neotech and Furutech are great — and look great.
No worries my man. I've used bare wire, and spades too. I really like the Neotech plugs but they don't work well with my L-09Ms, that's why I bought the Furutechs for that system. They work better with my amps and let me get my Allisons closer to the wall since they're angled. I agree that bare wire is best, but if you can't do that, good pure copper based plugs are perfectly acceptable. I value everyones point of view here, that's how you learn new things.

I didn't notice you have the L-09Ms. Me too; I haven't installed them yet because I'm replacing the speaker terminals (broken) but I'm really excited about it. How should I connect them, RR? Bare wire or bananas?:)

I didn't notice you have the L-09Ms. Me too; I haven't installed them yet because I'm replacing the speaker terminals (broken) but I'm really excited about it. How should I connect them, RR? Bare wire or bananas?:)
I went with bananas because I'm using an 8 foot run of10ga ofc to compensate for the fact that I can't put the amps right next to the speaker. The 10ga won't fit into the OEM terminals, and the Neotechs were SUPER tight so I went with the Furutech FP- 202g plugs. Since you're replacing the less than ideal original posts you should have more options. Whatever you decide, you're going to LOVE those amps!!!

Since you're replacing the less than ideal original posts you should have more options. Whatever you decide, you're going to LOVE those amps!!!
I replaced them with a 5-way type Bryston used on several amps; I figured they must be rugged (Bryston makes pro gear) and good (they make audiophile gear) and free (lying it a box for years waiting for deserving amps). I KNOW I'll love them, I already do — I tested them with some Thiels when I got them. Mine are stock but look mint inside — did you do any work on yours? Age is always a worry... [Maybe this belongs in a Kenwood thread...]

I replaced them with a 5-way type Bryston used on several amps; I figured they must be rugged (Bryston makes pro gear) and good (they make audiophile gear) and free (lying it a box for years waiting for deserving amps). I KNOW I'll love them, I already do — I tested them with some Thiels when I got them. Mine are stock but look mint inside — did you do any work on yours? Age is always a worry... [Maybe this belongs in a Kenwood thread...]
Mine are stock also. I bought them from the original owner, who owned an electronics repair business locally. He was a factory authorized Kenwood repair center and got a deal on them when they were new. They are absolutely mint, and he went through them before he sold them to me. He demoed them for me on the bench, and they were both above 400 watts. Keep in mind that's a bench test, but it's a fair indicator of their health. And you're right, any further discussion should probably go to the Kenwood forum.

Back
Top Bottom