Cabledyne Silver Reference XLR Cable Review

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by brichter, Mar 24, 2013.

1. brichter

brichter Well-Known Member

I picked these up from the Post Office on the morning of Monday, the 11th. I could have had them on the 8th , but USPS tracking never lets you know beforehand when they’re going to show up, so I was out when the mailman came by on Saturday. My first impression when I picked it up was that the package was awfully heavy for a couple of cables; I wondered what else was in the box. When I got to work, I opened the package, and all there was is an envelope with an instruction letter and the cables. The cables are indeed heavy, much more so than the Monster cables they’re being compared to. I was impressed with the build quality and strength, and the connectors are Switchcraft, nothing more needs to be said about the quality there. They have less “wobble” when installed than the Monster cables do, probably because they’re metal, not plastic, and the tolerances are tighter.

I got home that night, pulled out the Monster cables and installed the Cabledynes. This was a little more of a job than I initially imagined. These are flexible to an extent, but not as much as the Monsters, which are much thinner and don’t have braided shielding. I tried to use about a 6” radius at the minimum, since it took a lot of force to make the radius any tighter. It took a little finagling to get them to sit the way I wanted. The cable clamps included with them are better suited for source-preamp connections where the cables will run parallel to each other, but I’m using these between my preamp and 2 amps located next to each of my speakers. Even so, I was able to use a few of the clamps effectively behind my equipment to keep them sorted. The shield on the cables is connected to signal ground, so the usual care needs to be taken here to prevent them from contacting any exposed metal on other components.

Once I got everything situated, it was pretty late, so I turned on the system and spent about 10 minutes listening to them, my initial impression was positive. Following CDs recommendation of 50 hours of use to allow the cables to settle into their location, I left the system powered on over the next couple of days, popping my head in now and then to take a listen. Since this was just a minute or 2 at a time, I didn’t really notice any difference in performance during the 2 days settle time.

I spent the next week and a half or so switching the Cabledynes and the Monsters in and out a couple of times, and it got to the point where I looked forward to removing the Monsters as soon as I put them in. The Cabledynes win hands down; they may be stiff and strong in the physical world, but nothing like that in the audio domain. Whether it’s thumping bass, detailed vocal solos, or high frequencies, these cables add and subtract nothing; they just get out of the way and let the system work. If you're looking for a "warm" cable or a "bright" cable, these probably aren't for you, they're very neutral in my system. The noise floor is lower than the system with the Monster cables in it, probably due to better shielding on the Cabledynes.

I listen to a wide range of stuff, from classic and current rock, to jazz with a lot of woodwinds, piano, and Celtic folk music, all due to my daughter’s musical history. She was all over the map when it comes to what she wanted to learn to play; she started on the piano then moved to wind instruments, from a penny whistle, bagpipes, and flute/piccolo, to Alto, Tenor, and Baritone sax. The Cabledynes sound remarkably better with every type of music I’ve put through this system.

Big thanks to Cabledyne and AudioKarma for letting me try these cables, my system sounds closer to “being there” than ever before! With the build quality I mentioned above, I’m certain these cables will still be going strong in my system many decades in the future when I pass it down.

Equipment list:
    Technics Sl-1200, with low capacitance interconnects, Grado Green cartridge
    Schiit Bifrost, used with my Mac Mini or MacBook Pro and mostly lossless files, Silver RCA interconnects
    McIntosh C2300 preamp, with Gold Lion Genalex ECC83s in the MM stage, and PSVANE 12AX7s in the line stage.
    Cabledyne Silver Reference XLR Cables
    2x MC275 MkV amps, JJ KT88s, JJ 12AX7as and JAN Milspec Phillips 12AT7WCs
    Klipsch Forte IIs with Sonicap-equipped crossovers

2. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Nikki's gone to the Rainbow Bridge. Staff Member Admin Subscriber

Thanks for the review. Enjoy your cables.

3. Mr. Lin

Mr. Lin Lunatic Member

Thanks for participating, enjoy!

4. Cabledyne

Cabledyne AK Vendor

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our cables!

Ed Bowman