Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

CR-3020....My first piece of Yamaha gear purchased around 1980 at Danby Radio Corporation, Philadelphia; still going strong.
You are the first person other than me (that I've seen) to mention Danby since I've been on this board. I purchased my first Sony PS-X7 TT/TA and a pair of MC60s from Dan Greenfield (the owner) in 1977-8 when he was in Center City, before Danby was sold and moved to the Main Line. Don't recall seeing any Yamaha in the CC store at that time. Very nice pair you have there. Obviously, "keepers". :thmbsp:

I'm looking at getting a Yamaha S500 for my system, to replace an old Pioneer SA-508, is this the right choice!?

I'm looking at getting a Yamaha S500 for my system, to replace an old Pioneer SA-508, is this the right choice!?

I think it would be more appropriate to start your own thread in the Yamaha or Pioneer forum, not here in a "post your pics" thread.

Cheers!

You are the first person other than me (that I've seen) to mention Danby since I've been on this board. I purchased my first Sony PS-X7 TT/TA and a pair of MC60s from Dan Greenfield (the owner) in 1977-8 when he was in Center City, before Danby was sold and moved to the Main Line. Don't recall seeing any Yamaha in the CC store at that time. Very nice pair you have there. Obviously, "keepers". :thmbsp:

If I remember correctly the store was somewhere around 20th and Green Sts....at the time I had a job just off Rittenhouse Square while going to college.....Daniel was a man of few words and at the time I didn't know he was quite a celebrity in the audio business along with David Hafler. At the time I frequented his store he delt mainly in McIntosh from what I remember but at that time I wasn't in to separates. Around the same time I purchased my Sony PS-X70 TT(which I still have) at Nathan Mutchnik on South St. So Danby is still in business?

If I remember correctly the store was somewhere around 20th and Green Sts....at the time I had a job just off Rittenhouse Square while going to college.....Daniel was a man of few words and at the time I didn't know he was quite a celebrity in the audio business along with David Hafler. At the time I frequented his store he delt mainly in McIntosh from what I remember but at that time I wasn't in to separates. Around the same time I purchased my Sony PS-X70 TT(which I still have) at Nathan Mutchnik on South St. So Danby is still in business?
When I frequented his shop it was on 21st between Chestnut and Market. It moved out to somewhere on the Mainline sometime around 1980-81, but I was at Bell Labs in Murray Hill, NJ by then. It was my understanding that Dan Greenfield (Danby) was no longer associated with it. Believe Danby Radio is still in business in Ardmore, PA.

When I frequented his shop it was on 21st between Chestnut and Market. It moved out to somewhere on the Mainline sometime around 1980-81, but I was at Bell Labs in Murray Hill, NJ by then. It was my understanding that Dan Greenfield (Danby) was no longer associated with it. Believe Danby Radio is still in business in Ardmore, PA.

Yes, that is the same place. I was close at 20th St but not sure where I got the Green St from. But I remember getting off the Subway Surface lines from West Philly somewhere on Market St and having to cut across Rittenhouse square to get to work at 18th and Spruce; just down from the Barclay Hotel. I would detour to Danby Radio on my way to and from work. I haven't been in that area in 30 years. Daniel was usually repairing something on the counter at the rear of the store when I would stop by.

My Yammies

My DDP-1 is en route, at the whopping cost of $14.95. Hope it works, or at least needs minimal repair. Can't wait to throw that thing on top of the 2090 and let it rip!

Silver:
HTR-5650-002.jpg

HTR-5650-001.jpg

The Black Beast:
RX-V2090-001.jpg

In yo face:
RX-V2090-002.jpg

Last edited:
My meager collection consists of a P-450 TT that a friend gave me.
It needed a new belt and cart. Sounds great to me.
Secondly, i have a CDC-506 cd player i bought at a yard sale for $5.
It replaced and sounds much better than the Technics player i bought
new back in the day.

Attachments

• IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 40
Latest Yamaha Aquisitions

Just finished setting up my latest system which is topped off by two Yamaha GT-2000x's

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

How does the VPI compare to the 2000x?:scratch2:

That can be a very difficult question to answer because it is hard to compare apples to apples. If I had to make a choice as they stand I would say the VPI is better. The VPI seems to run quieter and seems to have a better all around tonal quality than the 2000X. The depth of soundstage and detail is phenominal. Better than the 2000x. But that may be due to the setup and cartridge combination rather than the turntable itself. The VPI uses the massive periphery ring which will make nearly any warped vinyl perfectly flat making the tonearm motionless and tracking flawless. I am using a Lyra Titan i as its cartridge. I can not mount the Lyra on the standard 2000x YSA-1 or YSA-2 arm so I placed a YSA-39 arm on one 2000x to try to make comparisons. For some reason I am getting feedback hum when using that arm combination; so a direct comparison isn't possible until I can get that problem resolved. The VPI also uses the rimdrive system which isolates the motor from the plinth/platter which I believe accounts for its ability to run nearly silently.

The 2000x with the Victor MC-L1000 cartridge sounds very good but with less detail and less dynamic bass. I believe that is more due to the cartridge than the turntable, but the Victor is the best I have that will fit the YSA-2 arm. There does seem to be slightly more background noise with slight rumble in the 2000x which I will assume to be the table at this point.

Another comparison which affects sound quality is setup. The VPI can be difficult to setup and dial in. The 2000x is a breeze in comparison. On the VPI when tracking force is adjusted, azimuth will change and vice versa. It is difficult to get both dead on simultaneously on the unipivot arm. Overhang is fairly straight forward. On the 2000x overhang and azimuth are interconnected but are much less finicky to deal with than the azimuth tracking force interconnection on the VPI. I am not sure my explanation is clear but to make a final comparison, overall I would say the VPI has better sound quality but the 2000x is certainly no slouch.

Last edited:
Yamaha and JBL. :thmbsp:

And Accuphase. The JBL 4345's are BiAmped with a P-360 above 290Hz and a P500L below 290Hz; divided by an F-25. The JBL 250Ti's are powered by M-1000 Monoblocs. Preamp is C-280L. More pictures and details in my albums if interested.

Which VPI TT is that? One of the things I really like about my GT-2000 is how easy it is to setup. I thought about buying one of the rings to sit on the LP. I might have to try that now. I missed the Accuphase amps, very nice. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom