Cambridge Audio CXU vs. Oppo BDP-105 CD Sound Quality?

Vinyl Rules!

A recent edition of What Hi-Fi? reviewed the Cambridge Audio CXU universal disc player and gave it high praise.

I had planned to upgrade to an Oppo BDP-105, but the magazine's review noted CD's played through the CXU sounded significantly better than CD's played through the 105.:whip:

About 75% of my use will be listening to CD's and the other 25% viewing movies.

However, I want a single unit that plays both CD's and Blu-Rays and DVDs. :rockon:

The 105 uses the 32 bit ESS Sabre DAC's that get high praise, whilst the CXU uses some older Wolfson 24 bit DAC's (not their most current DAC's). I'm not sure if this is important, as I've always read the configuration of a DAC, how it is used in a circuit, and its power supply are much more important than the specific DAC.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare both of these specific two units on CD's, and if so, can you share your opinions? :music:

Thank you. :smoke:

Can't help you but I am also interested in this comparison. The CXU looks very intriguing as a possible replacement for my Oppo 103 at least.

I have a comment about the relative merits of the Oppo and Cambridge CXU players. I bought the CXU as a backup and alternate for my current Oppo BDP-95. I noted the review in WHAT HI-FI which stated unequivocally that the Cambridge beat the Oppo on sound quality, particularly in the bass. I absolutely cannot understand that comment. It runs completely counter to my own experience. Far from having lesser quality bass, in side-by side comparisons at identical volume, the Oppo simply creams the CXU -- it's as if there's an entire lower octave of bass in the Oppo which the CXU only hints at. I use ONLY the dedicated stereo outputs in both the Oppo and the CXU, and am using both players as purely audio units -- I have no interest in blu-ray. Apart from the bass, the CXU has a nice soft musical quality, which I suspect may reflect a slight roll-off of high frequencies. People who love metal-dome tweeters may find this player absolutely ideal (except in the bass, where its relative lack tends to rob the entire listening experience of intimacy, impact and outright slam). I currently use two SVS SB-13 ultra subs, backing up four full-range electrostatics.

Back
Top Bottom