Cambridge audio usb to 12v trigger

Jeff Garand

I have a cambridge audio cxn and a Ps audio hca-2 .
The Hca-2 has an input for a12va trigger and there is none on the cxn. So, I tried, using the USB on the cxn to send 5 volt to the input trigger of the Hca-2. It works perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_20180219_125342.jpg
    IMG_20180219_125342.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 31
Jeff ,
Can you tell me how you made the usb trigger for the cxn .....
Which wires from the usb cable did you connect to the 3.5mm mono jack ?
Did the front USB or rear USB port work ?

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
So, I tried, using the USB on the cxn to send 5 volt to the input trigger of the Hca-2. It works perfectly.

Jeff, any chance to share the layout of that cable please? I just pulled the trigger on the CA only to find it is missing the same

Thanks

Daniel

Jeff, any chance to share the layout of that cable please? I just pulled the trigger on the CA only to find it is missing the same

Thanks

Daniel

You might want to send Jeff a private message in the hope that he reads it. His profile shows that he hasn’t visited the forum in two years.

Hope this helps ...
I posted this on another forum after I figured it out .....

Cut the end off a USB cable , stripped the sheath off ....
The green and white are data , the red and black are power , black being ground.
Spliced the usb power wires to a mono 3.5mm jack cable and presto , 851 now has a 12v trigger out !! Snip the green/white wires , wrap rest with electrical tape or whatever to make pretty ...

Turns the amp on and off !

It would probably work with anything , TV’s etc , that has a powered USB port ....

Bk

upload_2020-4-15_18-9-11.jpeg

Just in case anyone else is interested...
Personally , I think this is a potentially great problem solver for some ...
I know it was for me ...
I figured it out after I found this , knowing a USB port had power ..

upload_2020-4-15_18-10-48.png

upload_2020-4-15_18-9-11.jpeg

Oh , btw ....
It works on the back USB port on my Cambridge 851n ...
May work on the front one , didn’t try it ....
Should work on any powered USB port that is only powered when unit is turned on ....

Bk

Oh , btw ....
It works on the back USB port on my Cambridge 851n ...
May work on the front one , didn’t try it ....
Should work on any powered USB port that is only powered when unit is turned on ....

Bk

Thanks for putting this together, BK1 :)

Assuming that will do on my CXN v2 as well - will post result here of course. I'm waiting for my mono jack right now

Cheers

You’ll have to play around with the wires on the mono jack to figure out which one is ground and power .....
It’ll work just fine on the CXN ....

bk

Back
Top Bottom