Came back to the land of Weber

659658a5110ac8405a6b997b88b55d2baaea4fcc

...and there you have it.

I think they had geraniums in them when I visited. :D

Wonder if people were grabbing the grills for souvenirs? Kinda like Jack In the Box heads and Fat Fu ... er ... Big Boy statues.

Long as we're on the subject of grills ... this looks like a hot option for smokers ...

(and yes, I know, it's not a Weber, so shoot me already) <G>

I never really learned how to cook on my old appliances, but I keep trying ... <G>

One minor complaint about any Weber kettle I've had is the air circulation from the bottom. One trick that really helps ... I dished out an old grill rack so it sits a couple inches over the ash tray and vents, and the coals go into that. Works real slick, keeping the charcoal burning nicely and evenly.

PS ... anyone else re-use their charcoal? Stuff's too expensive anymore to toss, and the kettle puts them out stone cold when I close the top vents. I just give the kettle a good shake prior to the next session to sift the ash off the old charcoal before topping it off. Ditto on the mesquite logs that surround the coals ...

Here's what I was looking at when I popped the top today ...

bbq-coals-(2).jpg

And here it is after shaking the ash and topping everything off.

bbq-coals-(1).jpg

Bring on da meat!

Last edited:
PS ... anyone else re-use their charcoal?
All the time. I fill my chimney part way with new coals, then fill it the rest of the way with the used coals. And that lid does extinguish the coals rather quickly. I cooked one dinner today where I closed off the vents at 5pm. At 6:15pm, had to relight it--the coals were still warm, but were no longer lit, and I was able to dump them by hand into the chimney.

I am still trying to talk myself into the Performer. Part of me thinks it's just an excuse to get something new, when this old one still works perfectly fine. If I could, I would build my own version of the Performer cart/table to set the kettle into. No welding skillz, though. :(

How about one of the Keter tables? Those are stainless top and plenty of storage ...

0015963_unity-entertainment-storage-unit.jpeg

Different sizes available, ranging up to a couple hundred bux ... beer holder extra! <G>

I've got an old set of steel legs left over from a radial arm saw that I mounted to a workbench that I'm thinking would work real slick for a BBQ table. Just make a butcher block top for it ... I suppose I could even half round one end to fit closer to the kettle and line the edge near the grill with steel for heat protection. Just use spacers between the steel and wood for air circulation. That's kinda sorta how I got the legs set up now as a potting bench next to an old kettle anyway ... Just cut the legs down some so the table's even with the kettle is all.

spring-ready-002.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on my 2nd Performer Premium. I wore the 1st one out. I liked the stainless steel table top on the original better than the plastic table on the new one. The new one uses a camping gas bottle for the charcoal lighter which is a vast improvement over the 2 gal tank that was a PITA to get refilled and paying the 5 gal min. for propane. The Performer premium is well worth it.

How about one of the Keter tables? Those are stainless top and plenty of storage ...

0015963_unity-entertainment-storage-unit.jpeg

Different sizes available, ranging up to a couple hundred bux ... beer holder extra! <G>

I've got an old set of steel legs left over from a radial arm saw that I mounted to a workbench that I'm thinking would work real slick for a BBQ table. Just make a butcher block top for it ... I suppose I could even half round one end to fit closer to the kettle and line the edge near the grill with steel for heat protection. Just use spacers between the steel and wood for air circulation. That's kinda sorta how I got the legs set up now as a potting bench next to an old kettle anyway ... Just cut the legs down some so the table's even with the kettle is all.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...galvanized-legs-and-undershelf/600T2424G.html

Here is what I use with my grill. $100 to your door. They have all different styles and sizes here. I use the top for everything and the bottom shelf holds my grill tank.

spring-ready-002.jpg
Hell just looked. This tables is free shipping right now. May order another.

Last edited:
I'm on my 2nd Performer Premium. I wore the 1st one out. I liked the stainless steel table top on the original better than the plastic table on the new one. The new one uses a camping gas bottle for the charcoal lighter which is a vast improvement over the 2 gal tank that was a PITA to get refilled and paying the 5 gal min. for propane. The Performer premium is well worth it.
The propane system is one reason I'm leaning towards replacement. Not so much for me (I use the chimney), but nobody else here wants to attempt to use my kettle since it seems so difficult to light. (It's not, but you know how it goes... ;) ) I'm debating the crimson, or the copper.

The propane system is one reason I'm leaning towards replacement. Not so much for me (I use the chimney), but nobody else here wants to attempt to use my kettle since it seems so difficult to light. (It's not, but you know how it goes... ;) ) I'm debating the crimson, or the copper.
I use the chimney with the propane lighter. Takes 4 mins of gas to get it lit.

Back
Top Bottom