Can anyone identify these unmarked Infinity speakers??

0Hz

I was in a local thrift store today and saw a set of Infinities. I don't know their dimensions but they are a 3-way large bookshelf type.

They have NO stickers or other badging on them aside from the inifinty logo on the speaker covers. I think they may have been wall-mounted as there are a couple screw-holes in the back near the top corner edges. The backside has a groove like a panel is meant to be pried off but I don't know if this is real or simulated wood.

It almost looked plastic? I'm no expert as far as that goes. They were closing so I only had time to grab a couple pics nothing thorough. They are asking $23.99 per speaker, however the woofers need refoaming (??) from the looks of it.

The speakers themselves definitely had some "weight" to them. I mean I was surprised how heavy they were when I picked them to turn them around and look for markings, etc.

Would these potentially be worth going back for?

I think they are "Infinity Reference Three" ??

IMG_0052[1].JPG

IMG_0053[1].JPG

IMG_0054[1].JPG

Hmm yeah I believe these are in fact Reference Three's

I guess the only question is, it the repair job going to be something I am capable of, and how cheap will it be to get the needed parts.

Look on the top of the back plate where you connect your speaker wire. The model is usually pressed in the upper lip.

Look on the top of the back plate where you connect your speaker wire. The model is usually pressed in the upper lip.

I will see if I can do that when I go back on Monday. Honestly I don't think anything is there though.

The tweeters are different, I have found pictures of Infinity Reference Three's online and they look pretty much identical in all aspects, so I am thinking that is what these are. I think they may turn out to be decent sounding speakers but that depends on whether I can do the repairs they will need and if the cost will be worth it.

I see refurbs going online for around $100 - $120 ish good condition (very brief cursory search). It would cost $48 to pick the pair up... so that leaves the question of the parts needed to fix the woofers (both look like surrounds are rotting / rotted off )

Last edited:
Refoam kits can be purchased on ebay for $20-$30/pair.
Available elsewhere as well.
Double that if the mids also need refoaming.
Plenty of information on AK and youtube on DIY refoaming.

Reactions: 0Hz
Did a little research on that speaker configuration. They are "Reference 3" speakers. They should be a very nice sounding speaker.

You need to make sure the speakers are indeed the same Reference Three's. Infinity reused model names and numbers so there can be confusion, like the "are those the original XXX or the new XXX".
That company (Midwest) is reputable so you'd be safe buying from them.

As mentioned above, check the black terminal cup on the back of the speakers, there should/might be model number there.

Do it.

Might not be a big money maker ultimately but it gets them fixed and firing right for someone.

Back
Top Bottom