Can I Run A Receiver Like This?

SoCal Sam

Lunatic Member
Can I run a receiver standing on end? It's a Yamaha RX-777 doing computer duty.

vyiyDwT.jpg

26PiYYK.jpg

Depends on how hard you run it. Keep the load nice and easy, not pulling to much power, sure, no problem. Push it real hard and you could run into cooling problems. They are usually make to cool themselves in the horizontal orientation and would need to be that way if pulling a large portion of it's max power.

Shelly_D

Just as long as you have the vents facing away from the wood,like you do, I don't see a problem.

Should be fine but if you're really worried and feel like being creative, you could buy a 12v computer fan, ziptie it to the vents cut it's connector off and connect it to a 5v or 12v wall wart. Lower voltage = quiter but slower.

You might want to raise it an inch or two off the floor. There are vents on the side for a reason too.

Should be fine but if you're really worried and feel like being creative, you could buy a 12v computer fan, ziptie it to the vents cut it's connector off and connect it to a 5v or 12v wall wart. Lower voltage = quiter but slower.

Heat is always a consideration but Yamaha was conservative with the design and the amp runs at room temperature. My concern with running on the side had more to do with capacitors and whether the internal structure would distort and short over time.

Heat is always a consideration but Yamaha was conservative with the design and the amp runs at room temperature. My concern with running on the side had more to do with capacitors and whether the internal structure would distort and short over time.

Oh, nah in that case it'll be fine.

Caps don't care.

I often do it. They fit more places. No problems yet.

I'll turn it around on you Sam. I'm about to switch out my power amp for a pair of L-09M's. I'd like to put the Kenwoods behind the speakers, to hide them a bit and keep the speaker wires short.

Can I stand them upright to minimize their depth, from 17" to 6"? Fan intake will remain open.

Back
Top Bottom