Can I use a 110v tube amp in a 220v country?

fedocable

This is most probably a very silly question, but it doesn't hurt asking.
I'm going to buy a headphone tube amp (the Little Dot MK2, allegedly Class-A) in USA Amazon. Now, I'll take it back to South America where I live, and where the voltage is 220v/60Hz. And, for several reasons, I can only get the 110v version.
Normally, when you have a 110v appliance, you just need a step-down transformer and everything's fine. But here's my doubt in this case: can the use of a transformer, or the 50hz (instead of 60hz) of our voltage, somehow affect the sound of the amp?
Just checking! Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
no, the unit may warm up a bit. you may wish to look inside or at a schematic to
see whether the power transformer can be changed for world voltages.

that's assuming the unit was built in china and maybe designed there.

Google up "can 60 Hz transformers be used at 50 Hz?"

Overheating is the main risk but probably depends on how close to max the transformer is already operating.

Thanks to both. I did my googling, and found many people in my situation using step-down transformers without a problem. There are actually many threads about this, and the opinions are in favor of that solution; for example this one, also about a tube headphone amp:
"The only component carrying either 110/60Hz or 220V/50Hz is amp's power supply transformer. Everything past it is DC. Transformers used for power supply applications are not designed around specific frequency. It will work as good at 50 or 60Hz. In fact the same transformer will have slightly less loss at 60Hz than 50Hz"
I don't have any technical knowledge about this stuff, but according to this using a step-down transformer doesn't sound so risky, provided the VA rating is high enough.

I think it is certainly worth trying out and if others have done it with typical amps it will probably be fine.

That said, from my reading, what that post said about xfmrs not being designed for specific frequencies is not correct. There are in fact 50Hz and 60Hz transformers and they are each optimized for those conditions. Or, they are labeled for dual use (50/60Hz). Yours still may work fine on 50 Hz but they are not all the same.

With a step down transformer or power supply with ample current. Jut might be cheaper so buy a 230 volt unit.

Back
Top Bottom