can VLC output be made "bit perfect" ?

RShackleford

I've been trying to set up a "headless" Mac Mini as a media (most music) server in my A/V system. Though I like the audio quality of iTunes coupled with BitPerfect, the instability of iTunes has been a continuing source of exasperation (don't get me started here, but see http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....t-proof-my-macmini-music-server-setup.816213/ if you want to know more).

I've been advised to try a player other than iTunes (maybe continuing to use iTunes to manage my music library). I'd prefer not to pay. VLC is mentioned a lot, but I'm not getting a clear-cut answer on its audio quality - specifically, is it able to produce "bit perfect" digital output ? Mostly from 16-bit/441.khz rips of CDs. To be output via USB of the Mini's optical audio output to an external DAC. And with an iOS remote app available.

Still flailing I see. I would never have considered a person could have so much trouble with a plain Jane Apple iTunes setup. Something fishy going on here...

Still flailing I see. I would never have considered a person could have so much trouble with a plain Jane Apple iTunes setup. Something fishy going on here...
Turns out I did something stupid, I'll explain in that other thread. Don't want to clutter this one, and my question about VLC remains, even though I'm going to give iTunes a second (or thirteenth) chance.

Back
Top Bottom