cannot hear the difference of the SA-9800

merkan

Hi all,

I am listening SX-780 for about 8 months, I had HPM-40 and got HPM-60 about 2 month ago. Then a few days ago I got the SA-9800, it looks like in good condition, but not recapped yet. I cannot hear much difference from SX-780 (source yamaha CD-S700). I listened each right after other, one speaker with SX-780 and one with SA-9800 but almost the same. I think this not normal. possible reasons that I think
a) my ears are not good
b) HPM-60 is not good choice for the SA-9800 (is it?)
c) there is a problem with SA-9800

which one is more possible?

Well,there could be any number of reasons. The SA-9800 integrated should trounce the SX-780. I'd suggest you need a better quality source/CDP.
I can't vouch for the speakers/speaker cables as I've never heard 'em,but with quality headphones (like a pair of Sennheiser HD-650's) you should be able to hear a big difference between the two. If you still can't,then your SA-9800 might need a service.

The SX-780 amplifier stage is of sufficient quality to be transparent when not clipping.
Therefore another transparent amplifier, like the 9800, won't sound any different.

The 9800 has more features, better build, and more power.
It also has a superb phono stage so might sound better on vinyl.

hi all,

i am listening sx-780 for about 8 months, i had hpm-40 and got hpm-60 about 2 month ago. Then a few days ago i got the sa-9800, it looks like in good condition, but not recapped yet. I cannot hear much difference from sx-780 (source yamaha cd-s700). I listened each right after other, one speaker with sx-780 and one with sa-9800 but almost the same. I think this not normal. Possible reasons that i think
a) my ears are not good
b) hpm-60 is not good choice for the sa-9800 (is it?)
c) there is a problem with sa-9800

which one is more possible?

Probably ....a)

If you can’t hear good ,a recap,new speakers or amp wont be of much help.
Sorry not trying to be a jerk but if you have hearing problems you are not going to be able tell much difference between speakers yet alone different amplification or a fresh recap verses original caps.

Its like having bad vision & hoping a better or new camera will make your photos look better.

PQ

Probably ....a)

If you can’t hear good ,a recap,new speakers or amp wont be of much help.

Sorry not trying to be a jerk but if you have hearing problems you are not going to be able tell much difference between speakers yet alone different amplification or a fresh recap verses original caps.

Its like having bad vision & hoping a better or new camera will make your photos look better.

PQ

I have listened another 9800 with jbl 4410 I know it was different. Now recapping mine 9800 and bought 4410, I will keep updated.

Let's face it, the HPM-40 and HPM-60 speakers are pretty hideous. Instead of messing around with recapping the SA-9800, go audition some high quality modern speakers.

Let's face it, the HPM-40 and HPM-60 speakers are pretty hideous. Instead of messing around with recapping the SA-9800, go audition some high quality modern speakers.

I bought jbl 4410. Today I compared hpm 60 and 4410 by 60 on left channel 4410 on right channel. Yes they are like day and night :)

I've always found the speakers make the most difference and the amp/receiver makes the least difference. This assumes similar generations of equipment. For example, there was essentially no difference in sound between my Pioneer SX-1050 and Pioneer SX-1980. I think the 1980 might have very slightly deeper bass but just barely. I compared using my JBL L300s connected with an A/B switch and the same CD player connected to both receivers at the same time.

I also compared these receivers against my modern Yamaha RXZ7 home theater receiver. The Yamaha has less deep bass and different tonal characteristics. I can't say one sounded better than the other, just different.

It's very possible that there just isn't much difference sonicly between the receivers you are comparing. Receivers are supposed to supposed to be flat from 20hz to 20Khz so they should sound the same.

I wrote it for the generality of, if you don't hear much difference it may simply be there isn't much difference.

The sound of the two components is probably more similar than different -- although, given their age, the actual operating condition of the two components may not be anything like "as new", even if (perhaps especially if) both components have been re-habbed.

The loudspeakers being used for the comparison (EDIT: both the Pioneers & the JBLs) aren't, I'd opine, the sine qua non of loudspeakers and may have something to do with the OP's observation as well.

But still cannot hear much different from 780 and 9800 :) 9800 seems less bass and go deeper but thats all.

What you are describing may actually be less distortion (less mud for lack of a better term) resulting from more clean power hence the deeper bass.

I think you are on the right track with getting better speakers 1st.

In my experience the 2 things that make the biggest noticeable difference in
sound are...

A)speaker choice & placement
B)cartridge choice & set up if you are using a TT.

If you are questioning if a recap is in order I would 1st take the amp to a competent tech & have them run a simple diagnostic test to see if it is performing at or close to factory specs.

I am not against recapping gear see post 48 on this thread http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=649794&page=4

But the 1st place I would start is to see if the amp is working properly then you can decide if a recap is in order.
YMMV
Good luck with your SA9800 I love my SA9500:thmbsp:

Cheers
PQ

We finished all except eq board. Also changed transistors listed in the forum. There was a problem that happens sometimes, it was fixed after recap of power board. Hopefully it will be finished tomorrow. I will keep updated.

I've A/B'd instantly between so much gear (Not only between models within a brand but also between brands.) and source, speak and quality of both can throw achieving a real comparison WAY out of whack.

Learning the difference between "haroomph" from a courser lower end and "clear and tight haroomph" is something to learn to recognize. Another aspect is we learn to like a decent sound we are familiar with and takes a bit to recognize a better change. (Really tough to go back at times too once done.)

As much as I appreciate what an SX-780 does well (Does a lot good!) an SA-9800 will stomp it running through speaks that have better engineering. In the end I have to agree though that source and speaks truly diminish what happens "in the middle" in importance (if they are somewhat within the league of balancing) but once a "real deal" is in place there? OMG.....your soul smiles.

This is normal because all functioning amps sound the same. Lots of people claim differences in sound, but mostly they are deluding themselves, or are using defective or poorly designed gear.

This is normal because all functioning amps sound the same. Lots of people claim differences in sound, but mostly they are deluding themselves, or are using defective or poorly designed gear.

Oh dear. :thumbsdn:

(my 'troll radar' just switched the deflector shields to maximum).

Back
Top Bottom