Canton Karat 200 opinions?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by KingJT, Aug 13, 2017.

1. KingJT

KingJT Active Member

Any thoughts on Canton Karat 200s?
    Looking for a crisp, tight speaker that works well with guitar rock and some electronic music.
    I have a pair of KLH Model 24s that are great for jazz and classical but don't do it for rock for me.
    Probably be driving them with a Harman Kardon H/K 460i.
    What price range is sensible if they are in excellent condition?
    Thanks for any info/advice.
    Mike

2. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

While it is a great speaker, it is very revealing. And also demanding to drive, as they're not efficient and usually a 4 ohm nominal load. I like Cantons a lot but might not be a good choice for Rock and Electronic Music which is less than well recorded. Listen to them first, and see how you like them.

KingJT likes this.
  3. KingJT

KingJT Active Member

These are the 8 ohm version. Definitely would not attempt 4 ohm with the H/K. It seems to to struggle with anything under 8 ohms.
    By revealing do you mean that flaws in the recordings will be more evident or in the equipment driving them?
    I'm kind of ok with revealing limitations of the recordings as my goal is to listen to music with as little coloration from the equipment as possible. It's a little bit of a drive to see these so I thought I'd see what others thought.
    Asking 120 in excellent condition which seems reasonable.
    Thanks for the info.
    Mike

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  4. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Yes, the flaws in recordings are very well reproduced with Canton speakers. They're very detailed and accurate speakers. Which is why I recommend listening to a pair before you decide to buy them. I like Canton speakers myself. Good these are 8 ohms, easier load for your Harman-Kardon amplifier. In excellent condition, for the price asked, I think you're good to go!

KingJT likes this.
  5. KingJT

KingJT Active Member

I like music warts and all.
    I want to hear what went to tape.
    I'm hoping they will stick around until Tuesday when i might be able to go test them out.
    From your description, these sound like exactly like what i like.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017