Cap Coupled Goodness - Sansui 5000a/x vs Sony STR-6060?

Still loving this thing, only problem is I can't listen to my old gear anymore. :no: They drive me from the room, the Sony I want to just turn up and listen for hours. I now understand adjectives like "involving" and "musical".

There's a clarity and depth to the sound that I've not experienced.

Well, now you have a new problem. It's intoxicating. To loud to long can't be good. I need to keep it down but can't do it. It starts low enough but climbs out of control. I'm not talking about rock. It's the other acoustic music with all the detail.
I need to change my listening habits if I'm going to keep my hearing. I'm using a 14x16. I'm hoping a 20x30 is the cure with a new experience and adjectives so I return to a healthy sound level.

My Sansui 6060 has been dropping the left channel recently. I unplug the left input, plug it back in and, IT WORKS for a couple minutes. It keeps dying suddenly to a whisper. Unplugging and plugging that input seems to "reset" it. Any tips for me? I haven't opened it up yet but I'd growing eager.
Matt

I'm awaiting a pile of sonys. 6050, 6060, & 6065.
All cosmetically clean but all with issues.
I think I'll address the 60 first. I had an unrestored AU 919 years ago. It didn't wow me. I have a Sui 2000 on a shelf someplace. Pretty nice but relegated to back up use.
I have good intentions on doing Conrad Hoffmans mods on it some day.
I've been playing on the tube side. It should be interesting to see how these sonys repair and restore.

My Sansui 6060 has been dropping the left channel recently. I unplug the left input, plug it back in and, IT WORKS for a couple minutes. It keeps dying suddenly to a whisper. Unplugging and plugging that input seems to "reset" it. Any tips for me? I haven't opened it up yet but I'd growing eager.
Matt
Dirty left channel plug.

I'm awaiting a pile of sonys. 6050, 6060, & 6065.
All cosmetically clean but all with issues.
I think I'll address the 60 first. I had an unrestored AU 919 years ago. It didn't wow me. I have a Sui 2000 on a shelf someplace. Pretty nice but relegated to back up use.
I have good intentions on doing Conrad Hoffmans mods on it some day.
I've been playing on the tube side. It should be interesting to see how these sonys repair and restore.

Definitely let us know your impressions of the Sony's compared to your tube gear! I've read a few comparisons between the 2 and they generally favor the tubes, but not by much.

Sony 6060 is quite a beast.
I recapped my sx 1250 and 6060. The 6060 beats it hand down, no comparison. I feel so bad because pioneer is expensive but with the sony here, i dont need it.

I bought the 6060 with the understanding it powered up but passed no sound.
In my preliminary inspection and testing. I found it worked (always nicer to start witj a working unit.
(There is something flaky about the input jack, dirty , bad connection. I'm trying to get some listening time in while I get together a parts list and reread leestereo's restoration thread.
Old and unrestored its obviously a nice piece.

Follow up comment. Perhaps the most joy per dollar spent on this guy (figuring in that it came with 2 others). They got this very right. I'm almost afraid to do the upgrade / Restore for fear it won't sound this good when its done.
As i reread Lees thread I'm struck by how detailed he was. Like the old Ragu commercial ,"its in there"
I just have to measure things to make sure they'll fit. Trying not to place several Mouser orders. It always pisses me off to spend nearly as much on shipping as parts

Hey guys - I realize this thread is getting a little old, but I just picked up a 6060F. I've been reading about the FM stereo problem, but I can check mine b/c my balance knob doesnt seem to be working correctly. When I move it all the way counter clock wise (to the 6 o'clock position) it works and only the right channel is coming through the speaker. However, when I go as far as I can clockwise (about 8 o'clock) the left channel is stronger, but I still get sound through the right channel. Is that as far as it goes? There also seems to be a notch around 7 o'clock. Is that how everyone's works? Or is mine not working correctly? I'm also guessing the general advise would be to re-cap it. Does anyone know of any good Sony techs in the Philadelphia area that know these receivers specifically?

TomB (AKer) Brooklyn , Leesonic (AKer) south central jersey
In PA but probably further Wargo electronics.
In Delaware Brandywine (not sure if they do recaps)
edit 4-28
Not sure how i forgot about Doug Dlucy and he's in Philly (well not during the plague, but he'll be back)

Last edited:
Thanks. I know a few guys in the area. Leesonic is great. He did a cap coupled Pioneer for me, and it turned out great. I have one of AK'r DLucy's too - he's really good too, and they're both super nice people. I'll call them, but I was wondering if the tuner issue required someone with specific experience with this receiver/problem.

Cool. Thanks. This receiver really likes the Wharfedale W60s I have - more so than my other amps/receivers. They really came to life with the Sony. I definitely want to have it looked. All the bulbs are out so I can't really tell when the FM is in stereo or not. One other thing I've noticed is that it takes a moment before any sound comes out of after it's powered up. Is that normal?

Last edited:
Still loving the STR-6060F that I started this thread on a year ago... I've been trying to knock it off it's pedestal with some nice 80s receivers, but have not been successful so far. Most designs sound flat and lifeless in comparison.

Nakamichi SR-3A comes the closest, it's warmer sounding than the Sony. Still need more time to evaluate differences.

After reading a few comparisons between tube classics (Fisher 500, Sherwood S5000) and the STR-6060F, I've decided a classic tube amp would probably give more of the sound I like... if only Sherwood S-5000's weren't so difficult to find.

Last edited:
Hey fam I’m breathing new life into this thread as I have a lot of the gear that is listed here, I have a Sony STR 6060 that I just bought on eBay, it’s on its way now so I’ll post comparisons soon. Currently I have a sherwood s 5000 / s3000 tuner tube amp hooked up to my wharfedale w90s and have been swapping my Sony str 6065 in and out and comparing the two. The other speakers I have used them on include Altec bolero 890s, ar4xa, and Polk monitor 10s.

anyways, to me the sherwood has a little more midrange emphasis and has the best dynamics of any tube amp I’ve heard in its class, just fantastic sound, the Sony 6065 at 50wpc has a feeling of endless power which has not been apparent with other higher power amps I’ve used, there’s something like a brick wall of sound with it hooked up to my Wharfedale w90s, it’s a little “cleaner” overall than the sherwood, prob due to extra headroom. Regardless, if you were wondering about differences between these two amps, they are minimal when mated to higher efficiency speakers, I can’t make up my mind which one I prefer.

With the Polk 10s both amps came off as boomy and unrefined, but I think the 10s need a massive yamaha amp or something with different in sound signature altogether. Not recommended.

Altec boleros sounded great with either amp, I really think the s 5000 and the 6065 have almost identical qualities at times.

im excited to get ahold of my 6060 later this week and add that to the comparison.

@Madcap I think you're gonna like that 6060F. It was my favorite SS receiver when I wasnt listening to my Pilot 240, which is deliciously mid-rangy as you describe your S5000.

@corbin the only SS receiver that edged (and only by a nose) my 6060F is my H/K 730. All the qualities of the Sony, but a bit more dynamic and seems to pair well with any speaker and music genre. It might just be my last stop.

Back
Top Bottom