Capital Audiofest Nov 2-4 2018 Rockville MD

(No, I don't, but can't resist a joke. Seriously, how do these get installed, with a crane?)

(No wait--I have it--at that price you install the speakers first, and then build the house around them.)

Too funny that I should see this now, as just 15 mins ago I posted this.

The guys from VPI talked about Wilson setting up their room and these speakers. ........ After that, they put on a piece of classical music that included really low notes (maybe a really large cello?) and the speakers scared me. As in, I heard the sound and felt the primal need to run for cover. Really impressive.........My buddy who attended with me says these are Wilson Audio Axxis?

I'm a real Wilson fan. Remember being wowed by some Sashas a few years ago....

The speakers in question are Wilson Audio ALEXX ...... Around $110k I think.

https://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/alexx

Last edited:
Many (most) of the horn systems I heard at the show gave me an instant headache. However this setup was wonderful. Destination Audio NIKA.

IMG_20181103_120844591.jpg

IMG_20181105_211404.jpg

It's easy to see that the local AKers really turned out for this event. Thanks for the reviews and pics for those of us that couldn't make it.

I was blown away with how good the KEF Reference 1's sounded. BOOKSHELF LOUDSPEAKER!!!I

Glad to hear this. I hope to get some newer Reference series some day. There is a great deal out there on some Reference 3's right now (like half price) but still too rich for me! I mean I could probably make it happen, but I "shouldn't" if you know what I mean! For newer KEF, I've only heard LS50's, and they were really nice. Would love to hear newer Reference series and even Blades.

Did anyone catch the name of the tube amp powering the La Scala 70th anniversary editions at the show? I keep coming back to that memory and I'd like to know what tube gear I was hearing.

I went Friday. I am a sucker for Vu’s custom work. I thought the Devores with the Doshi Studer deck were also outstanding. I talked with John DeVore and Nick Doshi abit. Another listener had master tapes that were phenomenal. I was impressed with the large Quads in Russell Katz room. And hard to admit in public those planter speaker sounded pretty good.

I talked to Lenny from Just Audio for a bit. Those receivers and decks looked really good

I walked away with 2 mofi cds sacd and a mofi lp.

Did anyone catch the name of the tube amp powering the La Scala 70th anniversary editions at the show? I keep coming back to that memory and I'd like to know what tube gear I was hearing.
That was the Wolf Audio setup in the Democracy room? They wer a little screechy Friday. Might be the recording or not setup properly at that time.

That was the Wolf Audio setup in the Democracy room? They wer a little screechy Friday. Might be the recording or not setup properly at that time.

I can't remember the name of the room. It was on the same floor as the registration desk, but far down the hall past the elevators, almost at the bend in the hall.

Looking at the program, yes, it was the Democracy room. So, Wolf Audio and/or House of Stereo.

Back
Top Bottom