Capitals win Stanley Cup

I'm going to say the Pens could have done it.

I still don't understand why the Caps and Pens are in the same division. It's a great rivalry, but it's also why the Caps can be legit good and never go anywhere in the playoffs.
Caps have more Division wins and Pres cups than the Pens. Pens have more Conf wins and Cups......:(

I'm going to say the Pens could have done it.

I still don't understand why the Caps and Pens are in the same division. It's a great rivalry, but it's also why the Caps can be legit good and never go anywhere in the playoffs.
I could see that.
I also figured the Jets would have, too. Or the Preds. That was a heck of series.
I'm still stunned at how good the Knights were, and how far they went.

Division setups, and playoff brackets are a tough one. The quality of teams in any division has some ebb and flow over the years. The Pens/Caps thing is similar to Oilers/Flames thing in the 80s. The only time the Flames got past them was when they scored on their own net, lol.

I will say that the more balanced the regular season schedule is the better.
And that business where the east and west barely played each for a few years there was gross. Also screwed up the competitive balance.

Well, prior to 1991, the Pens were pretty much a non-factor. But that was also about the time that I really learned to hate the Caps :)
It's funny, you always remember when to start to get a hate on for a team, lol.
When I moved here the Flames thing was automatic. The Canucks took a bit. They were bad when the Oilers were a poor lunch bucket team, but could play. Then they became just a poor lunch bucket team while the Canucks became really good. A big part of the fanbase was just terrible to listen to, though.

Last edited:
Caps have more Division wins and Pres cups than the Pens. Pens have more Conf wins and Cups......:(
Pres cups don't mean jack. It's all about Stanley.
Ask the Canucks. A couple of Presidents, but the same amount of Stanleys as Kenora, heh heh.

Congratulations to the Caps and all their die hard fans who probably have endured more heartbreaking playoff disappointment than any fans in professional sports.

When we lived in NoVa we would go to a handful of games a year courtesy of my wife's boss who had season tickets. They were 3rd row right on the blue line between the benches. Great for hearing the players exchange pleasantries.....

Caps got lucky this year - that is all.

Luck can win games for you, but not a series, much less 4 of them, and they trailed in each one. They controlled the tempo in most of the games. They won on the road more than at home. They won 4 straight in the finals against a team that had not lost 4 games in a row all year.
They were the best team in the league in the playoffs.

The Caps have fired half a dozen coaches for doing poorly come playoff time. They win it all and then let him go.

From what I've read it was about the length of the contract he was looking for, as much as the money. The Islanders are getting a helluva a coach.

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom