(CAR AUDIO) 98 Grand Am full upgrade

Bassblaster

i know not a lot of car audio goes on here, but i don't feel like registering on a car specific site, here i am.
anywho buddy of mine has a 98 Grand Am GT sedan he wants a full system rebuild in it. i have some red flags i need to figure out.

1: How can i tell if it has the monsoon amplified system without digging into it? it already has a vintage 90's head unit so i cant just see if it says "monsoon" on the radio. it does have door tweeters, i think it might actually have the system. But ive seen cars with tweeters and no outboard amp.

2: The 4x6 speakers in the door. Metra has the 82-3300 for Cavaliers to put 6.5's in the factory 4x6 doors. would those adapters work on the grand am? not many choices for 4x6's that can handle some punch from a proper amplifier.

Last edited:
i know not a lot of car audio goes on here, but i don't feel like registering on a car specific site, here i am.
anywho buddy of mine has a 98 Grand Am GT sedan he wants a full system rebuild in it. i have some red flags i need to figure out.

1: How can i tell if it has the monsoon amplified system without digging into it? it already has a vintage 90's head unit so i cant just see if it says "monsoon" on the radio. it does have door tweeters, i think it might actually have the system. But ive seen cars with tweeters and no outboard amp.

2: The 4x6 speakers in the door. Metra has the 82-3300 for Cavaliers to put 6.5's in the factory 4x6 doors. would those adapters work on the grand am? not many choices for 4x6's that can handle some punch from a proper amplifier.

I thought the amp was in the trunk but could be wrong. And they did put the tweeters in the doors without the Monsoon system some years .

1) No idea about the "monsoon system".

2) I'm pretty sure the metra 4x6 to 6.5" adaptor can be used, haven't done it, but what could go wrong?

If you are going for a full system install with upgraded speakers and amplifiers then don't waste your time with speaker adapters. Break out the tin snips or cutoff wheel and make proper 6 1/2" openings in the door or bypass the doors entirely and make/buy some pods for the kick panels.

Kick panel placement usually leads to better staging/imaging as the path lengths tend to become closer to even.

If you are going for a full system install with upgraded speakers and amplifiers then don't waste your time with speaker adapters. Break out the tin snips or cutoff wheel and make proper 6 1/2" openings in the door or bypass the doors entirely and make/buy some pods for the kick panels.

Kick panel placement usually leads to better staging/imaging as the path lengths tend to become closer to even.
How do you suggest i put a 6.5 into this without the adapter?
frontdoorspeaker.jpg

frontdoorcavity.jpg

Remove the existing pod and use it as a template, trace the outer diameter and cut a piece of heavy masonite or plywood to match. Cut the appropriate size hole in the masonite/plywood for the speaker you want to mount.

Should take all of 30 minutes and $15.

Back
Top Bottom