Carl Richard of Carl's Custom Loudspeakers (of CT) has passed

80sKid

Who You Calling A Kid?
I know that a few AK members have had their speakers repaired or modded by Carl Richard of Carl's Custom Loudspeakers (of Enfield, Connecticut). So I thought that I should let everyone know that he recently passed away.

He and I were friends and both board members of the Connecticut Audio Society, and thus I knew him quite well. He was among the most genuine and pleasant people I've ever met. He always wished everyone well and was encouraging and helpful to many DIY audio guys. We will miss him.

-Chris Hart

Carl E. Richard, 74, of Enfield, beloved husband and best friend of 50 years to Sandra (Drumm) Richard, passed away November 11, 2017 after courageously battling cancer for over 20 years. He was the most loving father to daughter, Jennifer and her husband, Rich Cecarelli, and son, Jason and his wife, April. He took tremendous joy and great pride in being a "Papa" to his grandchildren, Charlotte and Andy Cecarelli, and Liliana and Maxwell Richard. Born August 8, 1943, Carl was the youngest son of Imelda Richard and was predeceased by his sister Rita, and brothers Harry and Raymond Richard. He grew up in Windsor Locks, CT. He graduated from STCC with an Associate's Degree in Machine Design and later WNEC with a Bachelor's of Business. Carl worked for Ahlstrom Dexter in Windsor Locks for 32 years as a Research and Design Engineer, and retired at the age of 62 to explore his many interests. Carl had many hobbies. He learned to play guitar in his early years before discovering a love for photography, and later audio speaker building and classical music. He loved watching the Red Sox and the Patriots play. He was an avid bowler, scoring a perfect 300 game in 2001. Carl also enjoyed traveling, cooking, fine wine and always had a curious, investigative mind. His favorite quote was "Love one another, we're all we've got." Carl's family wishes to thank the staff at the St. Francis Cancer Center for all of their care and support throughout the years. Services have been entrusted to Leete-Stevens Enfield Chapels. A celebration of Carl's life will be held privately. Donations in Carl's memory may be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105. For more information, or to leave online expressions of condolence, please visit www.Leetestevens.com.

Published in The Hartford Courant on Nov. 14, 2017

Attachments

• carl richard.jpg
    carl richard.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 58
Carl was AK member "spkrdtr". Maybe members will recognize his avatar?

28050.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. R.I.P. :(:angel:

Thank you for letting us know, and my condolences to you and the family.

Damn, I did not even know this business existed and I am 30 minutes or so from Enfield! So sorry to hear of another AK member's passing, rest in peace and condolences to the family and friends of Carl

So sad to hear. I talked with him several times about doing some crossover work on my Snells. A very kind and generous man. Him and only 1 other person I have talked to did I feel safe with those crossovers. Carl will be missed

Missed this thread the first time around, sorry to hear of this news... RIP Carl! :bye:

Sorry to read of Carl's passing - I liked his website, was thinking of getting him to recap my KLH Model Fives... {sigh}... RIP, Carl!

Carl was a special person. I found him two years ago while looking to have some Troels Gravesen crossovers built and installed in my Yamahas. He was already quite ill when we made contact and was worried about being able to negotiate the 80 pound speakers himself but agreed to build the crossovers and then invited me into his home so that I could do the heavy moving for him while he installed them. My girlfriend Lucy and I live a couple of hours away so we loaded up the speakers on a Saturday morning and headed up. When we arrived Carl had sandwiches waiting and we sat in the kitchen eating and getting to know one another for a good while before getting to work. We spent the whole afternoon working on and listening to the speakers. Not only did he make them sing like they’d never sung before, he taught me a good deal along the way...a great good deal. He was a wonderful guy who I think of just about every time I sit down for a real listen. That day was absolutely, and by far, the best experience of my hifi journey to date. He will be missed greatly, rip Carl.

He sure was nice. Recapped/rebuilt my AR-90s and my Infinity crossovers. Last time I was there we spent some time listening to his Intimates. Carl will be missed.

I'm sorry to say that I just saw this. I got in touch with Carl a couple of years ago to have him work on the woofers in my Snell speakers. Needless to say he was very helpful in providing packing instructions. I loaded both speakers into a box, surrounded with material as he had advised and shipped it off to his shop. Turn around time was excellent and after installing them back into their cabinets, they came alive. Bass that I hadn't heard in quite a while. My condolences to his family, his expertise will be greatly missed.

Back
Top Bottom