Cartridge for Pioneer PL-516

Balinus

Hello!

I bought a Pioneer PL-516 and I'd like to buy a new cartridge for it. I was thinking about the Shure M97xE.

http://www.lpgear.com/product/SHEC03.html

I was wondering if that particular item on lpgear.com comes with a stylus or do I need to buy one ?

Any suggestion instead of the Shure? The turntable will be hooked to my Sansui 9090 with Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers.

Thank you!

That cart does come with the stylus and it's a good match for your PL-516. I can't say with certainty that you'll like the cartridge but it does have many admirers, including me, and a few detractors. The same can be said of almost every cartridge on the market.

That cart does come with the stylus and it's a good match for your PL-516. I can't say with certainty that you'll like the cartridge but it does have many admirers, including me, and a few detractors. The same can be said of almost every cartridge on the market.

Great to know it comes with a stylus. Thanks!

I'll try that cartridge and see how it goes from there :)

If I may add another question?

The guy that sold me the TT said that there was an "almost new" cartridge and needle on it. It is a Tectron T812C. Is it a good cartridge or should I still go the Shure path ?

Thanks!

edit - or how about this cartridge for sale for 109$ (AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-120E): http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC06.html
How does it compare to the Shure M97xE ?

Last edited:
I have no experience with the Tectron cartridge so I can't give a useful opinion on it.

The AT-120 is an excellent cartridge that I like a great deal. It would also be a good match for your Pioneer. Whether you would like it better than the Shure I can't say, as they are both pleasing performers but with subtly different sonic signatures. Personally I slightly prefer the AT but would be quite happy with either one. Both are excellent trackers and will be easy on your vinyl as long as you mount and align them properly.

I have no experience with the Tectron cartridge so I can't give a useful opinion on it.

The AT-120 is an excellent cartridge that I like a great deal. It would also be a good match for your Pioneer. Whether you would like it better than the Shure I can't say, as they are both pleasing performers but with subtly different sonic signatures. Personally I slightly prefer the AT but would be quite happy with either one. Both are excellent trackers and will be easy on your vinyl as long as you mount and align them properly.

ok, thanks! I guess i won't know which one I'll prefer until I try them. I'll take the Shure and, with the lower cost of the Shure, buy a new belt.

Thank you again!

ok, thanks! I guess i won't know which one I'll prefer until I try them. I'll take the Shure and, with the lower cost of the Shure, buy a new belt.

Thank you again!

You really do have to compare them to tell what you like better. A lot depends on how they match your system, your listening room, and your personal preferences.

One very nice thing about the Shure ... when you get a few bucks saved up and feel the upgrade-itis setting in you can put Jico SAS on it and take it to pleasing new heights.

Last edited:
You really do have to compare them to tell what you like better. A lot depends on how they match your system, your listening room, and your personal preferences.

One very nice thing about the Shure ... when you get a few bucks saved up and feel the upgrade-itis setting in you can put Jico SAS on it and take it to pleasing new heights.

Yes indeed. I'm wondering if the AT-120E would be a better match to my Sansui. The Sansui is already warm and smooth to my ears and I wonder if the Shure would be too "dark". At least, from my readings, I'm getting that the Shure os more laid back than the AT-120E... I'll toss a coin!

About the aftermarket stylus, are the options for the AT-120E also interesting? Does the Jico SAS would make the Shure less laid back?

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes indeed. I'm wondering if the AT-120E would be a better match to my Sansui. The Sansui is already warm and smooth to my ears and I wonder if the Shure would be too "dark". At least, from my readings, I'm getting that the Shure os more laid back than the AT-120E... I'll toss a coin!

About the aftermarket stylus, are the options for the AT-120E also interesting? Does the Jico SAS would make the Shure less laid back?

Thanks for your feedback!

I don't have much experience with AT but I do recall that the 120 was a well regarded model in the low to mid price range. I suspect there are stylus options here. Maybe someone else wil roill in on it.

The M97xE get some knocks for high freq roll off, I guess you can call it laid back. it gets praise for low freqs and mids - very warm.

Sometimes the stock M97xE bores me and sometimes I like it. It requires careful set up and loading. The SAS improves it immensely, especially the high end details, and many people here use it with the SAS stylus and love it.

Finally bought the AT-120E with a belt. I'll update the thread with my impressions when I receive the order!

Thanks to everyone, that was useful information! now, the hardest part: waiting for the parts. :)

Installed the At-120E. The installation went smoothly. So far so good! listened to Thriller, Dark Side of the Moon and some "local" stuff, like Serge Fiori and the latest Arcade Fire (damn good!).

Nice sound! It's quite refined imho, more treble than the previous cartridge. it has lots of details. The sound is quite neutral, maybe too much neutral, as I like "warm" sound. Though, I've read that this cartridge goes towards a slightly more warm sound after the break-in period. If that's the case, this will be a nice buy! If it's not the case, I still like the sound I get from it as it is now.

Replaced the belt as well, even though the one that came with the TT looked fine.

Thanks again, I'm happy with the results!

Back
Top Bottom