Casting Speaker Emblems

lifer70

What?
Subscriber
Found a nice pair of Rogers LS2 speakers in good shape. Only problem is one of the emblems was missing. I found a pair of emblems on the bay for $20 including shipping. Only problem was they were for a different model. Saw a thread on AK that mentioned the process i used but very little detail.

The cost for materials was a little over $30 but now I can make quite a few before i use all the materials.

Cleaned up the emblem and cut down a paper cup for the mold frame. put a small amount of glue on the bottom of the emblem to keep it steady and not float into the mold.
20170416_111415.jpg

Silicone mold material poured over emblem.
20170416_132859.jpg

Let it dry overnight and remove emblem. I let the mold dry and cure for another 8 hours before pouring resin into the mold. Let the resin dry overnight and removed from mold.
20170421_145727.jpg

Spray painted the resin emblem with Rustoleum Satin Black.

20170422_092242.jpg

Used this product with a Q-tip to apply. Started on the s and applied to thick. applied a little thinner to the other letters and seemed to work better. Had to use a sharpened toothpick to cover spots where small bubbles cause indention's in letters. Some of the silver got onto the black background. Clean this with alcohol as the silver has a wax ingredient. I sprayed some of the black satin into a cup and used a toothpick to sharpen the letter edges with the paint.

20170422_101626.jpg

Lightly buffed with a micro fiber cloth. The finished product looks pretty good from a couple of feet away.

20170422_121342.jpg

The small bubbles (e) were from mixing the two part resin. I started "whipping" the mixture instead of gently stirring to avoid causing the bubbles.

Products used were,
Amazing Mold Rubber
Easy Casting Resin 8oz bottles
Rub'n Buff Silver.

My next project is a badge for a Pioneer HPM-40.

I've been trying this with crap results, the resin never firms up, (always limp). I'll try again based on you post. FWIW, if you use a straw and blow into the resin, the
mini bubbles will disappear. Nice job!

jcamero, my logo was a little flexible but not bad. Not rigid like i expected. I read in the other thread mentioned that JB Weld could be used. Think I will try that on the HPM-40 emblem.
Thanks for the straw tip.

I've been trying this with crap results, the resin never firms up, (always limp). I'll try again based on you post. FWIW, if you use a straw and blow into the resin, the
mini bubbles will disappear. Nice job!

Vibrate them out. Put it on your phone and have someone call you. Works like a charm.

If your resin isn't hardening, you might be using the wrong ratio, or you might be choosing a too-soft resin. Two-part stuff are not usually very forgiving if you get out of ratio.
Smooth-on makes some excellent products, some that are grindable when cured.

Excellent post, and great follow up with tips from others! Especially like the idea of using JB Weld. That product is tough, tough, tough.

Thanks, guys!

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom