Caterpillar Sixty

usedto

Lunatic Member
Thought you might like this. We had two Caterpillar Sixtys, built in the early 1900s. Here's a photo of one of them pulling a grain harvester on the ranch. I believe that's my grandfather driving it:

harvester AK.jpg

Here's what they look like restored:

I found this on youtube today - you sure have to give someone credit for building this:

The horse teams pulling the wheat harvesters around here were MUCH larger. I wonder how much of the crop they ate as they pulled that heavy load.

Driving through Lancaster PA this past Thursday and saw a team of horses pulling a tiller and manure spreader. Common sight around those parts.

BillWojo

Here's a 1928 Sixty at the Prairie Village Museum in Rugby ND. And a 1914 Case 75HP steamer that dwarfed the Sixty. Amazing how much smaller a tractor of similar power was in just 14 years.

Attachments

• IMG_8203.JPG
    IMG_8203.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8206.JPG
    IMG_8206.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 22
I watched a Sixty on a PBS show about the Everglades last night. It was running a sugarcane cropper that spit out the refuse which was being plowed under by another pulling a disc.

The one I drove was definitely narrow gauge. I could put it down the rows easily. The D4 they got was another story though.

Those pictures of old farming are great reminders of how things were done before modern GPS farming. Big difference

Back
Top Bottom