Caught the upgrade bug!

MtnBeachBum

As the title states I have caught the upgrade bug. I have a nice Dual 701 with a Shure V15 III LM cartridge. I have been happy with it, but ever since I finished cleaning and lubricating my Elac 50H and heard how wonderful it sounds I have been looking to replace the 701.
I have found the following for sale; Thorens TD-145 mkii, 146, 147, 160, 166 mkii and a Sansui SR-636.
I have always had an eye on one of the upper end Sansui tables. I know that I would like the Sansui but I also really like the Thorens tables. My question is which of the tables would be an improvement over the 701 cartridge differences not withstanding. All of the tables have been cleaned and serviced.

Get a third turntable if you must but I wouldn't dispose of that 701. As far as I'm concerned, it has more going for it than any of those Thorens models.

Like you, in a addition to a 701 I also have a 50H (not a II) plus a Garrard Zero 100, Dual 1009, Pioneer PL630 and a couple of others.

Last year a friend bought a Thorens at auction just because it was a Thorens - he remembered that name from the 1970's. I offered to service and clean it up for him. I'm not going to outright say what I though of it but I was sure glad it wasn't me who bought the thing. It would be impossible for me to live with - way too impractical.

Back
Top Bottom