CD/DVD Player with input to the DAC?

Lapslah

Does such an animal exist?

I'm considering purchasing my first stand-alone DAC, but I already have a Denon DVD-3800 with an internal DAC that I like, so I thought, wouldn't it be nice and convenient if the DVD player had an input to the DAC? I mean, I technically already have what I'm looking for - I just can't get the signal to it.

Am I crazy, or crazy like a fox?

I know it may be a limiting factor, but - what kind of budget did you have in mind?
and ... New ... or ... Used?

I was pretty sure some of the higher end OPPO units had this capability ...
so, I did a google - and found
https://www.oppodigital.com/support/blu-ray-bdp-105/

Here are specs on the Oppo BDP-105, for instance -
Inputs: HDMI Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, AAC, up to 5.1ch/192kHz or 7.1ch/96kHz PCM.
HDMI Video: 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p/1080p24/1080p25/1080p30, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.
MHL Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, up to 5.1ch/192kHz PCM.
MHL Video: 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p24/1080p25/1080p30, 3D frame-packing
720p/1080p24.
USB Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, 2ch DSD 2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz
Coaxial/Optical Audio: Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC, up to 2ch/96kHz PCM.

Although the BDP-105 had digital inputs, I'll note that my Oppo BDP-103 does NOT have the USB input feature.

Last edited:
best to my knowledge most cd players do not provide access to the internal DAC. Only output to an External DAC, bypassing the internal one.
I have a new Yamaha that has a usb input on frnt pnl but dont know where it goes from there.
the above model excepted.

Yup, there are/were some disc players with digital inputs - even some CD players, like for example the Cambridge 740C & 840C, the Harman/Kardon HD970 & HD990, the Quad 99 CDP-2, the Magnat MCD1050 and the Restek Epos+. And there also are/were some CD/SACD models e.g. from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha. The cheapest current CD/SACD model with digital inputs I'm aware of would be the Pioneer PD-50.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Thanks for the info, folks. I guess that's one more great idea that somebody else had before me!

ferni: Well, purpose & function would be pretty much the same as with a separate DAC - to provide a DAC section for devices that have none of their own or a better/alternative DAC section for devices that already have one of their own. For example, one could use a digital input to hook a TV set with SPDIF-out to one's hifi system. In addition it would provide the possibility to still make use of the good DAC section, even if the drive is broken and can't be repaired due to unavailability of special replacement parts.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I guess that's one more great idea that somebody else had before me!

Well, given that it's not exactly a far-fetched idea, that's probably not that much of a surprise...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I do use my Oppo BDP-105's digital inputs in this way. I have a Mac Mini connected optically as a music server, as well as a DAT deck and a digital TV receiver. Not only does it work nicely (input switching is easy on the Oppo) but the internal DAC sounds better than any other converter I have available. So for me it's a terrifically convenient and helpful feature.

Back
Top Bottom