• DVD player because I can listen to multiple formats

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Cd player because a dvd player with my audio system would just be wrong

Votes: 27 11.2%
  • I have both a cdp and dvd in my system

Votes: 72 29.9%

• Total voters
I have both cdp & dvd..

But to be honest, my basic current Sony dvd sounds better than my near top line circa 1991 Sony CDP, so I tend to use it more now. The CDP has to go anyway as it is starting to give me trouble, but I will replace with another CDP, not a DVD player.

Maybe it's time to look for an outboard DAC...

DVD player.

I like function over form. Any DVD player can not only play DVD's, but can play audio CD's, and usually a bunch of other formats as well.

I have a Pioneer PD-M552 CD Changer (6 disc cartridge type) in my system (running through my preamp) for parties etc. I then use a Cambridge Audio 540D DVD player as my main Digital source direct into my Pioneer SA-9100 amp.

Then in the TV section of the system I have a JVC DVD player for the movie stuff,

In my Office system I have a killer nice silver faced Samsung HD-850 DVDP as my only digital source.

So I guess I'm 3 to 1 DVD

I've been using Toshiba DVD players for CD's for the last couple years. I would like to try the player to DAC route one day- I like DIY, so maybe I'll find a kit for one.

I would get a dedicated Sony CD player from the late 80s or early 90s. But CDs are simply not my primary sound source. So I just use my DVD Player which sounds fine to me.

For CD listening I'm a using a redbook Cambridge Audio 640 C V 2 player. I' ve tried a few DVDPs but their sound quality was always a step lower than the Cambridge.

cd player alone is best...after all, it is my audio system, not the video system. I'm currently using a jvc cd player...its not that good.. I'll upgrade to a harmon kardon when i find one cheap locally!

jvc? Harmankardon c'mon man sony es is where the music is!!

hmm not so simple for me. In my stereo system, with no tv, I kept to cd player. In the other system which does have a tv I went with the Oppo bluray/cd/dvd/etc. Before the Oppo, the dvd player was a ps 2.

For me I guess the decision was more based on what uses I want at the location and in what formats do I have music. I think the only music I have on dvd is the Neil Young Archives. I have a reasonable sized cd collection.

Now I will try and translate this to a single vote for the poll.

Last edited:
I use the cheapest DVD player i can find.That way when it dies in 2 years it's no big deal.Sound quality is no problem as i always play cd's through a EQ that is set to make it sound more like vinyl.

Nick

I have a real nice older Luxman for my cds, but I also have a Denon dvd audio player for my dvd audio and sacd discs.

I use the cheapest DVD player i can find.That way when it dies in 2 years it's no big deal.Sound quality is no problem as i always play cd's through a EQ that is set to make it sound more like vinyl.

Nick

Ditto. There are plenty of inexpensive and good sounding dvd players made by good companies like Yamaha and Harmon Kardon. I see no need for spending serious coin for a dedicated cd player.

I use the DVD now. Mainly, because I rarely listen to CDs anyway, I decided to give my CD Player/recorder to my nephew with some other gear. Just couldnt justify a CDP takin up space in my rack. In the Cave, the DVD is hooked to my 42" Plasma and is only used for Concert DVD's and CDs

Back
Top Bottom