• YES

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...

And Volkswagen bugs and Dodge Chargers from the sixties are both automobiles.....but you don't see them in the same car clubs now do you ?

;)
By that thought, every CD and streamer brand should have its own forum. I don't want my Oppo player put in the same section as some other riff-raff brand that I didn't buy. I have an Aiwa mp3/CD player, it surely does not belong in the same section as my Oppo. ;)

I voted "no" despite having plenty of them (in reality only one dedicated CDP; the rest are DVD or Blu-Ray players picked from thrift stores due to their capability of playing various types of media, mostly SACD and/or DVD Audio, also one that will play HD-DVD "because I can" (yeah, like I'm likely to find a HD-DVD, but I can play it if I do. Same reason I have a 4-channel R2R. It was there, I bought it.)

The reason I did so is I believe that as time goes on we will all be taking our physical digital media and ripping it and consuming it that way; getting the transport out of the signal chain and concentrating on the quality of the DAC can only improve the experience. Just MHO of course. The only reason I have players is in case I come across SACDs or DVD-As.

If not CD Players, why not "Disc Players" ?
My Oppo players and so many other units don't really care what KIND of disc you feed them - they all come out good!

My Oppo players and so many other units don't really care what KIND of disc you feed them - they all come out good!

It would be cool if CD Players, OPPO Players and SACD Players and their own mediums were all in one section apart from the digital world as they all are the evolution of the same process. Discs and players....

By that thought, every CD and streamer brand should have its own forum. I don't want my Oppo player put in the same section as some other riff-raff brand that I didn't buy. I have an Aiwa mp3/CD player, it surely does not belong in the same section as my Oppo. ;)

Your OPPO Player, is still just that.....a player that you pop a disc into. All sentimentalities aside there are no riff-raff brands of equipment that people should be looking down their noses at.

Your OPPO Player, is still just that.....a player that you pop a disc into. All sentimentalities aside there are no riff-raff brands of equipment that people should be looking down their noses at.
Exactly, that was sarcasm related to the off-subject car club remark that I quoted.

So what about those disc players that stream digital formats? How are questions like "I am looking for a universal player than can also stream music" be handled? Many of the disc players also work as streaming devices these days. Not sure why they can't just go in the digital source section as a "catch all"... like they do now?

The point is actually the differing enthusiasm between the already established groups of Digital and Disc players as one has no interest in the other...but yet they are in the same category ???

Everything else is just personal preferences...

Last edited:
The point is actually the differing enthusiasm between the already established groups of Digital and Disc players as one has no interest in the other...

Everything else is just personal preferences...
The disc is just a piece of plastic where the digital file is stored. It is still just another digital source.

The disc is just a piece of plastic where the digital file is stored. It is still just another digital source.

What....

Just like all automobiles are a SOURCE of transportation, but yet the technology sets them apart just like the difference between digital setups and Disc Players. Automotive technology and digital technology are relative of each other...

Last edited:
Do we not have differing categories for music based upon enthusiasm ????
Not the same thing. This is a forum for audio. They could have forums for every sub-genre of music, as well. However, they have one forum for "Music" and let people create threads for the genres/artists they want to talk about. Having CD players mixed in with other digital sources is in the same vein. I like Frank Sinatra, on SFF they have a forum specifically for Frank's music. They don't have that on Audiokarma and I would not expect them to have forums based on enthusiasm because it would be hard to tell the enthusiasm for something before you create the forum.

They could stick CD players in a subforum, which would make as much sense as having one for PC music (though, PC require a lot more time and process as part of the regular setup), so I would not be completely opposed to that concept. I just think it is overkill for the medium. I have a lot of enthusiasm for Airplay, maybe they need a subforum for it and Chromecast Audio has a lot of enthusiasm, maybe a forum for that, as well?

Heck, the iPhone is probably the most used audio device on the planet, maybe it deserves a forum and maybe one for Samsung, as well? Also, they have PC forum, but what about enthusiasm for Macs vs PCs. Maybe Macs deserve to be put in their own sub-forum? It goes on and on and on....

Last edited:
Yah...

But some of us don't want to weed through the digital jungle just to occasionally read something about CD Players. So many people into digital don't consider CD's to be even a viable source anymore. Then what, the CD slips away just like the cassette did ??
If anything I have said prior on this thread in any way in indicated that I am anti CD I'd like to say now that is not the case. I use them all the time, just not with a $1000 player, but a $40 optical drive data extractor where the music files then reside as a FLAC, or APE format file on a drive. I happen to like CD's as a good compromise digital source. I would rather discuss those in the music forums is all.

Last edited:
Not the same thing. This is a forum for audio. They could have forums for every sub-genre of music, as well. However, they have one forum for "Music" and let people create threads for the genres/artists they want to talk about. Having CD players mixed in with other digital sources is in the same vein. I like Frank Sinatra, on SFF they have a forum specifically for Frank's music. They don't have that on Audiokarma and I would not expect them to have forums based on enthusiasm because it would be hard to tell the enthusiasm for something before you create the forum.

They could stick CD players in a subforum, which would make as much sense as having one for PC music (though, PC require a lot more time and process as part of the regular setup), so I would not be completely opposed to that concept. I just think it is overkill for the medium. I have a lot of enthusiasm for Airplay, maybe they need a subforum for it and Chromecast Audio has a lot of enthusiasm, maybe a forum for that, as well?

Heck, the iPhone is probably the most used audio device on the planet, maybe it deserves a forum and maybe one for Samsung, as well? Also, they have PC forum, but what about enthusiasm for Macs vs PCs. Maybe Macs deserve to be put in their own sub-forum? It goes on and on and on....

Last time I looked, people are posting their music choices based on their preferences. There are separate R&B threads and separate Classic Rock threads so you put a hole in your own bucket !!!! Because the two groups don't share the same enthusiasm just like the digital crowd don't consider CD's as a viable digital source. Just like Classic Rock enthusiast don't consider R&B to be a viable choice of entertainment....there should be different sub-forums under Digital for all the differing digital interests. Just like people talk about the different LP recordings so to should there be a place for CD enthusiasts to share information about the better recorded CD's and why their isn't is based upon bias...

The forums have already suffered much Balkanization. We are already past the point of being new-user friendly. Experienced posters know where to post what.

The reasons why this won't happen have already been covered, in previous posts.

If someone has some compelling reason in support of the idea, please write me, and I'll consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom