CD players without internal DAC

may29901

Is anyone making a high quality CD transport designed to be used solely with a separate external DAC?
As an option for a lower priced but quality CD player....for those people who will upgrade their DACs periodically..

The new nad 516 is $299, it has has the dac outputs along with a internal choice, i use mine with a cambridge dac

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (16).jpg
    FullSizeRender (16).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 23
I believe the Cambridge might be the only dedicated, DAC-less transport at a reasonable price point. But many good CD players have digital outputs, which bypass the player's internal DAC, allowing you to use it the way you have asked about. That massively increases your choices.

Is anyone making a high quality CD transport designed to be used solely with a separate external DAC?
As an option for a lower priced but quality CD player....for those people who will upgrade their DACs periodically..
Why not just use the digital outputs available on practically every CD player? This will bypass the internal DAC so you can use any DAC you want.

Got it! Like it a lot.

Use it with the DAC module in my Bryston Integrated amp.

The other option was a $2,000 Moon Audio unit that sounds a bit better and has as an option for a superb optional DAC. If you want the last 2-3% go for the Moon, For the rest of us, I would recommend the Cambridge CX-C. I would also recommend their matching Integrated amps if SQ and value are a high priority.

I have the Cambridge CXC and I really enjoy it with my Xiang Sheng DAC-01A, a pretty low-end DAC. So, someday I might upgrade the DAC when I win the lottery. My only gripe about the CXC is that I can't get the display bright enough even at maximum brightness level. I has replaced a Denon CDC-1560, which still functions and gets used periodically.

There are several models of CD transports standalone. What is your budget? The good ones are not cheap. E.g.,

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-note-cdt-oneii-cd-transport-dac-21x-signature-da-processor

PS: following Richard Austen hint!

Back
Top Bottom