CD Storage for Expedit/Kallax shelves

grillebilly

Empty Head
I would like to use a few shelves of an Expedit for CD's. The cube is about 13" square and 15" deep. I was hoping one of us has come up with an inexpensive storage solution that utilizes the most area but still makes it user friendly.
I found one cheap way using 4 long boxes. They would need handles on the front so they could be pulled out separately. The front would also be labeled with the contents alphabetically and by genre. Here are the boxes, 4 would fit nicely per square, I think removing the end flaps would be necessary. This method would hold about 120 per square.

https://www.amazon.com/Packaging-Wh...ords=shipping+boxes+6+x+6+x+6#customerReviews

It would be better, of course, to use something a little nicer but other options run into the hundreds of dollars. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Back in the old days it was really easy to find things like this:

domino_45_cd_storage_rack_in_black-ATL10463-z.jpeg

usually had a keyhole slot of some sort which made it easy to mount on a wall, inside a shelf or whatever you were trying to do.

I have one of the snap together boxes, and it does it's job, but the ends tend to come unsnapped from time to time and I don't feel like it would be very sturdy standing up on an end, if that's what you were trying to accomplish.

I have one of the snap together boxes, and it does it's job, but the ends tend to come unsnapped from time to time and I don't feel like it would be very sturdy standing up on an end, if that's what you were trying to accomplish.

I want to stack two inside each square. Maybe 3 or 4 of the 13" squares of the 25 in my large Expedit. I will probably cut a piece of cardboard to lay between them. The reviews said to use glue on the snaps to keep them from coming apart. Here is the shelf I have, courtesy of CactusBob's photos
http://s305.photobucket.com/user/1902783das/media/Miscellaneous Stereo Gear/NewExpedit.jpg.html

How about the shallow fabric or canvas folding storage bins. Walmart offers some shallow height ones. They don't have dimentions on thier site. If I still have photo of my tall ones with records will attach. Think mine are just under 13" high x under 13" wide x 15 deep. Walmart Mainstays $4.50 each. I table saw 1/4" mdf sheet into 12" squares. Place One at each end.
edit: I saw post #2 after posting. With a lid they are probably better.

Attachments

• IMG_20170227_185047.jpg
    IMG_20170227_185047.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
The CD storage bin came in today. It looks to be rather nice. It has a leathery finish to it. The plus sides are it stores them neatly and efficiently, and away from dust and light. Two will fit nicely stacked on a single shelf. The box isn't that rigid, so I went with the recommendations in the reviews and used glue on the snaps. The downside is you need to open the box to pick something out. So using the tab on the front is going to be a must. Not alphabetically as much as sub-genres. I could fill one easily with blues piano. So put on the tab what you want to listen to. No need to look through Sinatra CD's when you want to hear Sonic Youth. Here is what it looks like on a shelf. I'm going to order a bunch more.

cdstore.jpg

IKEA has 2 drawer units that fit into a kallax partition. Was just looking for something like this over the weekend

They look really sharp. I wonder if they will be sturdy enough to hold cd's? I just looked at the assembly instructions and they have sliding drawers that look very sturdy. Only question now would be inside dimensions of the drawers. They need to be around 10 inches wide to put cd's side-by-side.

Last edited:
I drove out to Ikea today to look at the drawers. Not the solution I was looking for. They are not tall enough to put a CD in so you can read the label, and even if you could they don't pull out far enough to see the last 15 in that row. This box looks like the best way so far. That will allow 120 CD's per square in jewel cases.

sns01658_1.jpg

15583743493474093897157837575831.jpg
Snap N Store CD boxes. About $7.50 for package of two at Amazon, recently.
5-3/4" total high with CD inside. CD is 1/2" protruding above base box. About 6" wide. 14-3/8" long. Holds 30-32 standard jewel boxes.
Box at right is an older Snap N Store DVD box which holds three rows of 18 CDs each.

Back
Top Bottom