Cd vs flac

Discussion in 'Digital Integration' started by wanders, Oct 1, 2017.

1. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

REALLY? Sounds great to my ears. Hmm. And to think, I really like that player. :dunno:

I know you're trying to help, in your own "no sugar in your coffee" way, Bott-ster.

The Meridian is the Director model (I think). When I first hooked it up, I was surprised how much better it sounded than my Dragonfly. If I had to guess, I'd say it is the laptop I'm using, or perhaps that I'm still using Winamp.

Regardless, I've also used a modded PS1, and my Yamaha CDX-1100U, and all sound superior to my digital setup (all ripped FLAC). It is a very small difference, but with those McIntosh XRT20's, you certainly can make it out with minimal effort.

2. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Here is my experience:

I have ripped hundereds of CDs to FLAC on my computer. When I send the files vie wifi to my Squeezebox Touch using the digital out into a DAC, the result is better than playing the same CD in CD player and using the digital out into the same DAC. I have used several CD players including heavyweights such as the Denon DCD-3520 and Yamaha CDX-1120. always the same result, a slight preference for the FLAC/Touch vs the CD when using the same type of digital output/input.

The only explanation I have heard that makes sense is that the CD reading is much older technology with error correction working in real time and doing some interpolating that may or may not be 100% correct. The readers in computers are more recent, more accurate and when ripping will go over sections multiple times as necessary to read the disc perfectly.

If audiophiles claim different digital transports can sound different and more advanced ones sound better, it makes sense that a more advanced (even if cheaper and less glamorous) way of reading those discs would yield a better result.

cpt_paranoia likes this.
  3. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

This is a good discussion that touches upon many key elements of system performance most of which deal with quality of transports, quality of media, etc...

One thing to remember is the quality of your source file, which translates across all media we all have used, and we all know a bad source sounds bad no matter how good your equipment is.

Standard CD encoding is PCM with a bit resolution of 16 bits per sample and a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz. When ripping a CD to flac you are not upconverting the resolution or sampling rate so any flac file ripped from a CD will carry through the same values. I do have a few CD's marked HDCD (not SACD) which surprisingly ripped to a 24 bit / 96 kHz flac file.

Where I hear a difference in flac is when comparing a 16 bit/44 kHz track ripped from a CD and a 24/96 or 24/192 track downloaded from the internet. When comparing the CD media and the ripped flac track from the same CD I don't hear much, if any, difference. I attribute that difference in how the file is processed on my system, the flac file by my McIntosh D100 DAC and the DAC chipset in my Oppo. As it is, they are all digital files that have to become analog somewhere in the stream so you can hear them.

Ripped CD files can benefit from quality gear, cables and terminations - not to mention the digital to analog processor you use - as with any other source.

This is my birthday contribution to this fine thread and not meant to fire up any hot discussions on the merit of CD's vs. flac or any other media format.

Enjoy your day and the discussion!

onwardjames likes this.
  4. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

It is an old player that was designed based on the current knowledge of Digital audio (which wasn't much) and based on DAC chips that have nee superseded by many new generations and also better designs.

As I said, unless you use the EXACT SAME DAC for playback and ripping (of the CD's) variations can occur - PS's are known for rolled off response in both bass and treble regions. You are basically comparing apples and oranges.