Cds trying to think of a reason.

Okay I had to tell a good story of my progress. I thought I was going to get rid of my Cds. I then decided to try a Ca Audio Delta and Sigma dac. It sounded so nice. I then on my other system got a Rega Planet and it even sounded better. Very analog like and I did not even use a nice dac I had. I then added a Apollo Cd player to my third system and am very pleased. So for me I am keeping my Cds and the reason is they sound so good on the equipment I have. I am glad I decided to try some different players. I have to many Cds not to enjoy them.

Okay I had to tell a good story of my progress. I thought I was going to get rid of my Cds. I then decided to try a Ca Audio Delta and Sigma dac. It sounded so nice. I then on my other system got a Rega Planet and it even sounded better. Very analog like and I did not even use a nice dac I had. I then added a Apollo Cd player to my third system and am very pleased. So for me I am keeping my Cds and the reason is they sound so good on the equipment I have. I am glad I decided to try some different players. I have to many Cds not to enjoy them.
I took my CDs to a half price book store to sell. The store offered me 14 cents a piece. They would have sold them for $3.00 each. I rejected their offer. I'm glad it did not work out, since playing those CDs on my new OPPO 205 brings me a lot of pleasure.

Been sorting my meager CD collection (compared to some folks) .. just stored part of them about 100+ Classical Music CD's in a box. Would never consider attempting to sell/trade them for pennies on the dollar. Most are damn good sounding. Eventually when I upgrade my DAP & Cans .. I'll rip them to a SD card (FLAC or ALAC) .. with the advancement in todays DAP/Cans tech, I'm expecting the rips to sound really good.

Last edited:
Just bought two CDS at Goodwill the other day. First CDS puchased in quite a long time! Im thinking about but still struggling with getting rid of physical media.

I buy used cds mainly because of the price. Around my neck of the woods they run 2 to 3 dollars plus tax.
My cd player sounds killer,gives my analog front end a run for its money.

I mostly buy new releases off Badcamp,as it supports independent bands and labels,print runs are limited.If the vinyl format has been sold out I will get the cd of it.
I would rather that than not have it at all.A cheaper way would be to buy the download but some how and oddly that doesn't feel right.

I mostly buy new releases off Badcamp,as it supports independent bands and labels,print runs are limited.If the vinyl format has been sold out I will get the cd of it.
I would rather that than not have it at all.A cheaper way would be to buy the download but some how and oddly that doesn't feel right.
I am guilty of the sin of pride, the pride of ownership. I will have to answer for that along with a bunch of others.

Last edited:
As far as the pride of ownership (CD as a physical product) concept. I remember the beginning of when that all changed for me.

Norah Jones first three CD's (which I did like) and use to own. Traded them in at the record exchange. The idea was .. at the time .. to replace them with new Vinyl copies at some point. Long story short .. never did. Whenever I'm in the mood to hear those albums .. I stream them on Tidal. Don't feel to need to own the albums (CD's) .. but yes I still like them.

Looking back (in hindsight) :idea: .. that's when it changed for me.

Last edited:
A cheaper way would be to buy the download but some how and oddly that doesn't feel right.
I enjoy buying downloads from a number of sources, including Bandcamp.

I seriously doubt the artist gets any margin on selling the plastic disk, box and shipping. The royalty is on the music itself.

I seriously doubt the artist gets any margin on selling the plastic disk, box and shipping. The royalty is on the music itself.

And you still own it on physical media! Just happens to be your hard drive of choice.

When it comes to CD's they are just the vehicle that gets the music on the NAS drive. Once that is done I'm with the Klingon's, once the body is dead, do with it what you wish! It has no value...

Yeah, probably the costs of the CD and middleman/delivery a % of which gets taken out of their pay I would imagine.

I work all day peering at a screen. I just prefer going home and handling the physical media, making choices with everything displayed in front of me, and the ease of checking lyrics/recording info by reading the case or liner notes.

Using a stand-alone DAC fed via coax optical from a CDP (changer), I have compared it to streaming from the webz and it truly sounds much better out loud through floor-standing speakers. I also enjoy the surprise miracles from a random mix of tunes I like and I chose, not some algorithm.

I suppose I could archive all my CDs as .wav files and set up software and a tablet to display/handle what was on the CDs, but I can't imagine having the time or inclination to spend more screen time doing that.

Also, as some have pointed out, CDs are darn cheap these days and we're spoilt for choice. I think they'll come back like vinyl has and people tire of "smart"phones.

I suppose I could archive all my CDs as .wav files and set up software and a tablet to display/handle what was on the CDs, but I can't imagine having the time or inclination to spend more screen time doing that.

Also, as some have pointed out, CDs are darn cheap these days and we're spoilt for choice. I think they'll come back like vinyl has and people tire of "smart"phones.
Ripping CD's to the hard drive shouldn't be difficult at all, and no real screen time either. The player I use (JRiver) I simply shove the CD's into the drive and listen to other music while it does all the work. All that is needed is to put new CD's in once ripped (usually no more than a few minutes per CD)..I could easily do a dozen or 2 in an evening, all the while listening to other music.

Back
Top Bottom