Cellphone photos. Caught anything interesting lately? Post em!

I was checking out the stylus on a newly acquired shure m91ed with a 2 lens magnifier my dad got out of an old microscope. There was so much gunk around it before I cleaned it that I could barely tell it had a stylus.

20161226_200454.jpg

I'm not a photographer's shoesoles but I often cringe at the pics taken with new generation phones which frequently seem out of focus and so dark one cannot see detail.

I truly don't understand the pics some folks seem to capture with their phones. It must be a setting they've inadvertently set. And why, with certain gear shot on the floor, their feet are shown.

:eek:

This is the Mill Creek trestle bridge on the Wadhams to Avoca Trail in St. Clair County, which is a rail trail that was formerly owned by the CSX rail company. Here is a picture from many years in the past:

PMRR_WadhamstoAvocaTrail.jpg

And today...

IMG_20160902_133705.jpg IMG_20160902_134704.jpg IMG_20160902_125404.jpg

Yesterday we went for a drive and took a walk down a riverbed on snowmobile trails that had froze up hard enough to walk on without post holing. Was about zero F out but no wind and with lots of layers so were comfy. Saw some eagles still hanging around after a late salmon run that occurs in Nov and Dec in this particular area due to warm springs keeping the river mostly ice free. In fact, in Nov this area is considered to have tyhe highest concentration of bald eagles in North America, if not the world! They come from all around for the fish spawning and it isn't uncommon to see a dozen eagles sitting on one tree! There are usually over 4000 eagles in one 10 mile stretch of the river..
20170111_135332 copy.jpg

20170111_135348 copy.jpg

20170111_135610 copy.jpg

20170111_135702 copy.jpg

Amazing! I love that kind of stuff!
I like the history that goes along with these rail trails. What is somewhat amazing is that on a bike, I'm traveling the same route that others used a century ago, before cars were commonplace. Some in this area were major lines that ran all the way down to Detroit's Michigan Central Station. There are also areas where, on Google Maps' satellite view, that you can see the remnants of old rail lines that continue past the end of the rail trails.

On one such trail, in fact, you can take a detour and see other historic features. One I discovered in 2015 was a remnant of the old Clinton Kalamazoo Canal. Construction had started in 1837 and was supposed to connect Lake St. Clair to Lake Michigan, in essence, providing a shortcut route for boats traveling to Chicago, as well as providing settlers a water route to places further inland. Canal Rd. in Clinton Township is named after the canal (a fact that very few locals even know about), and out by the Yates Cider Mill and a biking area to the west of that, there are unused segments of that canal that still exist.

Here is one of those trail markers, from the Paint Creek Trail (Rochester to Lake Orion). On another trail in Saginaw, they left up a couple of the old concrete markers (have to dig to find a pic of it).

IMG_20151007_145702.jpg

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1445049740718.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1445049740718.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 5
Found one, but it wasn't complete. (I was too tired after nearly 40 miles to stop and take a pic of the next one. :D ) This is from the Saginaw Valley Rail Trail.

IMG_20150924_151102.jpg

One neat feature on this trail is that they reproduced these old concrete markers with plastic "wood", engraved with mile markers for the length of the trail.

Cool thread!

One thing about this forum is that the photos are downsized too much unlike other forums I frequent with the same website software.

Caught this rainbow in my yard here in Mesa after a sunshower last weekend.

20170114_161957.jpg

Back
Top Bottom